Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caesars restaurant in Tahoe market didn't know if it took RCs at 2:1 or 1:1, manager created loud confrontation when I wanted answer

LOL...look at james going all Rob Singer on Dan. Maybe james took those wise up lessons.

Originally Posted by james40 View Post
    I would have been stunned watching some middle aged guy brow-beating an employee over a few bucks. Jesus man, you just dropped a wad running 150K points through a VP machine to make 7star and you lose your mind over 2/1 vs 1/1 RC's? What's next? Going to the mat over an expired 2 for 1 buffet coupon?

Either your losses were/are a lot more than you are letting on, or you're thinking that your play at CET properties allow you to be abusive to employees. I've heard stories that poker players can be outright assholes, this kind of confirms it.
    If times are that tough for you 7 stars, tell me the difference in price between 1/1 or 2/1 RC's in this case and I'll send you the difference. PM me your paypal address.
    Maybe Alan can act as the escrow agent for this transaction.
    Last edited by coach belly; 01-30-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Originally Posted by james40

Originally Posted by coach belly View Post
    LOL...look at james going all Rob Singer on Dan. Maybe james took those wise up lessons.

Nah, I've never been a VP addict, never been bankrupt, and I can buy my cars without hitting a jackpot, so I think I'm wise enough.

I just don't like bullies.

How was I the bully if I was the one yelled at and humiliated in front of other patrons?

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Hard Rock at Harvey's isn't listed above.

When I went there in the summer, they broke the news to me that they didn't take RCs, but I was too tired to bother going elsewhere, so I just put it on my credit card.

I found out later (from someone here, maybe FAB) that you could charge it to your room and THEN pay in RCs.

I planned to do that this time, but they told me at the front desk that they would charge 2:1 if I did that, so I didn't bother.

I still wonder what the truth is.
    Hi Dan:

It never ate at the Harvey's Hard Rock so it was not me. However, I did eat at Straw Hat Pizza and I charged it to the room. I dug out my folio on my trip last year and I see that I was charged a total of $11.77 for breakfast, that amount was charged to the room then written off by my host. I did not technically use RCs as I drained them for free play before I checked out. If I have a RC balance, then the host uses them first even before the host can deploy any discretionary comps so I see no benefit to just have RCs taken away upon checkout by retaining any remaining RCs.

FAB

"But I'll tell ya what. If you want to cover the difference every time a restaurant won't tell me the price of my meal (or any other situation similar to this), I'll be glad to drop the matter and send the bill to you. Let me know if interested."

Now you're being a drama queen. You knew the price of the meal, it was on the menu. You were upset it might end up costing you a few more bucks at 2/1 vs 1/1. Tahoe is our main destination and the few times they have made mistakes, I have been able to resolve it without creating a scene. I don't puff up my chest and "try to set anyone straight".

If times are that tough for you 7 stars, tell me the difference in price between 1/1 or 2/1 RC's in this case and I'll send you the difference. PM me your paypal address.
    Given it would be paid at 1:1 or 2:1, it's not known what the price of the food was.

You were "seething" and went back down to give her "a piece of your mind". You created a scene then went back to create another scene. You ask what I would have done? I'd have paid the bill then calmly found the answer later from the TR desk and gone on with my life. I can afford to pay my bills without making a scene. I guess getting a $100 comp was the ultimate goal, so congratulations to you, but my reputation means more to me than a $100 food credit.
    I was seething because a MANAGER at a restaurant made an unnecessary scene and caused the entire restaurant to stare at me like I was some kind of huge asshole who made a young woman upset.

This all occurred because I wanted an answer to an important question -- one which would determine whether or not my meal would cost double than what was expected.

I wasn't attempting to get any comp as a result of this situation. I reported this to the general manager (who then handed it to her boss, the F&B manager) because I didn't appreciate the nasty way I was treated, and wanted management to be aware of it.

The $100 offered to me was a nice gesture, and I accepted it, but it occurred at the end of the phone call, and I hadn't planned upon asking for anything had nothing been offered.

Could I have "gone on with my life" by simply taking the chance that it was 2:1, and then having paid double (with no recourse) if that turned out to be the case? Yes. I was planning to spend about $40-50 on the meal, so that's what it would have cost me.

That's by no means a large sum of money, but this is a case where the principle mattered.

I asked a restaurant manager to be able to tell me the price of my food, she couldn't, and then she loudly scolded me in order to shame me in front of the rest of the patrons.

That's never acceptable.

Not sure if you've ever worked in the service industry, but yelling at customers (especially when they haven't yelled at you first) is a HUGE no-no, and grounds for instant firing in most places.

This woman lacked the necessary knowledge of her own restaurant, the humility to realize that she did lack such knowledge, and the temperament to keep her emotions to herself once she got upset that someone needed to know something she couldn't answer.

This was not my fault as the customer. I tried very hard to politely find out the information, but I was getting resentment and anger in return.

It's completely unfair to call me an "asshole" because I didn't appreciate being yelled at because I wanted the answer to a question they should have known.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

I was seething because a MANAGER at a restaurant made an unnecessary scene and caused the entire restaurant to stare at me like I was some kind of huge asshole who made a young woman upset.

This all occurred because I wanted an answer to an important question -- one which would determine whether or not my meal would cost double than what was expected.

I wasn't attempting to get any comp as a result of this situation. I reported this to the general manager (who then handed it to her boss, the F&B manager) because I didn't appreciate the nasty way I was treated, and wanted management to be aware of it.

The $100 offered to me was a nice gesture, and I accepted it, but it occurred at the end of the phone call, and I hadn't planned upon asking for anything had nothing been offered.

Could I have "gone on with my life" by simply taking the chance that it was 2:1, and then having paid double (with no recourse) if that turned out to be the case? Yes. I was planning to spend about $40-50 on the meal, so that's what it would have cost me.

That's by no means a large sum of money, but this is a case where the principle mattered.

I asked a restaurant manager to be able to tell me the price of my food, she couldn't, and then she loudly scolded me in order to shame me in front of the rest of the patrons.

That's never acceptable.

Not sure if you've ever worked in the service industry, but yelling at customers (especially when they haven't yelled at you first) is a HUGE no-no, and grounds for instant firing in most places.

This woman lacked the necessary knowledge of her own restaurant, the humility to realize that she did lack such knowledge, and the temperament to keep her emotions to herself once she got upset that someone needed to know something she couldn't answer.

This was not my fault as the customer. I tried very hard to politely find out the information, but I was getting resentment and anger in return.

It's completely unfair to call me an "asshole" because I didn't appreciate being yelled at because I wanted the answer to a question they should have known.
    In a situation like this,if a male manager would be yelling at a customer,there would be a very high chance of reprimand or dismissal,but a young 20 something woman,they get the..(PussyPass).

Alan, the problem with charging meals to your room is you end up paying the sales tax.. they take it off if you use your RC on the spot.. that adds up after awhile..
    JustaDiamind is now justa-seven-star..

Originally Posted by JustaDiamind View Post
    Alan, the problem with charging meals to your room is you end up paying the sales tax.. they take it off if you use your RC on the spot.. that adds up after awhile..
    Don't you get a discount at the restaurant when you present your Seven Stars Card when you ask for the check? I recall getting a discount equal to the sales tax. Then I sign and charge to my room.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    Don't you get a discount at the restaurant when you present your Seven Stars Card when you ask for the check? I recall getting a discount equal to the sales tax. Then I sign and charge to my room.
    No, I've never seen anything like this before.

And yes, JustaDiamond is correct. When you charge to your room, you pay sales tax.

It actually shouldn't be this way. It's an oversight in how the system was built to process such transactions. The sales tax should be taken off, because no sale was made when paying RCs (you are using internal points to pay for items they are giving you from their own store/restaurant). Think of it like me giving you 10,000 "Dan Druff points", and allowing you to come over to my house to use them to take items for which I assign points (for example, a toaster being 2000 points). Provided no actual money changed hands, sales tax would not be owed in such a transaction.

Unfortunately, the charge-to-room system simply forwards the charge over, and at that point the hotel has no way to tell whether it was a taxable transaction or not, so you just have to pay it.

Third party restaurants accepting RCs (such as Strip House in Planet Hollywood) DO charge sales tax, because a sale actually is being made when you use RCs. Essentially, Caesars is buying the meal from Strip House, and then giving it to you, so you have to cover the tax.

Therefore, the hotel system can't tell whether the tax is from a CET-owned restaurant or a third party one, so it doesn't take the tax off, even if paying by RCs.

This wouldn't be hard to fix, but they don't seem interested in doing so.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Gee... I get a discount when I show my Seven Stars Card. Always have.

Gee... I get a discount when I show my Seven Stars Card. Always have.
    Way to go Alan, now some other low level assistant manager is going to be getting grilled by Dan why he isn't getting the 7 star discount.

Not only do I get a discount, but I present my card to be sure I get the points for dining -- tier points and reward credits.

Not only do I get a discount, but I present my card to be sure I get the points for dining -- tier points and reward credits.
    Dan's head may explode.

most Vegas restaurants dropped the SS discount last year I think.. some in AC still offer it...
    JustaDiamind is now justa-seven-star..

I have never seen a Seven Stars discount.

I've seen that weak (usually $1 per item) Total Rewards discount, but that applies to all TR members.

I know there's a Seven Stars discount at the gift shop and maybe the spa, but never at a restaurant. I have asked before and they told me it didn't exist. Weird.

I've also never seen a Seven Stars discount at restaurants in any of the official Seven Stars documentation.

If it really did exist and I didn't grab it while it did, I guess I threw some RCs away. Oh well, too late now.

If you know that Caesars restaurants are 1:1 you could have asked that and maybe she would know, but not everyone has the passion that you may have with their job. I spoke to a host and I was shocked they didn't know anything about any benefits when you can go to Rincon's presentation for I think 40 min. I forgot how long and you would know thousand times more than this host. He was nice and admitted that he should know all my questions and that he didn't learn it in training.

Anyways, some may consider it like if you're at an Applebee's and they take credit cards and you ask about some offer your C.C. has and ask the manager how many points do I get when I order the burger and fry's. Like what's my cashback percentage.

Obviously that's not what happened, but someone working at the restaurant might consider it that way. You definitely worn't treated right and by making a post and commenting to the manager saying what happened is totally the right thing to do.

Replying saying that T.R. will know the answer is pretty valid because they should probably know more about how the points work, but yes the restaurant should know, but dude I didn't even know they charged 2:1 at certain places and if someone that works there doesn't get informed that then they wouldn't know either. I probably would have replied saying I'm not sure, but then find out the answer for you because telling a customer to go walk out or do it themselves when they should know the answer isn't right.

Not all customer service is perfect. I mean them giving you $100 seems like it was pretty nice.

No, I've never seen anything like this before.

And yes, JustaDiamond is correct. When you charge to your room, you pay sales tax.

It actually shouldn't be this way. It's an oversight in how the system was built to process such transactions. The sales tax should be taken off, because no sale was made when paying RCs (you are using internal points to pay for items they are giving you from their own store/restaurant). Think of it like me giving you 10,000 "Dan Druff points", and allowing you to come over to my house to use them to take items for which I assign points (for example, a toaster being 2000 points). Provided no actual money changed hands, sales tax would not be owed in such a transaction.

Unfortunately, the charge-to-room system simply forwards the charge over, and at that point the hotel has no way to tell whether it was a taxable transaction or not, so you just have to pay it.

Third party restaurants accepting RCs (such as Strip House in Planet Hollywood) DO charge sales tax, because a sale actually is being made when you use RCs. Essentially, Caesars is buying the meal from Strip House, and then giving it to you, so you have to cover the tax.

Therefore, the hotel system can't tell whether the tax is from a CET-owned restaurant or a third party one, so it doesn't take the tax off, even if paying by RCs.

This wouldn't be hard to fix, but they don't seem interested in doing so.

Yea, I noticed that lol. I was like how do I have a bill I'm using my R.C.'s. Yea, it's somehow with the accounting. It's like you already charged it to the room so it's a purchase then you use the points to pay it after the fact of the transaction being placed and is already billed and everything.

Originally Posted by str8upbrah View Post
    If you know that Caesars restaurants are 1:1 you could have asked that and maybe she would know, but not everyone has the passion that you may have with their job. I spoke to a host and I was shocked they didn't know anything about any benefits when you can go to Rincon's presentation for I think 40 min. I forgot how long and you would know thousand times more than this host. He was nice and admitted that he should know all my questions and that he didn't learn it in training.

Anyways, some may consider it like if you're at an Applebee's and they take credit cards and you ask about some offer your C.C. has and ask the manager how many points do I get when I order the burger and fry's. Like what's my cashback percentage.

Obviously that's not what happened, but someone working at the restaurant might consider it that way. You definitely worn't treated right and by making a post and commenting to the manager saying what happened is totally the right thing to do.

Replying saying that T.R. will know the answer is pretty valid because they should probably know more about how the points work, but yes the restaurant should know, but dude I didn't even know they charged 2:1 at certain places and if someone that works there doesn't get informed that then they wouldn't know either. I probably would have replied saying I'm not sure, but then find out the answer for you because telling a customer to go walk out or do it themselves when they should know the answer isn't right.

Not all customer service is perfect. I mean them giving you $100 seems like it was pretty nice.
    The $100 was definitely generous, and I appreciated it.

However, it should be noted that this came from the Tahoe Food and Beverage manager, and not the restaurant or its management.

The bottom line in this situation was that the acting manager was annoyed that I wanted the answer to the 1:1 vs 2:1 question, and wanted me to actually just take the chance in the dark, and end up paying double if it turned out to be 2:1. Somehow she thought that was a proper answer to give me, and got angry once I wasn't accepting that ridiculous "solution".

I proposed other solutions to rectify the situation, and she rejected those, as well, eventually making that nasty comment to me and storming off.

But this isn't really up for my interpretation or yours. The Food and Bev manager confirmed to me that several violations of his rules were committed that night, and that I was 100% in the right in the situation.

While Total Rewards did actually know the answer this time, often they don't. It's not really their job. Total Rewards' job is to process RC expenditures, but not to manage which restaurants charge 1:1 or 2:1. It was the restaurant's responsibility to know this.

And when employees don't know in such a situation, they shouldn't get angry at the customer for wanting/needing an answer.

LOL @ anyone taking the girl's side here. You handled it perfectly IMO; shitty people (especially in customer service) deserve to be called out for being shitty.

Just another restaurant employee with a massive entitlement complex; probably the type that scoffs at an 18% tip.

She was kind of just giving you the choice to do what you freely wanted to do. She didn't have the answer and probably didn't consider points as cash and thought it was ridiculous on your stance like you can use the points or just buy it with cash, so she got offended. I'm not saying she's not wrong. It's just that I try and put myself in someone elses shoes and look at it in her view point and not everyone has the same outlook.

I dated a girl and used my points for dinner and I didn't feel appreciated. She said they were just points. I was like WTF?! I got them from degenning off money. This burger you're eating that costed $15 costed me way more when I dusted it off to the casino lol.

Thread Information