Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Positive Contribution Thread

Since Alan is correct, and not many people make positive contributions in terms of gambling information here, I'll try to get the ball rolling for a "Positive Contribution" thread.

Yesterday, I saw two good things in Las Vegas:

(1) A billboard announcing a $200 rebate for new sign-ups at East Side Cannery. I don't think I've ever been in East Side Cannery, so I can't really add anything, but a $200 rebate can certainly be useful.

(2) Gold Coast and the Orleans, in the month of August, are offering bonuses on any royal hit from Sun-Thursday. The bonuses are in the form of free play equivalent to the amount of the royal up to 4K.

As always, verify in advance, as it wouldn't surprise me if these offers were to be truncated.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    (2) Gold Coast and the Orleans, in the month of August, are offering bonuses on any royal hit from Sun-Thursday. The bonuses are in the form of free play equivalent to the amount of the royal up to 4K.

As always, verify in advance, as it wouldn't surprise me if these offers were to be truncated.
    The key wording in the royal promotion is "up to".

For .25 royals, the bonus is $50 "up to" $1000.
    For .50 royals, the bonus is $75 "up to" $2000.
    For 1.00 royals the bonus is $100 "up to" $4000.

It isn't clear to me how the amount is determined, but I am sure you have a much better chance at the low end of the range.

I actually hit a 25c royal there a little while ago (a month or two?) when they were running this promotion, mostly just to test it out and see how it all worked.

They have 3 different boxes, one for each denom (25c, 50c, $1). In the box there are folded pieces of paper that are semi-glued shut. Tough to look in, but I got a peak and saw one at $75. Knowing that was the lower end of the amount, I chose a different one. I pulled it out and it was a (different) $75 paper. Gave it to the lady and she was like, "Wow, congrats that's awesome!" I was confused, asked how much people usually got, and she said she's seen $50's all day and this was the second $75 she saw for the day.

It's a small bonus (usually) and better than nothing, but certainly not something worth going out of your way to play....unless I missed something.

Originally Posted by RS__ View Post
    I actually hit a 25c royal there a little while ago (a month or two?) when they were running this promotion, mostly just to test it out and see how it all worked.

They have 3 different boxes, one for each denom (25c, 50c, $1). In the box there are folded pieces of paper that are semi-glued shut. Tough to look in, but I got a peak and saw one at $75. Knowing that was the lower end of the amount, I chose a different one. I pulled it out and it was a (different) $75 paper. Gave it to the lady and she was like, "Wow, congrats that's awesome!" I was confused, asked how much people usually got, and she said she's seen $50's all day and this was the second $75 she saw for the day.

It's a small bonus (usually) and better than nothing, but certainly not something worth going out of your way to play....unless I missed something.
    Thanks for the info, RS. That makes it a non-play at the Orleans in my book, as Gold Coast generally has better vp. And it's probably only a play on senior day (Wednesday) with the other senior day perks.

The info is much appreciated.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post

This is very different from the bonus RS described. Which is the current bonus?

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    This is very different from the bonus RS described. Which is the current bonus?
    The correct bonus is what I posted several posts above. Those numbers were taken from Gold Coast website, including the key words "up to". I am not sure where redietz got the term "equivalent to the amount of the royal". If he saw a billboard possible it said "up to the equivalent to the amount of the royal". Either he is remembering the wording wrong, or Boyd is being 'fraudulently' misleading.
    Last edited by kewlJ; 08-02-2017 at 06:25 AM.

I have a friend in Vegas who could take a photo of the billboard. Redietz do you recall where it is? I'll mention this to my friend.

I have a friend in Vegas who could take a photo of the billboard. Redietz do you recall where it is? I'll mention this to my friend.
    Redietz didn't actually say he saw a billboard regarding Orleans/Gold Coast promotion. He said he saw a billboard regarding the long running Eastside Cannery $200 rebate promotion. The Orleans/Gold cast promotion, he did not give a source. It is common for the Boyd properties to have a wall sign just inside the entrance advertising these kinds of promos. But I don't see any intention to mislead on Redietz part. I think he is just not remembering a key "up to" stuck in there, which is exactly the intent of Boyd's rather misleading wording.

As per the Eastside Cannery $200 rebate, I thought I heard that was discontinued when Boyd bought the property last year. But I also know of two different billboards still advertising this promo, so perhaps they re-instated it. I never really looked into it, as we have used up that promo on all our current accounts.

I was going to say that I hate billboard advertising. Usually we see billboards while driving and we have less than two seconds to read what is on the sign. I can't imagine reading the print on a billboard that would give rules would be possible.

I was going to say that I hate billboard advertising. Usually we see billboards while driving and we have less than two seconds to read what is on the sign. I can't imagine reading the print on a billboard that would give rules would be possible.
    I should have said "in proportion to." The scales of the bonuses are tied to the denomination played. They actually list the range of bonuses for each denomination, which are different. It's not a good promo since they're lowballing the bonuses. On occasion in the past, they have done legitimate doubling of royals, but those were just one day here or there. This is too many days for too long for them to do that, but still, $75 isn't much of a bonus. I couldn't even find NSUD or 9/6 JOB at the Orleans. Gold Coast has both.

For anything Cannery, be advised they have an active Twitter feed in both English and Spanish. If you can't find details of a promotion on their website, try their twitter reminders. Music may have a Latino emphasis there but it can be quite good so its never a waste of time to check them out.

Weren't you the gambler who always claims you only go after the 10% or thereabouts "edges"? It might do you well to think about what you post before putting this stuff up.You see, armchair gamblers really need to be vigilant prior to posting a load of crap.

Positive contribution? Red, I hate to break it to you, but it's already been established that a $200 "rebate" is worth even less than your PR Packet.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post

Weren't you the gambler who always claims you only go after the 10% or thereabouts "edges"? It might do you well to think about what you post before putting this stuff up.You see, armchair gamblers really need to be vigilant prior to posting a load of crap.

Positive contribution? Red, I hate to break it to you, but it's already been established that a $200 "rebate" is worth even less than your PR Packet.
    I'm sorry you weren't impressed, Rob. I don't recall mailing you anything, but I'll take your word for it.

In the spirit of positive contributions, which seem to be few and far between, I'd like to suggest folks read my "Pre-Season Fantasy" post under "Sports."

I tried to assemble a team, juggling the variables in my head, and pretty much all I got was a headache. It is really, really difficult to prioritize who to take and why. Brutal.

But, if you know your stuff, you should have quite an edge. I do not know my NFL pre-season stuff, and probably never will.

I will add what I think is a positive contribution. Lately I have liked hanging at in downtown Vegas and like playing the Binion's Mother Lode promotion. It is advertised as follows:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

As you can see, you get to go to a kiosk (located near the Binion’s Slot Club) and spin a virtual wheel up three times a day. One spin after earning five points, a second after 40 points and a third after 300 points. It takes $8 in video poker action to earn one point. So the amount of action is $40 the first spin, $320 the second, and $2,400 the third.

I like to use full pay 8/5 Bonus Poker which has a long-term payback of 99.17%. So the theoretical cost of the respective spins are $0.33, $2.66 and $19.92.

The value of the spin varies and I only seldom get cash, but a modest amount of free play is not unusual and $10 to $20 in free food vouchers is quite normal as are small prizes like shirts or ball caps. You have to use the “award” within 48 hours. I do think the breakfasts at Binions are fine. I did get $50 in cash last weekend on the third spin-- only time I did.

In addition, at Binions you also get a buck in cash back for every 40 points earned and a buck in comps for every 20 points earned. I plan to use the comps for the Binion's Steakhouse. Also I typically get $20 in bounce back cash every month – and I only play this up to the spins.

So it looks like a minor advantage when you play full pay video poker up to the third spin of this promo. Will it make you rich? Hell no. Do I like to play dollar 8/5 Bonus Poker and is it fun to spin the virtual wheel? Hell yes.

FAB

Originally Posted by FABismonte View Post
    As you can see, you get to go to a kiosk (located near the Binion’s Slot Club) and spin a virtual wheel up three times a day. One spin after earning five points, a second after 40 points and a third after 300 points. It takes $8 in video poker action to earn one point. So the amount of action is $40 the first spin, $320 the second, and $2,400 the third.

I like to use full pay 8/5 Bonus Poker which has a long-term payback of 99.17%. So the theoretical cost of the respective spins are $0.33, $2.66 and $19.92.

The value of the spin varies and I only seldom get cash, but a modest amount of free play is not unusual and $10 to $20 in free food vouchers is quite normal as are small prizes like shirts or ball caps. You have to use the “award” within 48 hours. I do think the breakfasts at Binions are fine. I did get $50 in cash last weekend on the third spin-- only time I did.

In addition, at Binions you also get a buck in cash back for every 40 points earned and a buck in comps for every 20 points earned. I plan to use the comps for the Binion's Steakhouse. Also I typically get $20 in bounce back cash every month – and I only play this up to the spins.

So it looks like a minor advantage when you play full pay video poker up to the third spin of this promo. Will it make you rich? Hell no. Do I like to play dollar 8/5 Bonus Poker and is it fun to spin the virtual wheel? Hell yes.

FAB
    Thanks, FAB. I will give it a go sometime in the next couple of weeks. Much appreciated.

The Binions promotions is excellent if you live downtown or near downtown or if you're staying in the area for a trip. That's also assuming you like the food there and value it at face value. I've played it a few times and from what I remember, seemed like I'd get mostly food comps and oftentimes they were for different places where you couldn't use all the comps at one place. Like you get $25 at everywhere but the deli, then another comp like $10 at the deli. All the gifts are pretty much worthless.

But if you're going to be eating there anyway, it's a good deal.

Downtown is easy to get around from the hotel to the gaming. That's why I always liked it.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    Downtown is easy to get around from the hotel to the gaming. That's why I always liked it.
    More living in the past, thinking you're still an expert today....

Downtown is for lower-end tourists who like putting stupid pictures up on social media, and local slugs. I always try to stay away, but I was just at a luncheon meeting at Main Street Station and their brew pub is still pretty good. Most people downtown disgust me.

Thread Information