Really odd situation.

Harrah's Lake Tahoe is heavily promoting the food service in the Highlander Bar on the 18th floor. At 11pm, they start serving quick meals, including a "full breakfast" (two eggs, meat, hash browns, toast) for $4.99, which is a great deal.

This is advertised throughout Harrah's and Harvey's, as well as various places in town. There is a huge electronic sign on the front of Harvey's promoting this, as well.

Here is one of the signs within Harrah's:

Name:  harrahs-highlander.JPG
Views: 1660
Size:  104.7 KB

They are basically going for the old school Vegas "cheap meal while you gamble" model, and apparently it's been successful.

EXCEPT...

It closes 30 minutes early every day.

Why?

"The cook wants to clean up and get to his next job at 6."

Say what?

So this heavily promoted late night meal ends 30 minutes early EVERY DAY, simply because the cook feels like cutting out early.

Just in case you are wondering, there is nothing on any sign (even in the fine print) stating that you have to order by 5:30. In fact, you probably can't order by 5:30, as that's the time the cook wants to start cleaning everything.

I got there at 5:40 and the cook was long gone.

The bartender said there have been "many complaints" about this. The front desk told me the same.

Why not just promote it as 11pm-5:30am then?

I assume because the cook is doing something he's not supposed to.

Let's just say that "someone" made the CET Tahoe Food and Beverage Manager aware of this, via e-mail.

It actually really frustrated me, because I was really tired, wanted to grab food, and go to sleep. Now I'm stuck staying up another hour until 6:30 when the American River Cafe opens.

As it stands, there are zero food options open at Harrah's or Harvey's between 5:30am and 6:30am -- an hour gap, which is only supposed to be half an hour.

I have a feeling this might be changing after today...