Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: STRIP SHOOTING VERY BAD

I have two questions as the days roll by.

First, how does the biggest shooting in American history find itself off the front pages to a Hollywood mogul sex scandal and the Prez arguing about what he's said to soldiers' families? Five hundred people shot takes a backseat to these other stories? How is that even possible?

Second, and more important, why has no mention been made of matching the bullets at the concert site to the weapons and ammo in the Mandalay room? That would be the first and obvious step in establishing that there was one shooter, and it would allow everyone to breathe a bit easier. But no declaration has been made.

Something is very wrong.

Point 1: unfortunately there's nothing "new" with the shooting.

Point 2: excellent question and observation.

Also have the guns been checked for fingerprints? But I think he was wearing gloves.

The notion that there were two shooters seems awfully far-fetched.

Why would a crazy narcissist want to share the "spotlight" with anyone else?

I've little doubt that all of the bullets will be recovered, to the degree possible, with proper forensic analysis done to match them to the appropriate weapon: takes time.
    What, Me Worry?

I was asking myself a question similar to the 1st one (I talk to myself a lot) you wrote below a couple days after the Equifax data breach occurred. It's strange that news that anyone with a credit card issued in the United States now has their SSN,DOB, and address for sale on the Dark Web would be a back page story after two days. I posit that the news is one of the powerful tools in our rulers' arsenal which is used for the purpose of informing us about what not to think about (sort of like hypnosis).
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post

First, how does the biggest shooting in American history find itself off the front pages to a Hollywood mogul sex scandal and the Prez arguing about what he's said to soldiers' families? Five hundred people shot takes a backseat to these other stories? How is that even possible?

Second, and more important, why has no mention been made of matching the bullets at the concert site to the weapons and ammo in the Mandalay room? That would be the first and obvious step in establishing that there was one shooter, and it would allow everyone to breathe a bit easier. But no declaration has been made.

Something is very wrong.

Let me tell you how the news business works:

1. People who decide what is news live, eat and breathe news all day. This actually clouds their judgment.

2. People who decide what is news probably live in their own isolated worlds and have no idea what the general public cares about. For the most part, "news decision makers" are young, without families, have no children, they don't know what it is to look for a job, they don't shop, they don't know what home ownership means, they don't know what pensions and property taxes are, they don't know what social security is, and they probably came from well-to-do families that sent them to private colleges, and since they live, eat and breathe news all day they get bored with the news they are giving.

3. Because the people who decide what's news live, eat and breathe news all day, they think anything that is "new news" deserves to be the new "top story" when in fact "yesterday's news" is still the top story.

So, Associated Press and Reuters are a bunch of bearded millenials who still live with their folks?
    What, Me Worry?

Unfortunately AP and Reuters provide news to the young kids two years out of college who actually decide what you see on TV and hear on the radio.

Thanks for the clarification. I had long suspected the news was of marginal value (the value part being box scores and weather forecasts).
    Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    Let me tell you how the news business works:

1. People who decide what is news live, eat and breathe news all day. This actually clouds their judgment.

2. People who decide what is news probably live in their own isolated worlds and have no idea what the general public cares about. For the most part, "news decision makers" are young, without families, have no children, they don't know what it is to look for a job, they don't shop, they don't know what home ownership means, they don't know what pensions and property taxes are, they don't know what social security is, and they probably came from well-to-do families that sent them to private colleges, and since they live, eat and breathe news all day they get bored with the news they are giving.

3. Because the people who decide what's news live, eat and breathe news all day, they think anything that is "new news" deserves to be the new "top story" when in fact "yesterday's news" is still the top story.

I'm a bit surprised, Mr. V, that if the forensics of the scene, done by multiple federal agencies, takes time -- in this case weeks, that we were definitively told four hours after the event that it was a "lone wolf" gunman with no accomplices. Without a forensics analysis. Without interviews. And with the industry convention coming to town the next morning.

I happened to be watching TV shortly after the shooting started and recall there were reports that the shots may have been coming from multiple locations.

One possible way to determine whether multiple gunmen were firing would be to analyze the sound recordings of the shooting in order to try to determine forensically whether two guns were being used simultaneously.

This stuff is way above my abilities to do other than speculate / armchair quarterback.

The event was fast developing, chaotic, and spiked everyone's adrenalin, leading to less than reliable observations (understandably).
    What, Me Worry?

They will keep digging until they turn up some false positives, and then it's the grassy knoll all over again. Just assume there are more shooters, in the form of copy cats, and other nuts. One guy shot up a school in the 80's or 90's, and the rest was history. But, it's cheaper to let more persons die. Nobody really gives a hoot, anyway.

Something is very wrong.
    Matching the bullets to the spent casings in the room is not easy. Once the projectiles, especially the .223 round, make contact they fragment. It’s a good chance that a bullet hitting the ground from that angle wouldn’t be a single piece of metal anymore.

I just saw sheriff Lombardo on a local news station reveal that Steven Paddock had lost a significant amount of his wealth gambling since September 2015. While I don't know what the amount of Paddock's wealth was or what exactly is a "significant amount", this seems to contradict statements by paddock's brother that Paddock had no money issues and earned millions per year as a "professional gambler".

Obviously, this guy either had an income source beyond what the public has been allowed to know, or he was taking a beating. I did the math awhile back for what Paddock claimed he was playing, and Paddock was losing 20K a week if he played half of what he claimed.

So that would be the flip side of why we get no info. Las Vegas probably doesn't want to be perceived as the lever that sucked this guy's wealth, gave him access to 6K a night hookers who wouldn't marry him (another story that has some legs) and therefore spun him off into depression, and basically generated the behavior that led to his shooting spree.

I mentioned earlier (probably in this thread) that in my time here in vegas, 8 years now, it seems like crime on the strip is rarely reported on local news and in newpapers. Only when it's something big like a shooting. I do think there is an effort to under report to protect the financial interest. They want people to feel safe on the strip.

You would think though in this situation, so big, a national and worldwide news story, that sort of coverup or "sweeping under the rug" would not be possible. But it does seem police have not been honest or very forth coming. I don't know who is running the show (investigation)? I would think it is the FBI, but the local police and sheriff Lombardo are the public face. He just hasn't looked forthcoming or truthful through this whole thing. I don't know if he is in over his head, or the things he says, he is told to say or what, but he looks either incompetent or to be covering up stuff. At minimal just not being honest. Let's call that "Alan Journalism". "Hi" Alan, when you coming back?

Today more than a dozen news organizations, including associated press, ABC news and CNN, filed a lawsuit seeing access to 911 recordings, body cam video, warrants and other information that is being withheld from the public. It just really has the appearance of some sort of cover-up or something.

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    I mentioned earlier (probably in this thread) that in my time here in vegas, 8 years now, it seems like crime on the strip is rarely reported on local news and in newpapers.
    And with Adelson buying the LVRJ it's only gotten worse.

Got to keep the wool pulled over the eyes of ma and pa kettle for the strip's business model to work.
    What, Me Worry?

The ballistic forensics of the Texas shooting have already been made public -- number of rounds fired, type of ammunition, weapon used. The ballistics forensics of the Las Vegas shooting -- nothing.

The ballistic forensics of the Texas shooting have already been made public -- number of rounds fired, type of ammunition, weapon used. The ballistics forensics of the Las Vegas shooting -- nothing.
    Ever since Gil Grissom quit CSI has been kind of slow.

Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    Ever since Gil Grissom quit CSI has been kind of slow.
    We took up a collection here in Tennessee and paid for our own Boss Hogg and our Sheriff Coltrane to help LV out. They've been there a month, but all they've uncovered are stories about 6K-a-night hookers and money troubles for the dude who shipped 100K in cash to the Philippines. Boss says the real reason he went off is the downgrade to 2K-a-night hookers. He says the markdown is real depressing.

Thread Information