Thread: An Agenda for the Occupy Wall Street Movement.

Despite all of the thousands of people involved in Occupy Wall Street and its offshoots including Occupy Los Angeles and Occupy San Diego, there is still no stated agenda for the movement. Yes, the Occupy Wall Street is making a statement for the other 99% of Americans and consumers who don't control the big banks and the big corporations, but they don't have stated goals. Rather they have a mish-mosh of objectives.

So, if the Occupiers are looking for some goals and for an agenda for their movement, let me suggest a few ideas.

1. Cutting and capping credit card interest rates. It's about time we did away with credit card rates of 30% or higher when other rates in the economy are around 1-percent.

2. Cutting and capping executive salaries and bonuses. Paying any executive millions of dollars a year, and giving severance pay -- golden and platinum parachutes -- of millions of dollars is obscene and nothing that consumers or stockholders should be stuck paying for.

3. Passing along the government bailout money that went to the banks, to the consumers who were overcharged high credit card and other banking fees.

4. Forcing the banks to, once and for all, refinance mortgages that are at higher than current market rates. I'm not going to advocate bailing out consumers who lied to get their mortgages and I don't think Occupy Wall Street supporters would want to either.

5. Change the tax system so that higher income workers, investors and corporations pay their fair share.

6. Change the tax system to eliminate sales taxes which hurt lower income persons. And immediately remove essentials such as basic clothing, and basic household and living expenses from the grips of the sales tax.

7. Change the property tax system so that homeowners and property owners are not forced out of their properties when their incomes do not keep up with property tax rates and assessed values. Ideally, replace property taxes with income taxes.

8. Start to grow the economy because only a stronger economy with more jobs will create the tax base needed to pay our government's bills and to pay down our debt.

9. End the needless wars that waste lives and dollars.

10. Turn foreclosed homes into rental units with a rent-to-own program giving those who lost those homes the first opportunity to get their homes back.

Those are my ideas, and what I would like to see come out of Occupy Wall Street. I invite you to add your comments and ideas here.
    Last edited by Alan Mendelson; 10-16-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Typos fixed, fine points added.

Thread Information