Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Why no discount for Diamond/Seven Stars members at CET-owned restaurants?

  1. #1
    I'm talking about the market out west. Maybe east coast CET properties are different, but if they are, I haven't run into it.

    Most CET restaurants are fairly overpriced, and could easily still make a profit if they gave a discount to higher tier card members.

    Why don't they do this?

    I have to imagine that paying for overpriced food must be frustrating to players, unless they play enough to fully get it all comped off.

    The fact that Seven Stars are paying the same price for food as Gold (or non-TR members) at most properties is mind-boggling.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

  2. #2
    Original Founder
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    17,636
    Some of the restaurants give a small discount (one or two dollars per entre) for Total Rewards Members.

    How much more do you want Dan? When is enough, enough?

    With all of your complaints, no wonder you are persona non grata.
    Alan Mendelson
    www.AlanBestBuys.com
    "(Alan) simply can't get past a die having six sides." -- Michael Shackleford May 12, 2015

  3. #3
    The $1 discount on a $70 entree is a joke, and in fact is a tacky embarrassment for what is supposed to be fine dining.

    They should either give a real discount (10% or more) for the upper tiers, or just not give one at all.

    You ask "How much more do you want?"

    It's not about what I want.

    Giving a discount at these restaurants to the higher tier members is smart business. Players like to feel special, and they like to feel like the status they earned (by losing money) is paying them back in some way. Saving money on things such as restaurant bills goes a long way to convince the customer he's coming out ahead in the long run, when in reality he's not.

    On the flip side, beating the customer in the casino and then overcharging him at the on-property restaurant is not a way to earn repeat business.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

  4. #4
    Original Founder
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    17,636
    Higher tier customers are made special by getting comped meals, offers for dining credits, anniversary dinners and so forth. I would never expect a discount on the meals. However, if they offered them I would certainly take them.

    Keep in mind Caesars is still in bankruptcy. And non-gaming revenue has gained in importance. You shouldn't expect discounts.
    Alan Mendelson
    www.AlanBestBuys.com
    "(Alan) simply can't get past a die having six sides." -- Michael Shackleford May 12, 2015

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,274
    Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The $1 discount on a $70 entree is a joke, and in fact is a tacky embarrassment for what is supposed to be fine dining.

    They should either give a real discount (10% or more) for the upper tiers, or just not give one at all.

    You ask "How much more do you want?"

    It's not about what I want.

    Giving a discount at these restaurants to the higher tier members is smart business. Players like to feel special, and they like to feel like the status they earned (by losing money) is paying them back in some way. Saving money on things such as restaurant bills goes a long way to convince the customer he's coming out ahead in the long run, when in reality he's not.

    On the flip side, beating the customer in the casino and then overcharging him at the on-property restaurant is not a way to earn repeat business.
    Unfortunately Dan, I think the casinos have figured out that they don't need to make us feel special. They think we will keep coming back and it looks like we do. You have to remember that Vegas is not about gambling anymore. You walk around and there are a million tourists with kids taking in the sights and overpaying for food and drink, but there is very little gambling going on among those tourists. Most of the gambling is done by a smaller group of hard core gamblers.

    As I have stated, I really no longer partake because I don't like this Vegas. Apparently, there aren't enough of us who quit to alarm anyone.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    705
    My pet theory is that the CET $1 discount on entries is just an excuse to ask for your Total Rewards card so that they can track your dining habits easily. Then based on this loss of privacy, CET can better "market" to you (aka use your habits to better squeeze money out of you).

  7. #7
    Original Founder
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    17,636
    I have no problem showing them my TR card for a $1 discount... and I don't mind receiving marketing offers either. Sometimes they're worthwhile.
    Alan Mendelson
    www.AlanBestBuys.com
    "(Alan) simply can't get past a die having six sides." -- Michael Shackleford May 12, 2015

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by regnis View Post
    Unfortunately Dan, I think the casinos have figured out that they don't need to make us feel special. They think we will keep coming back and it looks like we do. You have to remember that Vegas is not about gambling anymore. You walk around and there are a million tourists with kids taking in the sights and overpaying for food and drink, but there is very little gambling going on among those tourists. Most of the gambling is done by a smaller group of hard core gamblers.

    As I have stated, I really no longer partake because I don't like this Vegas. Apparently, there aren't enough of us who quit to alarm anyone.
    I'm afraid I can only half agree.

    Yes, you are correct that Las Vegas is more of an entertainment destination nowadays than a gambling destination. That's the reason cheap food, cheap shows, cheap rooms, and free parking are now a thing of the past in Vegas. They realized that the people traveling for entertainment should not be receiving free/cheap stuff on the backs of the gamblers.

    However, gambling is still an important income stream to Vegas casinos, and these gamblers still like being recognized. That's the reason Total Rewards has been such a huge success (and subsequently emulated by other companies). Gamblers like earning statuses, and they like when that status entitles them to things.

    Rather than simply regretting gambling losses, players can now smile when they get their own special (shorter) line, their own special lounges, and other perks which make them feel important. That $5000 you lost last month is much less painful when you breeze through an easy line in 2 minutes, while most of the other shlubs are stuck waiting 40 minutes for the same thing.

    This is why I still don't understand the restaurant pricing model. The restaurants are marked up enough to where they will still make a profit on meals discounted, say, 20% for Seven Stars. This would be yet another perk Seven Stars could enjoy, and one which again will make them (erroneously) believe that losing all that money to get there might have actually been worth it.

    This is especially true because CET forces you (in most cases) to spend RCs before receiving RFB comps. And most gamblers don't like wasting their RCs just to get to use RFB, as they realize RCs have real value. And when you don't get RFB, it can be irritating to blow your RCs at a restaurant whre the prices are definitely way inflated. (Old Homestead Steakhouse is a good example -- where they charge $72 for a steak you'd get for $52 at other prime steakhouses.)

    I just think this is CET once again overlooking the obvious. I don't believe the lack of discount for Seven Stars at restaurants has been studied extensively. It seems like they shoot from the hip when it comes to Seven Stars perks, hence why we have laughed at so many things over the years.

    "Gas for a Year", anyone?
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

  9. #9
    Dan - didn't Seven Starts used to the get the buffet for free at Harrah's Rincon? My first trip there I remember that but that was pre-bankruptcy. What are RBF comps?

  10. #10
    Original Founder
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    17,636
    Originally Posted by Canadian_Gambler View Post
    Dan - didn't Seven Starts used to the get the buffet for free at Harrah's Rincon? My first trip there I remember that but that was pre-bankruptcy. What are RBF comps?
    Yes, and 7 Stars still get two buffets free each day at Rincon. (I've heard from other 7 Stars... since I haven't been there for a long, long time.)
    Alan Mendelson
    www.AlanBestBuys.com
    "(Alan) simply can't get past a die having six sides." -- Michael Shackleford May 12, 2015

  11. #11
    I can confirm the 2 free daily buffets are still a 7 star tier benefit at Rincon for 2017.

    One caveat: They must be used at the same time. In other words, if you're by yourself you can't use one for lunch and one for dinner.

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by acescracked_1210 View Post
    I can confirm the 2 free daily buffets are still a 7 star tier benefit at Rincon for 2017.

    One caveat: They must be used at the same time. In other words, if you're by yourself you can't use one for lunch and one for dinner.
    Never knew you had to use them together. Guess I never tried that before, because I get "buffeted out" and don't want it twice a day.

    It is a useful benefit, though.

    Sadly, if you want anything beyond 2 people, you have to pay close to full price. I think you get some kind of small discount for being a Diamond/Seven Stars.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,974
    Two questions. First, I thought I recalled a couple of places, the Flamingo coffee shop being one, offering a 10% discount for TR card holders. Is that no longer the case? Second, regarding the $1 discount for showing your card: Does that count as a "use of card" that would reduce your ADT if you don't actually play that day?

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Two questions. First, I thought I recalled a couple of places, the Flamingo coffee shop being one, offering a 10% discount for TR card holders. Is that no longer the case? Second, regarding the $1 discount for showing your card: Does that count as a "use of card" that would reduce your ADT if you don't actually play that day?
    Yes, it will absolutely count as a "trip" for ADT purposes. CET is getting worse and worse about "tripping" people for stuff completely unrelated to gaming floor activity. It's all part of their multi-faceted, post bankruptcy effort to slash overall marketing expenses and comp/freeplay outlays.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,735
    I think it makes sense to trip people for any reason when they go on property. I mean, why wouldn't they? The purpose of it is to determine your value (theo loss) per day you are on the property. Why would they only do it if you're gambling?

    Granted, an exception could/should be made for days checking in/out of hotel.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,274
    I disagree. If I'm staying at Bellagio and walk over to a caesars property to have dinner, they shouldn't penalize me for doing so. What kind of marketing is that? Since the majority of their profits are non-gambling related, they should be begging me to pay for a meal on one of their properties without me being concerned about my ADT.

    Of course I don't care about my ADT, at least in terms of dictating what I'm going to do or where I'm going to eat from day to day.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,974
    I agree with regnis. It just seems like a tricky way to downgrade everybody's comps.

    And it's true that the majority of their profits are now non-gambling related. So why penalize somebody for eating at your restaurants or seeing your shows or buying your souvenirs? It does seem to suggest CET is desperate to reduce per person comps as quickly as possible. I'm not savvy regarding casino logistics, so does that suggest anything?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    239
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    I agree with regnis. It just seems like a tricky way to downgrade everybody's comps.

    And it's true that the majority of their profits are now non-gambling related. So why penalize somebody for eating at your restaurants or seeing your shows or buying your souvenirs? It does seem to suggest CET is desperate to reduce per person comps as quickly as possible. I'm not savvy regarding casino logistics, so does that suggest anything?
    If the whole idea of offering comps is to induce you to visit their property, then it makes sense that they'd count restaurant visits against what they offer you in the future. They don't need to offer you as much in personal comps - free play, freebies, etc. - because by going there just to eat you've shown that their restaurant offerings are sufficient to get you in the door.

    As for the discounts for card holders I have noticed that the small discount TR pricing on menus has disappeared from the places I tend to eat while in Vegas. They do still offer discounts at the salon at Caesars, which I personally like and take advantage of on most of my visits. For what I go there for, the Seven Stars discount of 25% brings it down to inline with what high end salons cost in my area, and they do a better job.

  19. #19
    Originally Posted by RS__ View Post
    I think it makes sense to trip people for any reason when they go on property. I mean, why wouldn't they? The purpose of it is to determine your value (theo loss) per day you are on the property. Why would they only do it if you're gambling?

    Granted, an exception could/should be made for days checking in/out of hotel.
    The problem here is that the concept of ADT is antiquated, and they aren't attempting to modernize it.

    Nowadays, given the advanced dining and entertainment options offered in Vegas strip casinos, there's much more of a reason to leave the property than there used to be.

    So, like in the example given in a post above, if you are staying at Bellagio but walk to Caesars to eat at Nobu, you shouldn't be penalized by having them swipe your card to give you the RCs for the meal. In fact, most gamblers don't even realize that this would penalize their ADT. They just believe they are getting CREDIT for spending money at a Caesars property!

    The system should be intelligent enough by now to remove outliers.

    If you're a $2000/day theo video poker player, but one day you show up at the property and play $5 minimum blackjack with friends for an hour, that shouldn't damage your ADT. The system should throw out outlier type sessions when determining ADT, especially very brief ones. It should especially throw out non-hotel-stay, non-gambling visits. So if someone swipes their card at Nobu but otherwise does nothing else at Caesars that day, it should not be counted against their ADT.

    This would be very easy to program, but for some reason they aren't doing it. And it's not just Caesars. Pretty much all modern comp systems work like this, and that's a huge mistake. It just corrupts the data the casino is trying to collect.

    I don't think this is a way for casinos to backdoor downgrade people's comps. I think this is just an arbitrary way where it happens, and no casino executive has decided yet that this is ridiculous.

    Eventually it will happen. Then every other company will follow.

    Reminds me of the cruise industry. Sometimes they do dumb things for years, and then one innovator (usually NCL) changes something that should have been changed years before, and every other line follows. Remember in the '90s and earlier when cruise ships assigned you a time for dinner, and you were forced to eat at that time? For years this was accepted, yet cruisers hated it. Cruise lines wouldn't change it because... well, that was just the way things were done on cruise lines. Then one day, NCL said, "Why are we doing this? Let's just let everyone eat when they want", and 'Freestyle Cruising' was introduced. Huge hit with the public, and now every cruise does it this way.

    This isn't quite the same as this unpublicized practice of lowering people's ADT for appearing on property, but it's the same concept. Just something stupid they haven't fixed/changed yet.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

  20. #20
    This is also why it's liberating to just be overcomped like I am. I don't give a crap about my ADT, except in the few markets where I am not overcomped and want the offers to keep flowing.

    But in Vegas, where I am WAY overcomped, I don't give a crap what swiping my card does to my theo, because it's already way in the red.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-22-2017, 08:58 PM
  2. Unpublished/extra benefits for Seven Stars members
    By Dan Druff in forum Total Rewards and MLife
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-19-2016, 08:28 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2016, 12:02 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2016, 07:36 PM
  5. Question for Seven Stars members
    By Dan Druff in forum Total Rewards and MLife
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-17-2015, 08:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •