Thread: Super Bowl

Honestly I was going to go out to eat when Atlanta had a three score lead. Never did I think New England could come back. Absolutely stunned.

I lost my $200 money line bet on Atlanta. Sad!

When the score was 28-3 or maybe 28-9, I believe the inplay betting was at +1000 for Pats and -2000 for Falcons. I asked for 22-1 odds on the Patriots ML (+2200) from someone I was watching the game with. I wanted to bet a few hundred (up to maybe $500). He said he'd only book the bet if I put up $1k to win $22k. Unfortunately(?), I declined, as for one I didn't want to lose $1k and two, I also didn't want my friend to have to pay me $22k....although neither of us would have cared if I had to pay him $100 or him pay me $2200 and three, I was rooting for the Falcons to crush the pats.

Overall, it was a fun game to watch. Well, the fourth quarter and OT at least. The commercials were awful.

I had $25 on each 4 quarters at Patriots -0.5 per quarter (4 individual bets) and all were + odds (+120, +120, +105, and +130 IIRC). I was hoping for the Falcons to win and rooting for them, as I don't like the Patriots, but figured the Patriots giving up half a point in each quarter and getting odds has to be +EV, since they are the favorite by 3 points....and no one was predicting they'd win 1 quarter and lose the other 3 quarters. Overall, I lost $45.....although I think I would have preferred to lose the entire $100 for the Falcons to crush the pats.

I am still stunned that Atlanta lost after its early lead. If I didn't know better I'd say the game was rigged.

Tough way to lose the "under" bet on the total. I had under 59.5. Luckily, I sided the first quarter for a nice win. Lost Atl and under bets.

Had no dog in the fight, but if Atlanta had called a run on any of three plays (the third and 1 1/2 with 7:30 left wherein Ryan was blind sided, or the 2nd/3rd and 13 with 3:40 left), they win. You're up eight with the deadliest kicker in the game with 3:40 left. The offensive coordinator is either an idiot or did not care if he won the game. A junior high coach should be fired for calling a game like that.

It was reminiscent of the horse's ass call by Seattle two years ago at the goal line. In both cases, the Patriots were the beneficiary. Once is a miracle. Twice is something else.

My girlfriend tried many things with her free wagers. She wound up winning a bit more than half. The saddest non-win was a middle shot with Over 55 1/2 and Under 59 with the total. Also whiffed on Freeman Over 51 1/2 yards, Under 57 1/2 yards and various others.

The middle she hit? A longest punt middle. LOL.

I did very little. Collected on a small "no score for six minutes" wager and a "no score for 6:30 wager," but blew it on first TD odds on both tight ends, Bennett at 13-1 and Hooper at 25-1. Hooper scored the second TD (goddamn it).

You know what bothers me? No one else said the OC is an idiot. Are people so unfamiliar with how to win football games, are they so enamored with fantasy stats, that they lose sight of what seems to be not trying to win a game play-calling? If somebody in the NBA was up three with 30 seconds and a full shot clock left and took a 30-foot hook shot, people would say (I hope) something is wrong with that player. The Atlanta play-calling was like taking three of those hook shots.
    Last edited by redietz; 02-08-2017 at 06:32 PM.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    The offensive coordinator is either an idiot or did not care if he won the game.
    I don't know what he was thinking on that series, but Kyle Shanahan is not an idiot.

Kyle Michael Shanahan is an American football coach who is currently the head coach for the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League. In 2008, Shanahan, at 28 years old, became the youngest coordinator in the NFL when he was promoted by the Houston Texans. Shanahan has also coached for the Washington Redskins, Cleveland Browns, and Atlanta Falcons. His father, Mike, is the former head coach for the Los Angeles Raiders, Denver Broncos, and Redskins.

On February 1, 2014, it was reported by media outlets that Shanahan was hired as offensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns. On January 8, 2015, Shanahan resigned from his offensive coordinator position after disagreeing with the front office's mandate that rookie QB Johnny Manziel start.

On January 18, 2015, the Atlanta Falcons hired Shanahan as their new offensive coordinator. After going 8-8 in 2015, the Falcons' offense under Shanahan was the highest-scoring offense in the league in 2016 and earned an 11-5 record, a division title, and a Super Bowl LI berth. Shanahan was named the NFL Assistant Coach of the Year for the 2016 season.

On February 6, 2017, one day after he and the Falcons had lost in Super Bowl LI, Shanahan was officially hired as the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers.

Joe Madden managed the worst game of his life in game 7 of the World Series. Luckily, the cubs won despite the bad decisions.
    Shanahan made some of the worst coaching decisions ever on the sequence redietz mentioned above. I was screaming at the tv when he didn't just use some clock and take the 3.
    But neither is a bad coach based upon those mistakes. Just proves that other than Belichick (and our AP's), everyone makes a few bad decisions.

Note to redietz--tried to PM you a few days ago to congratulate your GF and see how she did but your PM is full again.

Originally Posted by coach belly View Post
    I don't know what he was thinking on that series, but Kyle Shanahan is not an idiot.

Kyle Michael Shanahan is an American football coach who is currently the head coach for the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League. In 2008, Shanahan, at 28 years old, became the youngest coordinator in the NFL when he was promoted by the Houston Texans. Shanahan has also coached for the Washington Redskins, Cleveland Browns, and Atlanta Falcons. His father, Mike, is the former head coach for the Los Angeles Raiders, Denver Broncos, and Redskins.

On February 1, 2014, it was reported by media outlets that Shanahan was hired as offensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns. On January 8, 2015, Shanahan resigned from his offensive coordinator position after disagreeing with the front office's mandate that rookie QB Johnny Manziel start.

On January 18, 2015, the Atlanta Falcons hired Shanahan as their new offensive coordinator. After going 8-8 in 2015, the Falcons' offense under Shanahan was the highest-scoring offense in the league in 2016 and earned an 11-5 record, a division title, and a Super Bowl LI berth. Shanahan was named the NFL Assistant Coach of the Year for the 2016 season.

On February 6, 2017, one day after he and the Falcons had lost in Super Bowl LI, Shanahan was officially hired as the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers.

Coach, I appreciate the tips (and maybe they were intended for the gentle readers, not me), but I am more than aware of who Kyle is. His father probably had several mini-strokes at the play calling. In fact, I wonder if the attempt to be a "Not Like Mike" prompted his bizarro brain freeze.

In any event, the head coach should have overruled and taken control of the game at that point. Thirty years ago, the quarterback also would have changed the plays, but today's QBs usually defer to the coordinator in their robo-QB roles. I still can't believe Carroll or the Seattle QB didn't get out of the play two years ago.

Originally Posted by regnis View Post
    Joe Madden managed the worst game of his life in game 7 of the World Series. Luckily, the cubs won despite the bad decisions.
    Shanahan made some of the worst coaching decisions ever on the sequence redietz mentioned above. I was screaming at the tv when he didn't just use some clock and take the 3.
    But neither is a bad coach based upon those mistakes. Just proves that other than Belichick (and our AP's), everyone makes a few bad decisions.

Note to redietz--tried to PM you a few days ago to congratulate your GF and see how she did but your PM is full again.
    Got it cleaned up, regnis. Thanks. The girlfriend wound up in a four-way tie and they split the 25K up, so she wound up with $6250 in free play bets. She corralled between $3200 and $3300 when it was done. Not hitting the middle on the total hurt big time.

I'm not as forgiving on the "few bad decisions thing." High school coaches would be relieved of command for making those kinds of errors. You're paid, essentially, to not do bone headed things. You can't play 130 plays in a game, have the thing won, and have somebody drop the scalpel in the wound as he's closing up. The sheer stupidity makes me sick. Frankly, if I knew blatant stupidity was going to be the key factor in the game, I would have gone to the movies. I hate investing four hours of watching drama that ends with the dropped scalpel.

I understand. It is hard for me to love Joe Madden for 2 years and then suddenly think he's an idiot for a bad game 7.

Similarly, I hated former Atlanta coach Mike Smith and loved the way Quinn/Shanahan turned the team around the minute he was gone. Yet--they blew the super bowl!!!

Hard to figure what happens to coaches at these crucial moments. Overthinking? Yips? I am more forgiving of Madden simply because they still won despite the bad decisions I guess.

Thread Information