Page 13 of 501 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: The WoV Thread

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    "They can't wipe us out and they can't get rid of us because we're the people...."
    MA JOAD in The Grapes of Wrath
    Great Movie... here I'll elaborate on your quote a bit.

Ma Joad:
    Rich fellas come up an' they die, an' their kids ain't no good an' they die out. But we keep a'comin'. We're the people that live. They can't wipe us out; they can't lick us. We'll go on forever, Pa, 'cause we're the people.

Tom Joad: Seems like the government's got more interest in a dead man than a live one.

The truth is that Mr V has some sort of misguided hatred against the panhandler or hustler panhandling in our society. If he is upset about his tax dollars, he shouldn't be upset at the homeless or criminals. If you really look into it you will find that a very tiny percentage of tax dollars really go to the poor. Has Mr V ever stood in a soup line? I have. The food in most of them are usually the bottom of the barrel. This is one reason when I give to the homeless I do it hand to hand giving them higher quality food directly. I used to take it to the missions but I found out that they gave all the good food to the managers or people in the programs. The street people never seen it. The same goes for our government. You can trust by the time the funds get to the missions that the money goes to paying the electric bills and salaries. This is after the politicians stole the lions share. Try not to be mad at your fellow man in the trenches with you because you should be mad at the government and charities for misappropriating the funds that you pay your tax dollars into. If you know anything about taxes you will know that even someone like me doesn't get away with anything just because I refuse to pay this or pay that. We have over 300 taxes that we pay that we do not even realize we are paying. Hidden fees and taxes. It is an interesting weaved up system by far. So don't get too mad at the guy asking for some change after buying your next Rolex or whatever else your splurging on. You can either just say no and keep on walking or don't say anything but don't try to tell me that your mad at them because your paying taxes directly to them. That isn't so cut and dry.

Monet, I understand there are several types of homelessness (or "houselessness," as it is now being described), and I have no ill feeling for folks involved in situational homelessness, such as a lady and kids forced to leave an abusive relationship who have no place to go.

I get it, and I sympathize.

I do have a problem with people who choose not to work, who drift around up and down the I-5 corridor, begging.

Lots of these shit for brains dumb fucks are doing it because they want to.

Any American who begs should be beaten down with a baseball bat.

Begging is unseemly, very, very uncool.
    What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    Monet, I understand there are several types of homelessness (or "houselessness," as it is now being described), and I have no ill feeling for folks involved in situational homelessness, such as a lady and kids forced to leave an abusive relationship who have no place to go.

I get it, and I sympathize.

I do have a problem with people who choose not to work, who drift around up and down the I-5 corridor, begging.

Lots of these shit for brains dumb fucks are doing it because they want to.

Any American who begs should be beaten down with a baseball bat.

Begging is unseemly, very, very uncool.
    I get it now. You just feed me more bait to keep me into this conversation. Oooh a piece of candy! I'll play along a little more with you. You missed your calling a few years ago with the Pinkertons and Boxcar Willies and such. Let us assume you beat down ever two bit hustling panhandler type in America and since your ruthlessness is so feared you have changed the order of Evolution and for the most part you have eradicated this Evil upon the world. Whats next? Surely we can't stop with these tiny cockroaches? You will have to continue down your crusade and never end!? Certainly no way to draw the line and that line will only get more and more complex as you get into people with the power and money doing many more atrocious Evils.!? What about the guy you have been friends with for 10 years and finds himself in a situation that he put himself in and is broke and casually asks you for a 20 grand loan until he is back on his feet? Will you get your Louisville Slugger out of the closet and paint your walls with his blood?

For the record I spent years hitchhiking around panhandling and hustling from one town to the next. Over 30k miles in hitchhiking alone. I banged around from LA, to Vegas to Portland Oregon on and on. I certainly do fit the bill to be beaten down with the MLB bat of your choice. Good thing you missed me or I would of been extinguished over 20 years ago with no chance of learning or becoming a more productive member of your precious society... All Hail Mr V with my outstretched right arm. Truth be told sometimes I still panhandle just to stay sharp on your streets of gold!
    Last edited by monet; 02-09-2018 at 10:37 PM.

We all make our choices.
    What, Me Worry?

Monet, you and I have some similar history. I hate to brag but I'm somewhere above 100,000 miles hitchhiking. And I've probably got 10,000 plus miles on the rails. I was a day laborer. I knew where all the good day labor offices were in the western U.S. I was a bad ass day laborer. I did all the shit work no one in all those towns wanted to do. Packing furniture sure works up a sweat. Stacking 60 pound boxes kept me in shape. Toting 100 pound form boards up out of a pit and throwing them on the truck at 9600 feet altitude gives the lungs a good work out. Carrying prefab wash basin/cabinets up 8 flights of stairs all day keeps the legs in shape. I got requested by employers because I was known for no job being to tough for me.

But I carried a light load on the road and rails. A three pound sleeping bag and a day pack like the kind kids carry their books to school in. In those days the sleeping bags cost about $10 in Walmart and the day packs could be bought in thrift stores for a couple of bucks. I didn't pack the gear around in towns. I was always stashing them in the weeds along the highway. That's where I camped anyway. I didn't allow myself to get filthy and dirty either. Lots of places to take showers. I didn't want to look like a tramp in those towns. I was a well disguised homeless person. Consequently, my gear got stolen a number of times. But it was easy to replace. I used to laugh at the tramps that carried big backpacks full of who knows what. Clothes? They got clothes in the thrift shops in every town you come to. I carried one change of clothes in the pack, that's it. And a little grub. I also carried a good paperback book I would buy for 25 cents in the thrift shops. The Grapes of Wrath was one of them. Wherever I was camped I would read myself to sleep at night. Oh, and a $20 sony walkman. I used to like to jam out to the tunes while waiting on the on-ramp for a ride.

I both admired and hated the sign workers. They made easy money while I worked my ass off for low pay. But I was just to proud to work a sign. I'd rather dig a ditch and keep my pride. I just couldn't imagine some good looking chick come driving along and see me on the side of the road with a goddam "will work for food" sign. How frickin' embarrassing is that? I would want to shrivel up and die.
    Last edited by mickeycrimm; 02-10-2018 at 05:35 AM.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    Monet, you and I have some similar history...
    It does appear that we do have a similar past. I didn't ride the rails because I didn't know exactly how and hitchhiking was just easier and you most likely would get work or a meal or a place to stay from people who pick you up. Since I was a tall skinny white kid I suppose that was a bit of an advantage. I have no doubt if I was black that I would not have had it as easy. No matter what Mr V or others like him think this country is not set up to be a fair playground. Another factor that can put people on the streets is just mental problems or capacity. Not everyone has the exact same mindset or skill set. Sometimes the smartest most capable people just have a wire snap in the brain and they are on the street begging for money or talking to themselves not showering every day. These people who think they are above others or in a better social class do not really understand the American Dream. The American Dream is all about doing whatever you want to do without tyranny of the ruling classes. If an individual wants to be a bum they are free to bum around in America. If that individual wants to work hard and be ethical... so be it! If they want to go to school and get a job paying thousands upon thousands of dollars per year... that's good too! The American Dream is all about being your own King and that we are all equal and that we are all free to choose our lifestyle without fear of the baseball bat to our heads. You want to give to the poor good! You don't want to give to the poor that's good too! What Mr V and others is really suggesting is a New World Order and Death to America and it is sad to say but his way of thinking is winning and it won't be long before this country is unrecognizable. Some could argue that it already is.

My history isn't exactly like yours. I banged around. I did the day labor thing but I also went up to Seattle and got on the Fishing Boats to Alaska. I went to the Orchards in Yakima and drove tractor for them for a spell. I spent a good year sleeping on the sidewalk in Santa Monica playing Poker and collecting welfare. I worked in Hotels as a Bartender and Room Service Server and Fine Dining Servers as well. I worked as a dealer and floor person in Vegas. I lied, cheated and stole my way through life. It's all an illusion and a house built on sand. I have close to a million in cash but no big deal... it can all come crashing down at any moment. Recently I watched my Aunt have a minor stroke and things just completely change over night. Honestly at any moment any of us can be stricken with blindness or become crippled over night. Let us see how easy it is to keep the money machine turning when something like that happens!?

Monet, our history keeps getting more similar. I bartended in the eighties at the Landing Strip in Juneau, The Sunset Inn in Fairbanks, The Oasis in Anchorage and the Gold Rush Saloon in White Center, a suburb of Seattle. And I know all about Ballard and the boats. Seattle is where the corporate offices for the Alaska Fisheries is located.

Okay, here's a scam I used to run. In Dutch Harbor they paid stevedores $14 an hour plus time and a half over 8 and time and a half over 40. The work was seasonal. This was in the late eighties/early nineties. A one-way-ticket from Seattle to Dutch was $550. I never had the money when the season came around. I would go around applying for a job in all the corporate offices in Seattle for the catcher processor boats based out of Dutch. When they hired me they had to fly me to Dutch to get on the boat. When I got to Dutch I walked off the plane and disappeared. I had no intention of working on one of the slave processors. I went to Sunmar Shipping and and went back to work loading and offloading freightlers for the season. Of course I had to pay my own way out of Dutch when the season was over. LOL!

PS: I had to get away from the bartending. It was like putting a bull in a china closet.
    Last edited by mickeycrimm; 02-10-2018 at 09:47 AM.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

My beef is with those folks (some homeless, some not) who beg for money.

Whether it's some yahoo on the offramp with a cardboard sign or a spun woman begging any and all for "gas money" at the gas pumps, these people are an open sore and an embarrassment to all Americans.

I never saw this type of crap when I was growing up; why now?

I suspect that part of the problem is that a shit-load of the beggars are mentally ill folks who should be either institutionalized or closely monitored, but the new "honor system" of mental health care lets them disappear and go off their meds, leading to abject failure and begging.

Then we have those whose use and abuse of alcohol and/or drugs has led them to such a sorry state, and of course there are always those idiots who hit the road for fun and adventure.

Fuck them.

Not my problem.

Let your family, church, friends take care of you, don't be an embarrassment to us all by begging for alms.

My disgust peaked when I saw a chubby, white-bearded man begging at an offramp last xmas wearing a santa suit.

Enough.

Have they no shame?

No pride?

At least some are fighting back against this cancer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    What, Me Worry?

Singer would be having a field day trolling the shit out of this thread if he were here now.

We all make our choices.
    That's a questionable line at best. Of course, it's part and parcel of United States mythology circa 2018 that "we all make our choices," but saying it doesn't make it so.

If you actually read the social science literature, consider that virtually every study that tests human perception of "degree of control" in situations exposes the fact the people routinely overestimate their degree of control. Everything is perceived as being affected by one's decisions and abilities, whether it is or not. There are dozens of social and behavioral science journals. Read them. You don't have to be a trained scientist to get the gist.

And let's not forget that the world is probabilistic. If a gambling board should teach anything, it's that. At worst, we are a few years out from having programs that can run simulations of life paths and spit out probabilistic results. The same programs that fuel population analysis or simulate a 64-team tournament aren't far removed from being able to probabilistically predict life paths based on a handful of variables. These programs likely already exist, but aren't exactly publicized.

So while each individual animal makes moment-to-moment choices and strategies, the question isn't whether the choices are real, but whether the choices do or don't have significant effects, and does the starting resource level (and parents' resources) have more effect than "choices?"

If the variables that correlate most highly in U.S. society with income level are parents' income level and education (which costs money), then what does that say about "choices?"

Originally Posted by mcap View Post
    Singer would be having a field day trolling the shit out of this thread if he were here now.
    Sure, but Singer is an insufferable bag of shit that only see's the worst in people. He's a thoroughly disgusting human being with no redeemable qualities. And Alan has his nose up that's hair ball's ass.

My beef is with those folks (some homeless, some not) who beg for money.

Whether it's some yahoo on the offramp with a cardboard sign or a spun woman begging any and all for "gas money" at the gas pumps, these people are an open sore and an embarrassment to all Americans.

I never saw this type of crap when I was growing up; why now?

I suspect that part of the problem is that a shit-load of the beggars are mentally ill folks who should be either institutionalized or closely monitored, but the new "honor system" of mental health care lets them disappear and go off their meds, leading to abject failure and begging.

Then we have those whose use and abuse of alcohol and/or drugs has led them to such a sorry state, and of course there are always those idiots who hit the road for fun and adventure.

Fuck them.

Not my problem.

Let your family, church, friends take care of you, don't be an embarrassment to us all by begging for alms.

My disgust peaked when I saw a chubby, white-bearded man begging at an offramp last xmas wearing a santa suit.

Enough.

Have they no shame?

No pride?

At least some are fighting back against this cancer.
    V, there is only one reason for the proliferation of sign workers. There's money in it.

My first encounter with a sign worker I was thumbing I-84 and got dropped off in Boise at the Broadway exit. The traffic on the off ramp had to stop at a light then turn left to go into Boise. There sitting at the bottom of the off ramp, on the left hand side of traffic to be on the driver's side of the cars, was a sign worker. I was on the on ramp on the other side watching him while I was thumbing. Maybe every 30th car would hand him something.

After awhile he came over to me and told me he had a bunch of canned goods under the overpass and I was welcome to any and all I wanted. I walked down there with him and picked out a few cans of the good stuff. He had canned goods stacked three high for about ten feet. We had quite the conversation. He told me he didn't care about the food. He only wanted the money but some people would hand him a can of stuff and he would stash it under the overpass so as not to have to carry it around. I got a kick out of one of his lines. He told me "The tools are cheap for working signs. All you need is a magic marker and a piece of cardboard out of the dumpster." He also told me he worked signs to pay off his land in Montana. Then he pointed at the hotel next to the gas station and said "I'm gonna head back to the room for awhile. I'll come back out for rush hour. Hope you get a ride." LOL!

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dj-ja...b_2599092.html

the libs and civil liberties union made sure that mentally ill are not treated against their will.

In the above case that was widely publicized in NY media, "Billie Boggs" would cover herself with feces and sit in front of high rent businesses . According to the civil liberties lawyers, it was not legal to remove her, as it is not dangerous to cover yourself in feces.

thats the world we live in. Screw the businesses that lost patrons because of her appearance and stench.

so you ask why police arent rounding up these homeless? Just read the above.....they have rights.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Natural Selection might work for deer, bear, and other such animals but it doesn't work as well with humans who have emotions and some sort of a conscious.
    Why not? All emotions and consciousness are is just a more complex evolution of instinct. Animals are animals, whether they are human or other. Those who who do not benefit the tribe should be removed.

We all make our choices.
    Free will is a myth. Religion is a joke. We are all pawns, controlled by something greater.

Memes. The DNA of the soul.

But what determines who each of us is, and who gets which life? Or, are we all one self that evens out among us?
    78255585899=317*13723*17989=(310+7)*[(13730-7)*(100*100+7979+10)]-->LOVE avatar@137_371_179_791, or 137_371_17[3^2]_7[3^2]1, 1=V-->Ace, low. 78255585899-->99858555287=(99858555288-1)=[-1+(72*2227)*(722777-100000)]={-1+(72*2227)*[(2000+700777+20000)-100000]}-->1_722_227_277_772_1. 7×8×2×5×5×5×8×5×8×9×9=362880000=(1000000000-6√97020000-100000)-->169_721. (7/8×2/5×5/5×8/5×8/9×9)={[(-.1+.9)]^2×(6+1)}-->1961=√4*2.24; (1/7×8/2×5/5×5/8×5/8×9/9)={1/[7×(-.2+1)^2]}-->1721=[(10*10/4)/(√4+110)].

Originally Posted by pepe View Post
    Why not? All emotions and consciousness are is just a more complex evolution of instinct. Animals are animals, whether they are human or other. Those who who do not benefit the tribe should be removed.
    Your concepts fail when those who need to be removed are either yourself or the ones you care about. When the leaders come to execute your two children because they no longer benefit the tribe you will have a different way of thinking.

I think the better view is that "those who do not benefit the tribe" should no longer supported by the tribe.

We used to have poor houses: good idea, bring them back.

Let the homeless work for their daily bread, not beg.
    What, Me Worry?

This is Barney,

Ma and the Pa Joade were the greatest Americans and role models who teaches me very, very much about golden rules and the mathematics needed to be greatest AP at casino so I can get the chickys.

Thank you very much

I think the better view is that "those who do not benefit the tribe" should no longer supported by the tribe.

We used to have poor houses: good idea, bring them back.

Let the homeless work for their daily bread, not beg.
    as an american society we have long ago left that path of rational thought. as people sit in their armchairs and from long distance proclaim that anyone should be allowed to come into this country when they choose, and homeless mentally ill should be left alone, and the lazy homeless arent hurting anyone.

I grew up in a poor neighborhood, and i roamed the streets as a kid freely,....and never passed a homeless man sitting on the ground. or laying in front of a store, ot begging. Back then society didnt accept that behavior and speak of the rights of people to be homeless and beg.

But since then "civil liberties' have become one of the operable shields by which society has been allowed to deteriorate in the name of the constitution. Another shift that has allowed deterioration is tyhe acceptace of women/girl spreading their legs for men they dont really know and bringing children into the world. It used to be shameful, and reason to move out of town. Now its totally accepted. Its a way of life for some. Now a 14 year old tells you she is pregnant, and she gets told...."congratulations" .

Thread Information