Thread: Fun Facts About Pottsville (PA)

Rob S(tr)inger took a few shots at one of my favorite towns in some other threads, and I felt badly about not defending Pottsville. Rob, as usual, opined on things about which he knows nothing. Here are some fun factoids regarding Pottsville:

1) Gibbsville stands in for Pottsville in author John O'Hara's novels and short stories. Hemingway and Updike were fans of O'Hara, a Pottsville native.

2) Pottsville had an NFL team, the Pottsville Maroons, from 1925 to 1928.

3) Most of the events and places depicted in the 1970 movie, "The Molly Maguires," starring Sean Connery, happened in and around Pottsville. The Mollies were held at the Pottsville jail and courthouse, and eventually hanged.

4) Pottsville is home to America's oldest brewery, Yuengling, and one can still tour the facility.

5) The local newspaper, the Pottsville Republican, is considered one of this country's finest non-urban papers. It won a Pulitzer for reporting in 1979. I'm most impressed by the clean design and layouts that make it easy to navigate.
    Last edited by redietz; 04-26-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    4) Pottsville is home to America's oldest brewery, Yuengling, and one can still tour the facility.
    And you only drink Corona?...LOL what a phony...you should be ashamed of yourself, ditz.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    The local newspaper, the Pottsville Republican, is considered one of this country's finest non-urban papers. It won a Pulitzer for reporting in 1979.
    Did the newspaper win the Pulitzer, or did the reporters win the prize?

Thread Information