Page 447 of 501 FirstFirst ... 347397437443444445446447448449450451457497 ... LastLast
Results 8,921 to 8,940 of 10013

Thread: The WoV Thread

Redietz, I did some RESEARCH and I found an old copy of my resume online. How about that? My resume on the Internet!

Well, on page 3 of my resume was a section titled Major Articles Published.

There aren't exact dates, but these will give a hint as to where to look:

MAJOR ARTICLES PUBLISHED

“Credit Card Deals” Off Magazine 1995
    “Phantom Unemployment” Washington Journalism Review 1978
    “Better Off Dead?” Barron’s 1978
    “Getting Into Prints” New York Magazine 1978
    “Consumer Price Index” Columbia Journalism Review 1978

And no, we don't put on resumes things like specific stories or who we interviewed. LOL

Originally Posted by mcap View Post
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post

Kewlj this will be hard for you to believe... but there was a time when people didnt have cell phones to take selfies, and there weren't digital home recorders or even VCRs, and there was one film that took 35 minutes to process with a magnetic stripe to record sound on and it was stored in a tin can in a warehouse after its use...

And people in the business worried about the next newscast and not about showing something to their kids who maybe weren't even born yet...

Maybe yesterday's news always was yesterday's news.

Here's a shocker for you: the last time I had to prepare an audition tape was 1975. In it, was an interview with Jim Bouton about his vasectomy and a report when I was one of the first reporters to have the Zapruder film.
    The kids have no sense of their own narcissism. And that people just 40 years ago were not necessarily the same self-obsessed creatures.

It is mind blowing.
    Pots and kettles and what not ya jabroni.
    Except, regarding forums, I didn't mention what I did for my first 2500 posts here, and that was directly in response to Rob.Singer giving terrible sports gambling advice as if he were expert.

And, at LVAdvisor, I didn't mention it for decades.

And, at LVAdvice, I'm not sure, but I may never have mentioned it. Maybe once in one or two posts after years there. But maybe not.

And, you can do the research and look these things up yourself. So what'll it be? Anonymous dude prefers to believe what he wants to believe, or does the legwork and verifies what the real name poster says?

Redietz, I did some RESEARCH and I found an old copy of my resume online. How about that? My resume on the Internet!

Well, on page 3 of my resume was a section titled Major Articles Published.

There aren't exact dates, but these will give a hint as to where to look:

MAJOR ARTICLES PUBLISHED

“Credit Card Deals” Off Magazine 1995
    “Phantom Unemployment” Washington Journalism Review 1978
    “Better Off Dead?” Barron’s 1978
    “Getting Into Prints” New York Magazine 1978
    “Consumer Price Index” Columbia Journalism Review 1978

And no, we don't put on resumes things like specific stories or who we interviewed. LOL

Wow. You found a resume. That's wild.

This has about 1/10 of 1% the clout of what you've done, but it has a teeny bit of resonance. Back in the early 80's, I was on something called the Satellite Cable Handicap, which was a cable television sports show out of Buffalo. I wasn't actually on the show live, but was in a handicapping competition and led it for about two months, so my smiling face was featured in photos each week. I thought about how would I "prove" that. The show published a weekly report that was mailed to the show's viewers. But I don't know if I have any copies of it. I do remember getting a tape of one of the shows, so it must be here in the house somewhere.

But get this ... wherever it is, it's on beta. I'm not even sure how I'd play it.

Now, based on the fact that I don't think I've ever been on another television program, I guess I was supposed to cherish my time on the show and keep mementos to prove my appearances. Well, I have one beta tape of one show, and I don't know where it is.

Redietz when people have real lives what is on a beta tape from decades ago doesnt matter.

The only tape I regret losing was a tape I made as a kid with my father and two grandfathers. I played the role of a news reporter and I was interviewing my grandfathers who played the roles of of Eisenhower and Kruschev. I must have been 5 years old or younger because my paternal grandfather died in 1957 and my brother who was born in 1958 was named after him. The recording was made on a reel to reel machine. I can visualize it and sitting with my grandfathers and my father in the living room on a grey sofa to this day. It was my start as a reporter! LOL

Redietz when people have real lives what is on a beta tape from decades ago doesnt matter.

The only tape I regret losing was a tape I made as a kid with my father and two grandfathers. I played the role of a news reporter and I was interviewing my grandfathers who played the roles of of Eisenhower and Kruschev. I must have been 5 years old or younger because my paternal grandfather died in 1957 and my brother who was born in 1958 was named after him. The recording was made on a reel to reel machine. I can visualize it and sitting with my grandfathers and my father in the living room on a grey sofa to this day. It was my start as a reporter! LOL
    I would think it would still be cool to show those tapes to your grandkids. But I agree things were different in those days. Today every meal is videoed or has pictures taken of it and saved for posterity.

Not that my opinion matters overall but I believe you did the interviews you claim and remember you taking about some of them over the years. And can’t imagine what you would have to gain by making it up. And I personally find it interesting some if the stories you bring up that you covered over the years. Sadly that history is being forgotten and today’s generation really doesn’t care about what they consider minor stories in history.

Someone will surly bring up the 18 claim is response to me saying why would you lie. I think you actually believe you saw it and no one or math will convince you otherwise. But no, you didn’t see it. As they say, it’s not a lie if you actually believe it.

I also told Walter Cronkite to take a taxi from JFK airport. It wasn't one of the highlights of my career but it really happened.

I was the weekend Assignment Editor at CBS. Sunday night. A desk assistant answered the phone and says... "Mr Cronkite can't find his limo at JFK."

I take the phone.

"I'm sorry sir but no one ordered a limo for you. Can you take a taxi?"

I hear the phone slammed down.

The following week I'm at a party and in small talk I'm asked what kind of work I do. I mention I'm an Assignment Editor and part time reporter for CBS. And the guy says...

"Last Sunday I flew into JFK and I was in line waiting for a cab and Walter Cronkite was in line and he looked really miserable."

True story.

His secretary forgot to order the limo.

Originally Posted by mcap View Post

The kids have no sense of their own narcissism. And that people just 40 years ago were not necessarily the same self-obsessed creatures.

It is mind blowing.
    Pots and kettles and what not ya jabroni.
    Except, regarding forums, I didn't mention what I did for my first 2500 posts here, and that was directly in response to Rob.Singer giving terrible sports gambling advice as if he were expert.

And, at LVAdvisor, I didn't mention it for decades.

And, at LVAdvice, I'm not sure, but I may never have mentioned it. Maybe once in one or two posts after years there. But maybe not.

And, you can do the research and look these things up yourself. So what'll it be? Anonymous dude prefers to believe what he wants to believe, or does the legwork and verifies what the real name poster says?
    Listed bud, I know you’re trying to get someone to do the research for you so you know whether or not Alan interviewed four presidents, but it’s just not going to work.

Look, this isn't THAT difficult. This is a somewhat anonymous gambling forum, where members, some anonymous or partially anonymous, for obvious reasons, say some things, claims if you will, that others may not believe. That is fine. As I have said before, no one is on trial nor need prove anything. Most of these claims, "I won this", "I saw that", "I did this", as long as the claim doesn't defy the math, making it impossible or highly unlikely, it is up to each individual to decide what he finds believable or not. For me, that process begins with the math and then I add in some credibility factors, has this member demonstrated that he more often than not knows what he is talking about or is he one of those that just talks. And specifically, on this subject matter, has this member demonstrated that he knows what he is talking about.

Now again, no one is required to prove anything, however, when claims venture into the category of things, like "I saw 18 y.o.'s in a row", "I won 50 some hands of blackjack in a row" (Mdog), "I have had 102 winning sessions out of 104" (again Mdog), "I found the holy grail of the double up bug before those in the news" (Singer) and now these claims unrelated to gambling that "I interviewed 4 Presidents and a queen", well these fall into a different category. Still the claimant isn't required to prove anything, but if he wants people to believe such an extraordinary claim, the onus is on him to do so. It isn't really on other members to search the internet looking for something that may not be there, it is on the claimant. He should be able to provide something. Otherwise it is not unreasonable to expect other members to find you less than credible.

Well Kewlj I have said I cant prove that a random roller threw 18 yos in a row. As I've said many times before the significance of it passed me. I didnt take any names, I didnt ask for the tape from the eye. I blew it.

But when dice were thrown three times and ended up stacked -- and two of those rolls were by me -- and when I took photos, and recorded the times and dates and names of the boxmen-- and sent all of that to Wizard to post there wasn't a peep. Not a peep despite the posts by Wizard that he had spoken to dealers who after a lifetime career never saw it happen even once.

You know what the bottom line is? You and the others will troll what you want to troll and you'll look for any opening to do it.

You'll troll me. You'll troll Singer. You'll troll Redietz. You'll troll Mickey.

Little people troll.

By the way Kewlj, you've never proved anything about your claims about winning but I dont troll you. I'm glad you win.

Only little people would jump on you for reporting what really are very modest and believable wins.

Stacked dice. Three times at Red Rock. Details happily given on request.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Dude, this shit with stacked dice happens in Monopoly or Yahtzee all the fucking time.

I can't fathom why you think dice landing stacked 3 times is remotely close in probability to 18 yos.

Oh wait, I can, it's because you don't understand math.

You made up a bullshit story about seeing 18yos to get attention not realizing how absurdly stupidly improbable the bullshit story was. Instead of backing down and admitting you made it up you keep doubling down on the absurdity and keep looking stupider and stupider to anyone who understands math at a 3rd grade level, i.e. everyone.

And LOL @ dice landing stacked 3 times proves that I saw 18 yos.

Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
    Dude, this shit with stacked dice happens in Monopoly or Yahtzee all the fucking time.
    This is typical. Comparing a "throw" on a board game of maybe 6 inches with a throw at a craps table over 5+ feet that travel in the air, hit the table surface at least once, and then hit the back wall, and then bounce off the back wall and ended up stacked.

Jbjb you really are just 14 years old. Right?

Well Kewlj I have said I cant prove that a random roller threw 18 yos in a row. As I've said many times before the significance of it passed me. I didnt take any names, I didnt ask for the tape from the eye. I blew it.

But when dice were thrown three times and ended up stacked -- and two of those rolls were by me -- and when I took photos, and recorded the times and dates and names of the boxmen-- and sent all of that to Wizard to post there wasn't a peep. Not a peep despite the posts by Wizard that he had spoken to dealers who after a lifetime career never saw it happen even once.

You know what the bottom line is? You and the others will troll what you want to troll and you'll look for any opening to do it.

You'll troll me. You'll troll Singer. You'll troll Redietz. You'll troll Mickey.

Little people troll.

By the way Kewlj, you've never proved anything about your claims about winning but I dont troll you. I'm glad you win.

Only little people would jump on you for reporting what really are very modest and believable wins.

Alan, I tried to be respectful in my post above. You responded with name calling.

No, I have never proven anything and I never will. Through my time at WoV, 10 years, less 4 in absentia, in which you were there at the time, off and on as well, plus our time together here, you should have figured out that I share some of my journey as a card counter, supporting himself from card counting. It is not just the wins that are believable, but I share the losses, sometimes severe and fairly long losing periods as well. The only other person that has come close to sharing their losses and losing periods as I have is Zenking. But he shares ONLY his losing sessions/periods. (I will call that reverse Mdawg, who only tells about his wins) I have share my whole journey, ALL my experiences (that I reasonably could). And they are believable because they are real.

You will note the past tense in shar(ed), because even that, people used that information, to attempt, with some success to harm my career. So I have stopped doing so. Hell last weekend, I had a horrific two days of blackjack play that I would have liked to share, but I no longer can. I also am having a very "different" year for me, as far as advantage play, doing more things outside of blackjack (again by force from the circumstance everyone knows about), that I would love to share, but again....I can no longer do so.

I will say the one claim I made, that I can understand seems a bit fantastic to anyone who doesn't play blackjack is the tracking multiple tables claim. I understand that non- Blackjack players view this as extraordinary. And while I was unwilling to demonstrate, because it would have put me in jeopardy, I attempted to prove it the best I could, by providing the names of known, respected players that have come out and said they have done this also. That is the best I could do, or was willing to do. Other than that, I am fine with some people (especially non blackjack players) deciding they don't believe that claim. I have yet to see a real, known player, doubt it.
    Last edited by kewlJ; 05-20-2022 at 09:23 AM.

I understand Kewlj but what proof have you ever shown? Your multitude of posts isnt proof. It just shows you have a lot of posts.

But you're asking me to show photos of interviewing four presidents in an era when there weren't cell phones with cameras and TV news reporters had other things to do besides carry a Kodak Brownie around their necks.

Kewlj here's something rarer than interviewing Presidents. Something few American TV reporters ever did: I covered the famine in Ethiopia in the 1980s. And these tapes were uploaded to YouTube and you can find them.

And I'll make it easy for you. Go to this page and search Alan Mendelson.

https://www.mdc.edu/archives/wolfson...es_search.aspx

Originally Posted by jdaewoo View Post
    I can't fathom why you think dice landing stacked 3 times is remotely close in probability to 18 yos.

Oh wait, I can, it's because you don't understand math.

You made up a bullshit story about seeing 18yos to get attention not realizing how absurdly stupidly improbable the bullshit story was. Instead of backing down and admitting you made it up you keep doubling down on the absurdity and keep looking stupider and stupider to anyone who understands math at a 3rd grade level, i.e. everyone.

And LOL @ dice landing stacked 3 times proves that I saw 18 yos.
    I have to say....this is exactly my take on the whole 18 y.o.'s situation as well. I believe Alan saw something that he found (and maybe was) unusual. But it was not 18 y.o. in a row. I think he made that claim, maybe an exaggeration of what he saw, not realizing just how impossible it was. And when the math guys, like Wizard and Dan Druff and others, showed the math, explaining just how impossible that was, Alan, just couldn't bring it upon himself to back down or concede that maybe he was mistaken and that isn't what he saw.

Shackleford recently stated in no uncertain terms that Alan is anti-Math. I am not going to go back and find the quote, but he stated that Alan has more than proved that, over a decade at WoV and other forums. This was an extraordinary statement from Shackleford considering he not only allows but protects other members making anti-math statements and claims, under the guise of "free speech". I guess the mistake Alan made was not paying off Shackleford.

But you're asking me to show photos of interviewing four presidents in an era when there weren't cell phones with cameras and TV news reporters had other things to do besides carry a Kodak Brownie around their necks.
    Damn it Alan! I am NOT asking you to show anything! You are not on trial, nor required to prove anything. How can I make that any clearer?

But with claims this extraordinary, interviewing 4 Presidents ect, if you want and expect people to believe you, I would think that onus falls to you. Otherwise, don't be surprised if people doubt you.

Kewlj here's something rarer than interviewing Presidents. Something few American TV reporters ever did: I covered the famine in Ethiopia in the 1980s. And these tapes were uploaded to YouTube and you can find them.
    Well good Alan. If anyone doubts your claims about reporting on or in Ethiopia.....then you are covered.

As usual Alan, you are missing the point all together.

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post

Damn it Alan! I am NOT asking you to show anything! You are not on trial, nor required to prove anything. How can I make that any clearer?
    This has got to be the most hypocritical statement you ever made.

Everything you say about me is a trial and a demand for proof.

Thread Information