Thread: Check your Total Rewards statements

Just a note to check your TR statements online. I was going through mine and I saw a charge for Internet -- 799 points.

I emailed to have them take it off, which they did and said that Internet is normally comped off but in this case it was comped off using my RCs.

I would never have known since I don't pay much attention to my RC balance, and whenever I check out they say "zero balance."

max

Yes, this is very common, and I've posted about this before.

It's actually improved a lot. From 2012-2014, this happened extremely frequently, to where it occurred more often than not when I stayed in Vegas.

The big flaw in the "Quick Rewards" system (spending RCs) is that they can be auto-taken from you without your permission.

The hotel side's computer is programmed just to grab RCs for certain things, and you're never informed. Oddly, this doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes an erroneous internet charge is on your bill, but other times they just directly come out of your RCs.

I wish there was a setting to turn this off, and to force everything onto your folio, but there isn't.

I agree that checking your TR statement after-the-fact (once it generates for the previous month) is the only way to do it. You just have to remember to do it. If you stay in early January, it will be approximately a month before you can check it.

Where did this problem occur? And did you choose premium internet? 799 points is usually the upcharge for premium internet over basic, though often you automatically get that for free anyway. (The policy is not clear, and nobody seems to know the actual story -- just a lot of guesses.)
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The big flaw in the "Quick Rewards" system (spending RCs) is that they can be auto-taken from you without your permission.
    I have never had anything like this happen to me. Every charge I make in the hotel always goes on to my bill and then I have to call to have my RCs used to cover the charges.

I have been erroneously charged for some things -- for example -- the free movies with Seven Stars. Never have they taken RCs to pay for them, but the movie charges have shown up on my bill. In those cases, I called the front desk and the charges were removed.

But I have never had anyone "grab" my RCs without my permission or without me having to ask them to use RCs to pay my bill.

I wonder if it's possible that at some point you might have signed up for an option to use your RCs to pay for your room charges? I recall getting an email from Caesars about a year or two ago asking me if I wanted to sign up for an "automatic check out" that would automatically use my RCs to settle my bill. I decided NOT to sign up for the plan.

The only time I have not had charges show up on my bill is when I'm using a folio credit - like the $500 one that comes with the Seven Stars trip.
    As I think you all know, when you have one of those the charges don't show up on your bill, except for any tip portion, until you've used the whole $500. Hosts can see them when they look at your charges but you can't through the TV system.
    I'm used to keeping all of my receipts for business purposes and keeping a running tab of what I've spent so I do the same thing when I'm on my personal trips. Over the years a number of things have snuck in there that I wouldn't have been aware of had I not been keeping track and noticed that actual charges were showing up on my bill sooner than the folio credit had been exhausted.
    My last trip is the first one in a long time where I've had no erroneous charge issues.

I did choose premium Internet (as I usually do), but I'd never previously been charged for it.

One time I was charged for a movie, but the front desk caught it.

It's silly that whenever you ask for your folio (and you've been charging to your room using resort credit), it's always $0. Doesn't tell you a whole heck of a lot! Good thing they can tell you how much you have remaining.

It's also irritating if you charge to your room, then approve using TR credits. When you ask for your folio, it also just says $0. Perhaps they've done research that that has a better feeling to players than seeing their reward credits depleted.

Keeping receipts is a must.

max

Caesars Palace (Las Vegas) told me that Seven Stars get "unlimited internet" in 2017. No more of this two device crap. Also, it appears that there is no more "premium" internet there, and "Basic" is the old premium. Basic gets up to 20 Mbps now.

Will it still erroneously charge RCs, especially for people who connect more than 2 devices? Remains to be seen...
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Interesting, Dan. I stayed in January and logged into two devices, then a friend stopped by and wanted wifi.

I called the front desk, and they said they couldn't waive the fee for a third device, "even for Seven Stars." I also asked if they could cancel/reset the Internet on the current two devices and start over with the new device, but no go.

Good to know about the change to unlimited. I probably won't run into a similar situation for awhile, but wish there were a number I could give people to call so they could verify.

Though I just had a thought -- I could probably have gone ahead and charged the third device to the room. Then on checkout, say that I should've gotten free Internet. They would chock it up to a mistake and comp it off.

max

You're correct that they likely would have comped it off if you claimed you were just charged by mistake, as these mistaken charges really do happen all the time!

I would verify during your next stay at Caesars that it really is still unlimited for Seven Stars, but on my trip this week, it definitely was.

Nice to see that this "Premium" idiocy has also been removed, and now Basic is equivalent to what they used to call Premium.

The Premium crap pissed me off in Tahoe, as the "Basic" is pretty much unusable.

Originally Posted by maxev View Post
    Though I just had a thought -- I could probably have gone ahead and charged the third device to the room. Then on checkout, say that I should've gotten free Internet. They would chock it up to a mistake and comp it off.
    In my experience this is what has happened in the past, although in both instances it was the desk taking care of it without prompting rather than me complaining.

Thread Information