Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for Robert Dietz

inspired by Redietz and his "investing" in sports business.

Scene opens.....Jenny is talking to her parents

Jenny:mom i want you to make a good impression on joey when he comes over for dinner tonight
    Mom: dont worry Jen.....by the way what does he do for a living
    Jenny: He owns his own investment firm
    Dad: thats impressive princess.......I cant wait to meet him

Doorbell rings

Jenny answers and walks in with a man resembling Louie Depalma in Taxi, with a half smoked unlit cigar in his mouth, on the phone discussing a bet with a "client"..i mean discussing an "investment"

Jenny: mom and dad I want you to meet Joey
    jOEY: holds up his hand for the folks to shut up while he finishes his "investment" consultation

Mom: whos he talking to Jen

Jenny: he is talking to an investment client

Dad: why would the investment client need to know about the dallas cowboys

Jenny: because they might want to make an investment on who wins against Seattle this week.

Dad: you mean he sells sports picks and calls himself an investment firm consultant?

Jenny: Yes....whats wrong with that

Dad: walks to the kitchen, comes out, with a pistol......holds up the gun, and puts a bullet in his own head.

the 3 resume dinner after joey gets off the phone.

Sounds almost like a story you told on another site about card counters. Do you have no new original material. Are we just going to be subject to your recycled crap.

But I am glad you told it. It demonstrates in no uncertain terms, what you are about, putting down and discrediting AP's of all sorts. As if anyone didn't know that.

But that's ok. I suspect you won't be here long. I think Dan will give you just enough rope to hang yourself. And then you will be back over talking to yourself, the wall and garnabby/OneHit.

Originally Posted by LarryS View Post

Jenny:mom i want you to make a good impression on joey when he comes over for dinner tonight

Doorbell rings

Jenny answers and walks in with a man resembling Louie Depalma in Taxi, with a half smoked unlit cigar in his mouth, on the phone discussing a bet with a "client"..i mean discussing an "investment"

jOEY: holds up his hand for the folks to shut up while he finishes his "investment" consultation

Jenny: because they might want to make an investment on who wins against Seattle this week.

Dad: you mean he sells sports picks and calls himself an investment firm consultant?

Dad: walks to the kitchen, comes out, with a pistol......holds up the gun, and puts a bullet in his own head.

Larry, I'm sure you're just as enthusiastic explaining why day traders aren't really investing. While I agree with you that there should probably be separate words for investments of varying time durations, unfortunately in English, there are not. And then one would get into the realm of futures, which actually fit your definition of investment if time is of the essence.

Then one gets into the sticky question of "if something makes 10% a year for 40 years," is it investing or is it something else? I understand it's a tough, tough question. Now that is an average, and it's not even a modal score. The variances year to year are large, and I lose once every six to seven seasons. I say "seasons" because 90% of what I do is college football.

And finally, if it makes you feel any better, I haven't "sold sports picks" for more than a decade. But I forgive you for not knowing anything about the person you're referencing. That seems to be a quirk of yours -- all opining, no facts. That's okay -- one runs into it quite frequently on this site.

But wait, I anticipate your brilliant follow-ups. I operate on percent of profit. But wait again, I'm clairvoyant and can guess your next question. No, people do not get differing plays. Wow -- what a concept.

Really, if you're going to be a brilliant purveyor of truth, try to do a little research.

I'm sorry I missed any previous posts about Integrity Sports. I'm sorry I didn't know various contests were for professional sports tipsters. I made a mistake.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    I'm sorry I missed any previous posts about Integrity Sports. I'm sorry I didn't know various contests were for professional sports tipsters. I made a mistake.
    Tony didn't tell you about Integrity Sports?
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by redietz View Post

Doorbell rings

Larry, I'm sure you're just as enthusiastic explaining why day traders aren't really investing. While I agree with you that there should probably be separate words for investments of varying time durations, unfortunately in English, there are not. And then one would get into the realm of futures, which actually fit your definition of investment if time is of the essence.

Then one gets into the sticky question of "if something makes 10% a year for 40 years," is it investing or is it something else? I understand it's a tough, tough question. Now that is an average, and it's not even a modal score. The variances year to year are large, and I lose once every six to seven seasons. I say "seasons" because 90% of what I do is college football.

And finally, if it makes you feel any better, I haven't "sold sports picks" for more than a decade. But I forgive you for not knowing anything about the person you're referencing. That seems to be a quirk of yours -- all opining, no facts. That's okay -- one runs into it quite frequently on this site.

But wait, I anticipate your brilliant follow-ups. I operate on percent of profit. But wait again, I'm clairvoyant and can guess your next question. No, people do not get differing plays. Wow -- what a concept.

Really, if you're going to be a brilliant purveyor of truth, try to do a little research.
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post

Doorbell rings

actually I am just about done on this topic...once you claim to be in the "investment" field there is no more I can say. Using your picks as an "investment", paying 1k for a DI seminar is an "investment" buying John Patrick books are an "investment".

next thing you know you are going to tell us you are a professional......operating in a "profession"

nope.....not me....no need to go any further. You have taken the english language and molded it to your needs....I cannot have a cogent debate with a person who cannot grasp simple concepts and definitions

If i was Jenny's dad i would put a bullet in my head as well.

anyone who gives out sports picks can call themselves an investment advisor, and in this world anyone who counts cards can call themselves a "professional"....whether they are living in crack dens shooting up heroin daily, or if they are living in an apartment giving out picks via computer ...they are professional investment advisors and professional blackjack players...and there is no agency or board of oversight to deem them competent as in real professions.

heck call yourself "senior investment advisor"....give your self a promotion and call yourself " senior executive investment advisor"......i dont care..it always ends up being" buyer beware"

in the old days on a horse and wagon, people would come into town selling their miracle elixirs and potions...and we have on the internet the equivalent today. there are miracle elixirs to make your beautiful, make you money, make you well.

So take your fake investor advisor title, and KJ can take his fake tag of "professional" and live in your own dream world using your own personal language

I cannot have a cogent debate with a person who cannot grasp simple concepts and definitions.
    ...and KJ can take his fake tag of "professional" and live in your own dream world using your own personal language
    I HAVE grasped the definition.

pro·fes·sion·al.
    [prəˈfeSH(ə)n(ə)l]

2. (a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime:

"a professional boxer"

Perhaps it is YOU that doesn't understand the language.

The dictionaries AND the United States Government, which defines me as a professional gambler are wrong. And LarryS and whatever definition he decides suits him is correct. And this is why you have little credibility and no one takes you seriously.
    Last edited by kewlJ; 12-22-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Larry has problems with language going back years. Personally, if the worst someone can say about me professionally (see what I did there, Larry?) is that I use the word "investment" inappropriately, I'm good with that. I don't really know what other word to use regarding futures and middle shots and such. I did look up the word "investment," and -- gee -- it seems to apply. But with Larry, actual definitions do not matter, records do not matter, profits over decades do not matter. Industry recognition doesn't matter. In my case, giving academic papers vetted by academics and editors doesn't matter. What matters is Larry's opinion.

And that's the way it should be, because Larry has the absolute best opinions. Ask anybody.

And then Larry does his usual -- when presented with many things he said that were factually wrong, he doesn't address what he got wrong, or even acknowledge it, or (god forbid) apologize. No, he gravitates his verbiage to what he perceives as some weakness in the other person's presentation and opines. No facts, just opining.

Then he goes on his "the Larry definition is better than the dictionary or common-usage definition" sarcasm binge. Never mind that he's wrong regarding the definitions themselves. What's important is Larry's perception of himself as a great judge of what is valuable and what isn't.

And the dude is anonymous. How can a great purveyor of truth be anonymous? Actually, Larry is slipping somewhat. He used to at least assemble some facts here and there, or make some convoluted arguments to support his judgements. Now he just opines.

Larry, there's just two things I want to know, and I'm sure you can aid and assist me: (1) Does God talk directly to you? and (2) Is the Prez propped up by Russian money through Deutsche Bank?

the govt came up with the term "professional gambler" as a way to collect from a group of people. It was just a flunkie accountant in the IRS that came up with terminology that their agency uses. They will also acceot on a tax form without question
    professional ditch digger
    professional house sitter
    professional flyer distributer on the vegas strip
    professional dog walker
    professional walmart security dude
    professional ball washer.
    professional pimp

according to the govt...all those folks can call themselves professionals as long as they pay taxes.

yet none of the above have over-seeing agencies or boards that ensure competency, knowledge, professionalism at a determined set of standards.

A child molester crack addict sitting in prison can call themselves a PROFESSIONAL AP in good standing, a professional house sitter in good standing, a professional ditch digger in good standing.......and there is no agency that would take away their credentials.......BECAUSE THERE ARE NO CREDENTIALS.

A lawyer, doctor, pharmacist, nurse,teacher....that just got out of jail for murdering and raping a 12 year old girl.....could never attain their professional credential again. Yet A professional AP, a professional executive investment consultant, a professional blackjack player,all can maintain their self proclaimed credentials. There was never anyone who could strip them of their sel;f annointed credential.

It is comforting to KJ to know that he could slaughter a bus load of children, then rape them, then eat their flesh.....and never lose his status as a "professional". He can have blackjack tournaments in jail, win cigarettes and still be a professional. No one can strip him of that credential

Larry, you beat this subject to death at GF. Please don't do it here. I'm a self-appointed professional gambler. But I have a proven track record to myself. I don't care what others, especially you, think or believe about it. And I consider you to be a professional troll. I'm sure you don't give a rats ass about my opinion on that.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

very true MC. and have fun in life playing the role of a "professional"...it it makes you happy..thats all that counts. It doesnt effect me or society in a negative way....so why not.
    Dr PHIL had someone who claimed that he was friends with and wrote songs for Katy Perry. To each his own

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    Sounds almost like a story you told on another site about card counters. Do you have no new original material. Are we just going to be subject to your recycled crap.

But I am glad you told it. It demonstrates in no uncertain terms, what you are about, putting down and discrediting AP's of all sorts. As if anyone didn't know that.

But that's ok. I suspect you won't be here long. I think Dan will give you just enough rope to hang yourself. And then you will be back over talking to yourself, the wall and garnabby/OneHit.
    no with card counters, the father would put 2 bullets in the card counters head, and then the 3 would go have dinner.

I've grappled elsewhere with the concept of "professional gambler," and found it difficult and a bit thought provoking to define.

Formal education, credentials and certification are required of "white collar" professionals such as lawyers and pharmacists.

"Blue collar" professionals such as plumbers and electricians are licensed and regulated.

The gray area comes with wholly unregulated, self-taught endeavors such as gambling.

Where do you draw the line between a mere "occupation" and a "profession?"

I side with LarryS. on this one;a person who supports himself from gambling is not a professional, as there is no licensing, certification or regulatory oversight; they are simply successful gamblers, nothing more.

Sorry, AP's: you don't warrant the cachet and the respect of a true "professional."
    Last edited by MisterV; 12-22-2017 at 04:49 PM.
    What, Me Worry?

they are trades people. And there is nothing wrong with that. I cant decorate cakes, and admire those that can create those beautiful ones at weddings and other occasions.
    A cake decorator, a plumber, a carpenter, a mechanic are trades people.
    Card counting for a living is a trade. Something I dont do, and frankly dont have the patience to do. There is a talent involved, but having a talent in something doesnt make you a professional automatically.

There are 16 year old high school girls that have a talent at taking care of babies for hours at a time....they are called babysitters....not professional babysitters. They have a talent, they make money, and they are nit a professional. Having talent and making money from it is not the key to let you into the door of a profession. At least not those 2 items alone.

Its no dishonor to be a tradesman,,,,I dont know why some tradesman need to self elevate themselves in their minds by assigning themselves the moniker of professional.
    Its an awkward fit as the outside world observes.
    Its amusing
    But in the end it doesnt hurt anyone. just like a dude that brags in a bar he is Beyonce's cousin.

I don't even like the term "professional gambler." It's not descriptive of what I do. I'm in risk management. I risk money to win money. I find situations where I hold a mathematical advantage against the casinos. But there is a balancing act. I can't overplay my bankroll or I expose myself to going broke. I analyze and design plays where my risk of ruin is somewhere about .000000001%. Low risk/high reward plays are my specialty. So instead of calling me a "professional gambler" would you please call me a "risk arbitrageur."

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    I've grappled elsewhere with the concept of "professional gambler," and found it difficult and a bit thought provoking to define.

Formal education, credentials and certification are required of "white collar" professionals such as lawyers and pharmacists.

"Blue collar" professionals such as plumbers and electricians are licensed and regulated.

The gray area comes with wholly unregulated, self-taught endeavors such as gambling.

Where do you draw the line between a mere "occupation" and a "profession?"

I side with LarryS. on this one;a person who supports himself from gambling is not a professional, as there is no licensing, certification or regulatory oversight; they are simply successful gamblers, nothing more.

Sorry, AP's: you don't warrant the cachet and the respect of a true "professional."
    The main thing you have to do to come to such a conclusion is ignore the dictionary definition of "professional." Or contact Merriam-Webster and tell them to change the definition.

It is comforting to KJ to know that he could slaughter a bus load of children, then rape them, then eat their flesh.....and never lose his status as a "professional". He can have blackjack tournaments in jail, win cigarettes and still be a professional. No one can strip him of that credential
    no with card counters, the father would put 2 bullets in the card counters head, and then the 3 would go have dinner.
    Ok, I am done here until such time as LarryS exits. I am not going to participate on a site with this kind of really sick dude. The site was slowly heading in the right direction....I am not going back to the 'singer' days.

For what it's worth, LarryS isn't even posting new 'hate'. He is 'cut and pasting' the same hate he spewed at Gambling Forum. THAT should tell Dan Druff and anyone else what his intentions are here. Same as every other site he is on...to destroy it.

I wish those that I consider my internet friends, MickeyCrimm, Redietz, RS_, Axelwolf, as well as everyone else (even Alan) with the exception of LarryS, a Happy Holiday Season and good fortune, variance and maybe most important, good health in the coming year.

This will make, what, the fourth or so time you gave a dramatic exit speech?

How is he a "really sick dude?"

Relentless, sure, but "sick?"

Sorry, that dog won't hunt.

To my eyes it looks like you are pouting and stamping your ruby reds because someone you dislike is now posting.

Cowboy up, KJ; cowboy up.
    What, Me Worry?

I have no problem with the term "professional gambler" because I think most people understand it for what it is: gambling for a living.

But when someone involved in gambling calls himself an investment counselor I worry that there is potential fraud or scam in the works.

I don't know who would consider gambling as an investment that is on par with stocks, bonds, real estate?

However, with that said: years ago when I traded stock options my stockbroker said to me "if you want to gamble don't do options and go to Vegas instead. At least you'll get free drinks."

The thing that makes it hard to quantify is that despite my wanting to adopt the definition as I laid out above, in my "gut" I recognize that there are in fact professional gamblers.

Guys who make a good living via WSOP, for example; successful sports bettors like Billy Walters (pre-conviction, anyway).

If a gambler makes a good living, year in and year out, without any other means of support then he probably has the right to call himself a "professional."

In this instance, experience may take the place of formal education, and the ability to avoid being detected and 86'ed by the casinos might supplant formal regulation.

Whatever, if someone can make a good living from casino gambling I say "more power to you."
    What, Me Worry?

Thread Information