Thread: My 2003 Mercedes C240 with 304,000 miles

Here it is. Nicely kept.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I like the license plate.

Given it's a 14 year old car, do you plan on keeping it as long as possible?

My goal is to go 312,000. That's my "win goal." I will reassess after that.

Ironically the book value of my car is $400, but each of those chrome wheels have a used value of $289 each, which is what I could sell them for right now. My son wants to strip the car and sell it for parts. The interior is pristine. The leather seats and even the headliner are clean. No smoking or a food mess inside in all the years I've had it.

I probably can't catch up to you Alan, but my 2002 Acura is purring along at 240,000 tough Chicago winter miles. And I never plan to get rid of it.

Regnis that's amazing. Usually northern cars rot out from salt on the roads. California and southern cars don't get salt rot so they last longer.

When I lived in New York car bottoms would rot out after five years. But that was before the under coatings that are so common today.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    Regnis that's amazing. Usually northern cars rot out from salt on the roads. California and southern cars don't get salt rot so they last longer.

When I lived in New York car bottoms would rot out after five years. But that was before the under coatings that are so common today.
    Very true about the salt rot.

My dad sold his BMW 2 years ago to a guy from Utah. The guy traveled to southern CA to buy my dad's car because he said he didn't want one from a snowy area, due to the salt issue.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Very true about the salt rot.

My dad sold his BMW 2 years ago to a guy from Utah. The guy traveled to southern CA to buy my dad's car because he said he didn't want one from a snowy area, due to the salt issue.
    Dan you probably know this: Southern California used cars carry a premium value. Not only are they free of salt rot, but SoCal drivers are known for keeping their cars in better condition.

We also get a lot of hail damage here. I have pretty much had the whole body replaced twice due to hail damage. Luckily insurance covers.

I had an Infiniti of the same year, 2003. 5 years later, it was a rusted up POS. These Chicagoland winters are simply brutal on a car. My wife's Hyundai is looking rough too, yet my 2 Fords still look new at 6 and 11 years old.

Ddb1 do you have any added coatings on the Fords?

Having pretty much never lived in the snow (other than 2 semesters in college), salt rot and damage it does to cars never crossed my mind. Although my car's in decent condition and I probably won't be buying a used car, that might be good to know.

It seems like more frequently than not, someone I know who buys a used car is always saying how awesome it is, they saved a bunch of money, "only suckers buy cars on the lot", etc. Then a few weeks or months down the road, it starts breaking down, they need to fix this or that, and they just seem to have more problems far above and beyond what a new car would have.

Buying used cars combines both art and science. You have to know what you're doing and you have to get a good car.

Ddb1 do you have any added coatings on the Fords?
    No, none at all.

Thread Information