Thread: Fair use and copyright law

Since we often quote articles and use photos and videos in our discussions I thought it would be helpful to share this discussion of Fair Use under the copyright laws.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ial-30100.html

While I think redietz is being overly cautious, fair use is a very gray area of law.

It's basically a constant judgment call.

For example, the big question revolves around whether a "new work" was created when posting that excerpt.

Say I just copied page 37 out of the most recent Sports Illustrated, and posted it here. If all I posted along with it was, "Here's page 37 of Sports Illustrated. Interesting story!", then this would NOT be fair use. All I'd be doing was copying.

However, if I posted page 37 and analyzed the author's opinions, and offered my own to go along with them, then it would be a new work, and it WOULD be fair use.

Therefore, redeitz posting the articles would NOT be fair use, if all he did was post them.

However, it could be considered a new work if the articles were used as part of an ongoing story (i.e. thread) regarding a challenge to him to prove that he's really sportsbetting author R. E. Deitz. So in that case, I DO believe it would be fair use.

But it's not black and white.

You can't blame him for wanting to exercise caution.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Dan if redietz took a photo of a published article showing his name as the author with the title and a few lines of copy under the byline would it be fair use?

If I copied a paragraph from a post on WOV to show a comment by Rob would it be fair use?

Fair use regs can be somewhat involved in some cases, but not here. Redietz could simply post his links here for verification of authenticity, then post proof of identity. The purpose of the effort is nothing more than for verifying his claims--not to criticize or use the info for other purposes. Therefore, copyright infringement is and has always been irrelevant.

Add his refusal to post a thing along with his sketchy story about the west coast mailing fiasco, and the result is simply one conclusion: it's been all about deception since the get-go.

Rob read this:

Redietz says the articles were published years ago. THERE MAY NOT BE INTERNET LINKS.

But I want Dan to respond to my question about the two examples I gave. (I know the answers.)

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    Rob read this:

Redietz says the articles were published years ago. THERE MAY NOT BE INTERNET LINKS.

But I want Dan to respond to my question about the two examples I gave. (I know the answers.)
    And why do you think he said THERE MAY NOT BE INTERNET LINKS? Is that a responsible, true statement by a claimant? Did he make any effort? And why doesn't he give the sleuths here a shot at finding them? BTW, can you even locate this guy online?

As I said, he's all about deflection, diversion, and deception.

My mother was a model in the 1960s and earlier. Recently I found that the covers of Harper's Bazaar from that era had been posted on the web.

My point is at some time publications are putting their archives on the web.

My former employer in Miami is now putting archives of our news reports on the web. Mine go back to the 1980s.

This one from 1985:

Well then there you have it! If all that is now available on the web, then someone as super-important as redietz with his mountain of accolades from a mere 20-30 years ago, has got to be somewhere. The anticipation is almost too much to bear.

I'm getting a tingle up my leg right now.....

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Well then there you have it! If all that is now available on the web, then someone as super-important as redietz with his mountain of accolades from a mere 20-30 years ago, has got to be somewhere. The anticipation is almost too much to bear.

I'm getting a tingle up my leg right now.....
    I really do love this. Like I have nothing better to do than prove my existence to 50 forum readers. LOL.

Let's review this, shall we?

1) Alan has copies of the originals and doesn't want to read them. He could thoroughly debunk me, but chooses to not take a crack at that.

2) Rob has been offered copies of the originals and doesn't want to read them. He could thoroughly debunk them, but chooses to not take a crack at that.

3) The majority of the material is not written by me and has no byline with my name on it. It is written by others who have (A) published the records of major sports handicappers as monitored with subjective summaries of their business practices or (B) appeared in newsstand publications under a business's banner not Bob Dietz's Integrity Sports. Alan, of course, would know this if he had driven 30 miles to his office, or if he were sighted. They are not in braille.

5) Publishing a couple of screen shots of op eds with my name on them isn't nearly as convincing or complete an assessment of my claims as a comprehensive evaluation of all of the material. Obviously. But Alan, who has the stuff, refuses to do it. Rob, who is welcome to the stuff, refuses to do it. Isn't it a bit odd to be given access to everything, including a "home address," and claim someone is being deceitful? I mean, that's psychotic.

6) I'm here in Orange, gentlemen. Drop on in. Alan has the address. You can debunk everything if you do, right?

What to do For Mr. Singer and Mr. Mendelson, since both have evidently lost the ability to reason, read, or drive a vehicle? Yes, today's local wildfire is scary, but suck it up.

Well, I guess the only fair thing to do is whip up another copy and have Dan take a look and meet Dan in person. Dan, a friend of mine will be in Las Vegas for the Gold Coast Horse Racing World Series the weekend of October 8th. I could make it into town that Sunday or the following Monday. I don't usually drop football season scheduling protocol, but to be honest, I'm locked in really well, so I don't mind doing a little socializing. There's also the possibility I could make it in this week for 24 hours, but that would be dicey. Let me know if you'll be in LV for the next two weeks, and we'll work something out. Regnis, mickey, kewlj, Biloxi, you're invited, also. I didn't know if regnis would be appearing at the horse tournament -- if you are, come on down.

It's time to demonstrate that Mr. Singer is a clown and Mr. Mendelson has some issues. And I'll bring my handy dandy tape measure while I'm at it, and after I consult some optometrists, we'll settle the counting cards at other tables question.

Don't thank me. It's what journalists do.

Dan you up for this? But watch out -- the first villain in the first Spider-man comic book (which I have) was a dude called The Chameleon. He was a master of disguise. I could be him. But no matter who I appear to be, I promise you this. I'll be wearing a better shirt than Rob in Alan's videos. I swear.

Here you go again, redietz. I never doubted you to begin with. And I never said I didn't want to read them. I did say I haven't gone to the office and when I could go Tony wasn't there. Why do you lie?

I also posted that Tony went thru some of the 50 or so pages you sent and they contained what was expected: your name on various articles and your name winning various contests.

Now stop it. Because what you don't know, and I'm going to tell you this now, is that Dan and I have discussed this in a phone call.

You're a prima dona, Robert Dietz.

He's just a flake, starving for attention.

I suspect that he was not raised with an adult male in the household,
    and wouldn't be surprised if his history includes a nervous breakdown.

Here you go again, redietz. I never doubted you to begin with. And I never said I didn't want to read them. I did say I haven't gone to the office and when I could go Tony wasn't there. Why do you lie?

I also posted that Tony went thru some of the 50 or so pages you sent and they contained what was expected: your name on various articles and your name winning various contests.

Now stop it. Because what you don't know, and I'm going to tell you this now, is that Dan and I have discussed this in a phone call.

Pot calling kettle black.

In addition to redietz' nervous breakdown from the past, I submit that he's actually going thru one now. I mean, his posts used to be short and concise so he could go over them several times to do his own spell & grammar checks. Even that didn't correct the corn. But lately, since he started his BS about everyone giving a sh*t about whatever he claims to have done years ago, his posts have become endless rambles about him nervously setting the record straight.

Diversion, deflection, deception....redietz in a nutshell.

I just caught this. Good to know you and Dan discussed this in a phone call. That's excellent, Alan. I applaud you for having his phone number if not his address.

And the point is/was?

Thread Information