Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Rose By Any Other Name

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Disrespectful spooks. They'd be on the same handouts-program you've always lived on if it wasn't for them being bred to play football.
    Hey Rob, why don't you start putting up your picks so the rest of us can bet the opposite and make some money.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by dannyj View Post
    KJ,

Points taken. My perspective is, I don't watch sports (IMO neither does the vast majority) to see this endless activism. Professional players have very large audiences. Again IMO, players should say and do all they want on their own time.
    I completely concur, dannyj. I am a big sports guy. I would much prefer not to see any such activism of this nature. I would prefer not to even know that a player or coach or owner supported such and such a candidate as we frequently know. That has nothing to do with why I am tuning in to watch a football or basketball game.

It just strikes me as odd that some people, and I am talking more of media people than you, want to turn it into disrespecting the military or veterans. I just don't see that at all. I think it honors those who serve, for providing that freedom to protest. Now if these protests were against a war and or those fighting a war as protests were back in the 60's, that would be an entirely different matter.

If the NFL starts seeing less profits for too long (I hear attendances are down) this will end. Time will tell.
    I am not aware of attendance being down? We are only in week 3? But it wouldn't surprise me. After only 2 weeks the NFL has already almost admitted what a bonehead thing it was to put not 1 but 2 teams back in LA. Rams play in front of 25-30 thousand people in a stadium that holds 100 thousand and was filled the night before when USC played, while the Chargers can't fill up a soccer stadium that holds 27,000! Lame!

I guess they figure second biggest market....there should be a team (or 2 there), but those people....those damn southern California people have proven time and time again, they can't or don't want to support professional football. They like their college football, but apparently have better things to do on a Sunday afternoon.

KJ,

More than just in-stadium attendances. The ALL important TV ratings are down, with the trend starting last year. Owners wont put up with that for long.

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    KJ,

Points taken. My perspective is, I don't watch sports (IMO neither does the vast majority) to see this endless activism. Professional players have very large audiences. Again IMO, players should say and do all they want on their own time.
    I completely concur, dannyj. I am a big sports guy. I would much prefer not to see any such activism of this nature. I would prefer not to even know that a player or coach or owner supported such and such a candidate as we frequently know. That has nothing to do with why I am tuning in to watch a football or basketball game.

It just strikes me as odd that some people, and I am talking more of media people than you, want to turn it into disrespecting the military or veterans. I just don't see that at all. I think it honors those who serve, for providing that freedom to protest. Now if these protests were against a war and or those fighting a war as protests were back in the 60's, that would be an entirely different matter.

If the NFL starts seeing less profits for too long (I hear attendances are down) this will end. Time will tell.
    I am not aware of attendance being down? We are only in week 3? But it wouldn't surprise me. After only 2 weeks the NFL has already almost admitted what a bonehead thing it was to put not 1 but 2 teams back in LA. Rams play in front of 25-30 thousand people in a stadium that holds 100 thousand and was filled the night before when USC played, while the Chargers can't fill up a soccer stadium that holds 27,000! Lame!

I guess they figure second biggest market....there should be a team (or 2 there), but those people....those damn southern California people have proven time and time again, they can't or don't want to support professional football. They like their college football, but apparently have better things to do on a Sunday afternoon.
    KJ, you are absolutely right...no one gives a shit about either of these teams out here...all the people I associate with,and myself. are huge sports fans, and not one person was even a tiny bit excited about either of these teams coming here...no one wants another cities recycled trash team....the only way, in my opinion, an NFL team would get support here is if was a brand new expansion team....even the Raiders, with the millions of illegal alien fans they have here won`t fly.....L.A. is a great sports town...the Dodgers sell out every game...so do the Lakers...USC draws big...even the Kings and Ducks sell out and have a rabid fan base.

Originally Posted by Biloxi Bill View Post
    Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post

KJ, you are absolutely right...no one gives a shit about either of these teams out here...all the people I associate with,and myself. are huge sports fans, and not one person was even a tiny bit excited about either of these teams coming here...no one wants another cities recycled trash team....the only way, in my opinion, an NFL team would get support here is if was a brand new expansion team....even the Raiders, with the millions of illegal alien fans they have here won`t fly.....L.A. is a great sports town...the Dodgers sell out every game...so do the Lakers...USC draws big...even the Kings and Ducks sell out and have a rabid fan base.
    And, viewership from San Diego to watch the chargers undoubtedly is way down. Being from San Diego and still having many friends and family down there I know firsthand that many have turned their back's on the team and will no longer watch, aside from all the activism going on by the players.

living in Oregon now I was all set to watch the chargers play at 1:25 yesterday. That was the regional game on CBS for those who live on the West Coast. A few minutes after the opening kick off the TV screen went blank and the game was switched to the Bengals/Packers game. That pissed me off and made no sense, at that point I join my wife outside and stop watching.

There's two types of black people in this country. One group consists of the overwhelming majority of them, and these are good, decent, and honorable people. The others are just plain stupid ni*****, who disrespect our country, our flag, and our service men & women. They hate the system because so many of their "bros" are locked up for committing crimes, as they should be, but not as these "protesters" want them to be. Black lives don't matter any more or less than anybody else's. But these people were all brainwashed by the Obama years, where they felt "entitled". It'll take a while for that racist attitude to wear off, but it will wear off.

Trump as usual is 100% right--these NBA & NFL thugs and punks should be told to stand since they all a part of a respectable business--or fire their asses on the spot. Dollars to doughnuts 80%-90% of them end up in prison without their millions.

Haha Colin "RACIST" Kapernick. Tough love you dumb punk! Like watching all your buddies earn millions while you sit around pounding the pud?

----

Note by Dan Druff: I edited one of the inappropriate racist words here, and have banned Rob. I am leaving the rest of the post up, so people understand why he was banned.

Rob you're disgusting. If I had the power I'd ban you, just as I did before. You and Biloxi should take an RV trip together. You belong with each other.

You get what you ask for.

Not sure what you're referring to. I'm sure Pat Tillman would have said the same exact criticism of these disrespectful punks as I did.

I understand the "ban him" part though. Liberals always say they're the most TOLERANT people in the world....until someone comes along and either disagrees with them or exercizes THEIR right of free speech that is not part of the other's agenda.

Colin K. can lick me.

There is no room for racism here, Rob.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    There is no room for racism here, Rob.
    And that's exactly what I was referring to when it comes to our country and these few spoiled brat, racist players. So you agree with me. Thank you! They claim our white police officers--who protect them--are racists and kill blacks on purpose, when EVERYBODY knows that's not the case even by a long shot. These thugs are treated like any other felon when they break the law and don't obey an officer's command. The fact that there's a comparative inordinate amount of them who choose that type of life is no one's fault but their own.

Simple solution: do not sing the national anthem at the start of sporting events.

It serves no viable purpose and just delays the starting time.

It's a stupid ritual that people can refuse to participate in for whatever reason.

I don't care if they stand or sit, really: I just want to watch the game without extraneous distractions.

Now that it is politicized, get rid of it.

Problem solved.
    What, Me Worry?

I have no problem eliminating the anthems. It's irritating at hockey games/baseball games in Canada etc. anyway when they play two of them. They've served their purpose for many years, but ever since Obama poisoned our political climate with his dislike of whites and Jews, just about everything has turned into a hate-fest. Sports are suppose to be sports. I prefer just watching the sports parts.

Yeah, but why use the "N" word?

That is prima facie racist.

Unless you're a brother, in which case it's cool.

Go figure.
    What, Me Worry?

I'm not of the belief that certain words can't be used or written when not directed towards a specific individual. Blacks use it all the time so why not anyone? If we're truly all created equal then there is no problem. We see people use vulgarity towards others here regularly. To me that is far worse than any generalization.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Not sure what you're referring to. I'm sure Pat Tillman would have said the same exact criticism of these disrespectful punks as I did.

I understand the "ban him" part though. Liberals always say they're the most TOLERANT people in the world....until someone comes along and either disagrees with them or exercizes THEIR right of free speech that is not part of the other's agenda.

Colin K. can lick me.
    Just an FYI. Tillman's family condemned his name being dragged into this and the supposition that he would have objected to this form of protest as he lost his life fighting to protect such rights of protest and free speech.

The original "on the knee" pose was adopted because it was analogous to a flag at half staff, honoring the dead.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    The original "on the knee" pose was adopted because it was analogous to a flag at half staff, honoring the dead.
    Wasn't Tim Tebow told by the league he couldn't take a knee and pray before a game?

And what about those two faced owners? They condemn Trump but none of them will give Kaepernick a job.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

I honestly don't know about the Tebow thing. If you dig up any information on that, please let me know. The military, circa 2015, was paying teams 10 or 15 million dollars for "patriotic displays" before games. Basically paid advertising for the military. I remember John McCain complaining that the DOD spent at least 10 million and there was no paper trail for big chunks, so he was kind of against it without better accounting.

I feel like the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines all have their own flags, so if people were to diss those flags, it could be construed as anti-military. But the US flag is not a military flag, so a protestation of the US flag is showing minimal disrespect to the armed services because what one see when one looks at a US flag is personal and idiosyncratic. One person sees a military icon representing hundreds of thousands of lives lost to preserve the values of the United States. Another sees an icon representing hundreds of thousands of black lives lost to slavery that created the financial backbone of the United States. Both views are valid.

redietz

I hadn't thought of that and accept that you're right. However, at this time it is universally accepted that when the national anthem is playing at events, one stands (unless physically unable to) otherwise it it viewed as a sign of disrespect.

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    Wasn't Tim Tebow told by the league he couldn't take a knee and pray before a game?

And what about those two faced owners? They condemn Trump but none of them will give Kaepernick a job.
    I don't exactly remember Tebow's deal, I thought he was fined or flagged for kneeling in celebration after a score. I could be wrong.

Regarding the "two faced owners", the greatest hypocrisy that I recall was when Seattles' coach Pete Carroll, (although not an owner) had Kapernick in for a tryout. He didn't sign him, but said afterwards, he's a starter in this league. So...he's good enough to be a starter in the NFL but not good enough to beat out your no-name back up to Russell Wilson.

Thread Information