Thread: Would you take a train between Las Vegas and Southern California?

On our "Travel / Vacation" page we are keeping up with the news about the various companies that want to bring back train service between Vegas and Southern California. There are two competing projects that want to use existing rail lines and there is one high speed rail project which admits it is years in the future.

Here is a link to the news: http://alanbestbuys.com/id141.html

How do you feel about taking a train instead of driving or flying? I'd like to hear the pros and the cons. Some points to consider: the existing rail lines are shared by freight trains and will have a fixed schedule for those trains if they come about.

High speed sounds great but its years and probably billions of dollars away.

There have been improvements made to the I-15 and do you want to give up the flexibility of having a personal car?

It's just like any other alternate form of ground transportation in this country. It will mostly be ignored, and after the initial novelty of it only the slugs will be seen in the seats. Trains make it big time in other countries because no place has the roads we have, our gasoline prices are among the lowest of the civilized world, and those of us who drive distances do so in reliable vehicles.

Thanks for the post, Rob. The X Train which is one of the companies (Las Vegas Railway Express) says it plans to charge $99 one way. That is not exactly a cheap price. It would be cheaper to pile four or more into a car. I think those who would pay $99 one way would have more time and willing to pay for the comfort and entertainment that the X Train is supposed to offer. I think the train might be considered more of an "upper class" method of travel. it wouldn't be as cheap as buses or cars. I think it would more likely get passengers off of planes.

Thread Information