Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Benter

A fascinating story: I'd never heard of this guy.

He did what most can only dream about.

What, Me Worry?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3083433...f_=tt_eps_sn_1

Hustlers Gamblers and Crooks. This is kinda hohum in some areas but some are interesting enough. Some of these guys seem more storyteller than real to me but it is something to kill time watching .. at least as background.

There is even a card counter lol. He calls himself an "AP" .. turns out he is just a counter. Poker game host who I'm not so sure about.

Oh yea and that Micky guy with the face tats. What a crock of shit that dude is but lol he has sold his bullshit as good as anyone. I give him props for that.

Was going to post a thread about this but meh it isn't really worth its own thread.
    It is official. Redietz will never be on Dan Druff's podcast. "too much integrity"

Benter did what some gamblers say can't be done. He switched from one form of gambling to another. And, of course, they are wrong. Benter switched from a successful blackjack player to a successful horse bettor.

There are gamblers that say computer models using empirical statistics can't be used successfully in sports or horse racing. Enter Bill Benter. Benter used computer models in horse racing to become maybe the most successful gambler ever.

Considering having to overcome at least 15% house vig in horse racing, and the amount of money he made, Benter is better at the game than Billy Walters.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

This story flies in the face of all the foolishness redietz spreads on these forums. Look for a condescending post laced with thesaurus-fetched words and weirdo undertones.

Benter was also a skilled card counter. So wait for kew to pop up and try to virtually attach himself to the guy, while adding in a little of his usual plagiarizing in posts to come.

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    A fascinating story: I'd never heard of this guy.

He did what most can only dream about.
    Benter did well.

Meantime, UNKewlJ's only claims to fame are faking his death and being caught in some thirty lies across these forums.

What that video proves too is that AxelWolf could never know Benter's story because someone so
    Originally Posted by MDawg View Post
    Nervous, fidgety, constantly drunken, can't sit still can't stop interrupting people, and perennially forgetting what he just said a bit ago.
    could never sit down long enough to watch it. Assuming he was sober long enough in the first place.
    I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people.

MDawg Adventures carry on at: https://www.truepassage.com/forums/f.../46-IPlayVegas

Originally Posted by MDawg View Post
    Benter did well.
    In which ways is hard to tell from so little information about it.

My basic theory about the super big winners is that, from so many gamblers world wide, there will be enough who bet big enough (too few times for the odds to catch up to even them) to hit something super big. Surely there were a lot more more horse-savvy people around than Benter, before and after him, who similarly worked with computer and/ or the old-school, methods. Poker player Doyle Brunson avoided game theory. Why did neither of them come even close to a billion in winnings? It all just sounds so hokey, especially without any proof, or independent replication. The horse races in Hong Kong, or Korea, weren't so fixed as elsewhere? For the horse owners to share the purses, to stay in business. And, what did Benter do after those few years of enormous betting success?

Haven't watched the video, yet, but the title, too, seems pretty hokey.
    Last edited by Garnabby; 03-12-2024 at 08:32 AM.
    Every one /everyone knows it all; yet, no thing /nothing is truly known by any one /anyone. Similarly, the suckers think that they win, but, the house always wins, unless to hand out an even worse beating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsa6ojQcYXQ

Garnabby + OppsIdidItAgain + ThomasClines (or TomasHClines) + The Grim Reaper + LMR + OneHitWonder (or 1HitWonder, 1Hit1der) + Bill Yung ---> GOTTLOB1, or GOTTLOB = Praise to God!

Blog at https://garnabby.blogspot.com/

Garnabby, please.

Watch the video before you start criticizing and doubting on his accomplishments.
    What, Me Worry?

I wonder who makes those videos, and, what the motivation is. Besides that, I guess that it's only a matter of time until the MDawg puts one out. Ha.
    Every one /everyone knows it all; yet, no thing /nothing is truly known by any one /anyone. Similarly, the suckers think that they win, but, the house always wins, unless to hand out an even worse beating.

Garnabby + OppsIdidItAgain + ThomasClines (or TomasHClines) + The Grim Reaper + LMR + OneHitWonder (or 1HitWonder, 1Hit1der) + Bill Yung ---> GOTTLOB1, or GOTTLOB = Praise to God!

MrV,

I need to review the video several times carefully before commenting, but if Hong Kong racing is part of the narrative, I hinted at some of this when commenting on mickey's posts regarding "BetFest" at Circa last August.

Thanks for posting this. I think regnis may have commented regarding Hong Kong also.

Now don't get me wrong. I know as much about horse handicapping as I do about three-legged giraffe races (I lifted that comment from a 1979 interview I did), but I have been schooled a bit on the layout and dynamics of Honk Kong racing. It is radically different from American racing and dwarfs American racing. And you gotta read the form backwards (like the Dead Sea Scrolls, I think).

I'm currently swamped but will get to this sometime. Thanks for posting.

Bill Benter was able to win because he was at the right time and right place. The information asymmetry and very early days of computers did it. The ability to scale. He had a lot going for him.
    0 chance he'd have never the success today and very likely he would not even be able to beat today's races.

However if Redietz wants to tell us what is special about the horse racing maybe he can do it on Dan Druff's show.
    It is official. Redietz will never be on Dan Druff's podcast. "too much integrity"

Originally Posted by accountinquestion View Post
    Bill Benter was able to win because he was at the right time and right place. The information asymmetry and very early days of computers did it. The ability to scale. He had a lot going for him.
    0 chance he'd have never the success today and very likely he would not even be able to beat today's races.

However if Redietz wants to tell us what is special about the horse racing maybe he can do it on Dan Druff's show.
    But first Druff needs to move his show to Vegas into a studio, provide 5 star accomodations for 3 nights, travel shall be provided by hot air balloon from Tennessee, and daily monk shoe polishing.
    FraudJ's word is worth less than the prop cash in Singer's safe...RIP

Originally Posted by Garnabby View Post
    And, what did Benter do after those few years of enormous betting success?
    The answer is he became a philanthropist. He runs Bender Foundation, a charitable organization in Pittsburgh where he's from. He's donated multi-millions:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Bill Benter
    Born William Benter

1957 (age 66–67)
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Alma mater Case Western Reserve University
    University of Bristol
    Occupation(s) Professor
    Businessman
    Gambler
    Years active 1984 –present
    Spouse Vivian Fung

(m. 2012)​
    Children 1

William Benter (born 1957) is an American professional gambler and philanthropist who focuses on horse betting. Benter earned nearly $1 billion through the development of one of the most successful analysis computer software programs in the horse racing market and is considered to be the most successful gambler of all time.[1]

Benter has served as president of Hong Kong Rotary Club,[2] founded the Benter Foundation, is chairman and International CEO of Acusis LLC in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and occasionally lectures university students on subjects like statistics and mathematical probability.[3]

Benter is a philanthropist donating to charitable causes both in Hong Kong and the United States.[
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Here is a comprehensive article on Bill Benter's gambling career:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...se-racing-code

P.S. Benter wasn't the only horse betting success in Hong Kong. His onetime partner Alan Woods was worth 900 million when he died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Woods_(gambler)

An Australian name Zeljko Ranogagec also made hundreds of millions betting the Hong Kong nags:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeljko_Ranogajec

They all did it with computer models.
    Last edited by mickeycrimm; 03-13-2024 at 02:06 PM.

Here'a a Bill Benter quote I like:

"Gambling has always been the domain of wise guys from the wrong side of the tracks."

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    MrV,

I need to review the video several times carefully before commenting, but if Hong Kong racing is part of the narrative, I hinted at some of this when commenting on mickey's posts regarding "BetFest" at Circa last August.

Thanks for posting this. I think regnis may have commented regarding Hong Kong also.

Now don't get me wrong. I know as much about horse handicapping as I do about three-legged giraffe races (I lifted that comment from a 1979 interview I did), but I have been schooled a bit on the layout and dynamics of Honk Kong racing. It is radically different from American racing and dwarfs American racing. And you gotta read the form backwards (like the Dead Sea Scrolls, I think).

I'm currently swamped but will get to this sometime. Thanks for posting.
    Benter had dozens of employee's to do the reading. They were just feeding the information into computers anyway. Benter worked his way up to 120 data points he collected.

With the data you could hire any sort of relatively basic (but competent) data scientist and they could give you a program that would be super efficient. It is all about the data acquisition.

It would be very cool to see a list of those 120 data points.

I read his Wiki info, and a couple of other links. Very, very sparse. Almost KJ-esque, all that winning, and the supposed 100 million on a single ticket that he didn't even collect. Just couldn't bring himself to do it because he just knew that he would win 100's more millions, anyway. Lol. Desperate people gotta believe whatever's on the internet.

I read his Wiki info, and a couple of other links. Very, very sparse. Almost KJ-esque, all that winning, and the supposed 100 million on a single ticket that he didn't even collect. Just couldn't bring himself to do it because he just knew that he would win 100's more millions, anyway. Lol. Desperate people gotta believe whatever's on the internet.
    It was a very big story covered by dozens of news outlets. But you can always call the Hong Kong Racing Commission if you don't believe it. It'll be a great opportunity for you to rub mud in our faces.

Originally Posted by accountinquestion View Post

Redietz will get to the bottom of Hong Kong Horse Racing about the same time he reveals his credit score to Druff and appears on Druff's radio show. In other words, never.

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    It was a very big story covered by dozens of news outlets. But you can always call the Hong Kong Racing Commission if you don't believe it. It'll be a great opportunity for you to rub mud in our faces.
    I'm not the one who made the claim, so, you prove it. I simply pointed out that, for one thing, the chance of the supposed biggest winner winning on a 100 million dollar ticket is next to none.

Regardless, you, too, should have far better things to do than to dwell on it, and, say, the Redietz stuff (in thread after thread). Non-starters.

Thread Information