Thread: 3 Coaches Walk Into a Bar

Some idiot had a letter published today (Oct. 26) in the Knoxville Sentinel. If any of you follow college football coaching and the nuances of some of the high profile jobs in the news, you might find the letter semi-entertaining.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/opinio...017/796775001/

The rumour is Bobby Hauck is coming back to Montana. Watch out Big Sky Conference! FCS championship game here we come! Go Griz!
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    The rumour is Bobby Hauck is coming back to Montana. Watch out Big Sky Conference! FCS championship game here we come! Go Griz!
    Many good football teams in that conference. You have Eastern Washington and its razzamitazz. You have Southern Utah -- beat UNLV a few years back. Montana and Montana State pretty comparable.

You can have him, mickey! I moved to vegas in Dec 2009. Being a former Phila Eagles season ticket holder and big football fan, my only outlet in vegas was UNLv football. I attended a couple games each of my first 3 seasons. Bobby Hauck was coach and the Rebs went 2-11 all 3 years! That Southern Utah win over UNLv, that redietz mentioned was in this time frame.

I can't put all the blame on him as UNLv football obviously has problems. All the kids from one of the nations top ranked high school programs, Bishop gorman, all go elsewhere. One of the years, there were notices up throughout the campus for QB try-outs. Have you ever heard of a division one program that didn't have a QB and was holding try-outs? I think the story was one QB got hurt in spring practice, one transferred and one got arrested.

Anyway, good luck with Hauck. While I don't place all the blame on him, I think he is overrated.

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    You can have him, mickey! I moved to vegas in Dec 2009. Being a former Phila Eagles season ticket holder and big football fan, my only outlet in vegas was UNLv football. I attended a couple games each of my first 3 seasons. Bobby Hauck was coach and the Rebs went 2-11 all 3 years! That Southern Utah win over UNLv, that redietz mentioned was in this time frame.

I can't put all the blame on him as UNLv football obviously has problems. All the kids from one of the nations top ranked high school programs, Bishop gorman, all go elsewhere. One of the years, there were notices up throughout the campus for QB try-outs. Have you ever heard of a division one program that didn't have a QB and was holding try-outs? I think the story was one QB got hurt in spring practice, one transferred and one got arrested.

Anyway, good luck with Hauck. While I don't place all the blame on him, I think he is overrated.
    KJ, we made one season total wins bet that year, and it was a sick one -- I don't remember the exact number, but it was either UNLV Under 3 1/2 or under 2 1/2. Anyway, UNLV upset somebody, and we needed Southern Utah to upset them. I have a Southern Utah shirt as a remembrance.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    KJ, we made one season total wins bet that year, and it was a sick one -- I don't remember the exact number, but it was either UNLV Under 3 1/2 or under 2 1/2. Anyway, UNLV upset somebody, and we needed Southern Utah to upset them. I have a Southern Utah shirt as a remembrance.
    Yep that's right. The Rebs upset Hawaii early that year in September at Sam Boyd Stadium. Hawaii was coming off a 10 win season and co-champs of the WAC (with Boise State) and were a pretty significant favorite over the Rebs, BUT Hawaii had played the week before at either Washington or Washington State, Lost, flew back home to Hawaii and then flew back to Las vegas in a span of 6 days.

And BTW, you know those games that Div 1 schools schedule early each year against supposedly "lesser" opponents to pad the record? UNLv has a history of losing those games. Idaho, Southern Utah, Northern Arizona, all losses in recent years. This year it was Howard that UNLv lost to. Who even knew Howard had a football team?
    Last edited by kewlJ; 12-01-2017 at 11:43 PM.

Under Hauck the Griz won the Big Sky 7 years running and went to 3 FCS championship games. They haven't been the same siince he left 5 years ago. The problem with UNLV is the people that run it push academics and don't want to be known as a sports school.

PS: And he beat up Idaho, Southern Utah and Northern Arizona every year when he was with the Griz.
    Last edited by mickeycrimm; 12-02-2017 at 08:44 PM.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Thread Information