Thread: The Woes of Online Dating

In another thread, Dan Druff wrote this:

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I was only 17, and met a girl off a computer bulletin board. She seemed nice on the phone, and we got along well. Back in those days, you had no idea what the person looked like until you met them. You only had their stats (height, weight, race, age), but even those were sometimes lied about.
    This made me chuckle. Even today, with PHOTOS, there are lies about height, weight, race and age.

Of course the biggest crime in the online dating world is using a photo that is ten years too young and thirty pounds too light -- and it's done all the time.

Then there are the online dating criminals (and criminals they are, so to speak) who hire professional photographers for glamour shots to post that are photo-shopped, edited and come with the added skill of a hired makeup artist.

Unfortunately, there is no way to warn others who are searching for love, that Mary, or Sue, or Robert, or Steven are using photos from years earlier and from before they added 12 inches and 150 pounds around their mid sections.

What I would like to see is a dating website where:

1. You must post a video with a date proof such as holding up a daily newspaper at the start of the video.

2. A "rating section" so that after you've been on a "date" or a "meet up" the other members of the dating community can rank the experience, let's say, from 1 to 10.

3. What would really be ideal is if members of this dating community would agree to an actual comment section where others can discuss real issues such as: he/she lied about smoking; he/she had a really bad cold sore; he/she drooled during lunch; he/she slurped their coffee; he/she has ten cats when they said they had one. Of course everyone would have to agree to this so there are no lawsuits -- and frankly this would assure other members that they have less to worry about on their next Starbucks date.

4. The members of the dating website should also clearly mark and provide proof of divorce. I have dated several women who claimed to be single but it wasn't until months later that I discovered that they weren't divorced. In one case, the woman not only wasn't divorced but hadn't even started a divorce action.

5. Current living conditions should be stated. I once dated woman who was divorced but still allowed her ex-husband to sleep in another bedroom in her house because he couldn't afford to rent another place for himself. When she went on a trip with me, she lied to her ex and said she was going away with a girlfriend.

I also wouldn't mind a new kind of dating website where you posted photos of your family. There is some reassurance when you see a woman's mother is still attractive -- and there is hope that the daughter will look great when she's older too. I would think that's a similar concern for women. And, if one of the relatives appears to be wearing a jail jump suit, you'd have an idea about what to expect.

I also wouldn't mind a new kind of dating website where you posted photos of your family. There is some reassurance when you see a woman's mother is still attractive -- and there is hope that the daughter will look great when she's older too. I would think that's a similar concern for women. And, if one of the relatives appears to be wearing a jail jump suit, you'd have an idea about what to expect.

Thread Information