Thread: Anthony Curtis' Las Vegas Advisor

Has anyone been to that website recently? Looks like he either sold his website, or is now accepting advertising dollars. Since its inception wasn't it an ad-free site offering unbiased opinions?

The forum there is being archived as well. It won't continue on as before.

That's too bad...I enjoyed reading some of the trip reports.

Well, I tuned in to the free for all, several times a week. They don't want my "clicks" anymore. Screw 'em!

I interviewed Anthony for my radio show on KABC several years ago. (The interview is on my website somewhere... I'll have to find it.) He's always had some advertising but he never pushed it. I urged him to expand the advertising on his site. I haven't been there to see it in months. If he's finally opening up his pages to ads he's doing the right thing because frankly, the book/publishing business is dying. Everything now is online.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    I interviewed Anthony for my radio show on KABC several years ago. (The interview is on my website somewhere... I'll have to find it.) He's always had some advertising but he never pushed it. I urged him to expand the advertising on his site. I haven't been there to see it in months. If he's finally opening up his pages to ads he's doing the right thing because frankly, the book/publishing business is dying. Everything now is online.
    I only buy ebooks now. I have 92 books on my laptop, tablet, phone. How much does 92 books weigh? They don't weigh jackall on my phone.

The site still belongs to Anthony. I'm not sure about the advertising history, but there's probably more of it now.

When he implemented the redesign, comment sections were intended to replace the need for forums, but people complained, so he added a new forum under the Member Benefits section. But the new forum is pretty much dead. The old one was mostly politics, which I assume is prohibited now.

Trip Reports are posted on the "Vegas With an Edge" spinoff site, but that's not very active either.

The "Gambling With an Edge" spinoff site is more active, with regular content from Bob & Richard, plus other bloggers.

Thanks bocce ball.

I haven't had time to really explore the site's new format. I recently tried to log in and renew my membership and discovered that I had been erased and had to open up a new account with new avatar name etc.

The MRB book looks great this year.

I just looked at the new site. It's appears now to be a different business model. And the site design reminds me of the new look of the Las Vegas Review Journal site.

Do people really get upset about advertisements? What's the point of maintaining a site and not making any money from it?

I don't think it's the advertisements that's the issue. I think how "useful content" is hidden is the issue. I clicked on "forums" and didn't know how to navigate it or find anything. If the old posts are gone they did away with a lot of content that could have helped them in search engine optimization.

Dancer once offered me a book deal with Anthony Curtis.

Originally Posted by AxelWolf View Post
    Do people really get upset about advertisements? What's the point of maintaining a site and not making any money from it?
    Here's a wild observation: There are perspectives and values systems beyond rampant capitalism.

I get that, I just don't get it when people get all pissed off when someone decides to monetize their site.

Originally Posted by AxelWolf View Post
    I get that, I just don't get it when people get all pissed off when someone decides to monetize their site.
    Unfortunately, the monetization becomes counter-productive when it leads to losing your audience.

Thread Information