Page 67 of 507 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 10128

Thread: The WoV Thread

Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
    .I guess its mentally healthy to adopt that philosophy, rather than kick yourself and say "i should have had it looked at years ago"
    Larry, you've made some strides. At least you now believe that Monet is telling the truth about his medical issues.
    Regarding medical expenses, in other countries, like England,Canada,Denmark, and Cuba for example, people don't have to go bankrupt to receive quality medical care.

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
    .I guess its mentally healthy to adopt that philosophy, rather than kick yourself and say "i should have had it looked at years ago"
    Larry, you've made some strides. At least you now believe that Monet is telling the truth about his medical issues.
    Regarding medical expenses, in other countries, like England,Canada,Denmark, and Cuba for example, people don't have to go bankrupt to receive quality medical care.
    You don't have to go bankrupt here either. If you have the wherewithal (be employed, or over the modest income threshold) you can buy insurance or have the lions share subsidized by your employer. If you're under the modest income threshold or not employed you get it free or at least subsidized via obamacare. Remember O'care only works for those who don't.

C'mon, the guy is blowing sunshine up our collective asses: he says he's got $900K.

Even today someone who actually had that sort of dough could afford good insurance and good health care.
    What, Me Worry?

If you can afford to pay cash for medical bills, it's cheaper to not have insurance.

Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
    If you can afford to pay cash for medical bills, it's cheaper to not have insurance.
    Ridiculous statement.

It's always cheaper to have insurance. But I'm sure you said that because you don't have insurance.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
    Ridiculous statement.

It's always cheaper to have insurance. But I'm sure you said that because you don't have insurance.
    Rofl

Insurance costs more money than what you get back. It’s partially the reason why an insurance company makes money.

You've never been in a hospital? If you were the first thing you'd notice is that your hospital bill is discounted because you have insurance.

Insurance companies make money off of the young and healthy and that was the problem for Obamacare -- the young and healthy weren't signing up.

But as soon as you get sick if you don't have insurance you're toast.

But as soon as you get sick if you don't have insurance you're toast.
    Aye, there's the rub: you don't need it til you really need it.

Same with homeowner's and auto insurance.

Those without insurance are engaging in a form of very high stakes gambling.
    What, Me Worry?

So in a recent medical matter, I was billed $142,000. I paid about $1,200. My insurance premiums are about $320 per month. Do the math on whether it costs more with or without insurance.

And that doesn't take into account the difference in price on the follow-up meds on which the insurance company has a negotiated price far below what your local pharmacy otherwise charges.

insuranceis a calculated gamble in healthcare.
    For me and my wife , we pay 20k a year on healthcare insurance.(medical/dental/rx)

I take 3 rxs total for my diabetes. hypertension and acid GeRD.....i pay for it without insurance and it comes to 25 dollars a month. 2 md visits a year would be 250 a year without insurance. And blood tests and misc tests a year might come to 500-1000.

If I dont get hospitalized that 100k in 5 years of savings.....vs possibly having to pay 100k if I need by-pass surgery like my dad needed.

If I didnt have any money accumuated in my home and savbings........then the gamble is less. However if one has a lifetime of accumulation of assets..then insurance is worth it. And if employers pay for most of it..then its really worth it.

I am un-insurable and that is why my wife has to work. Need her company's cadillac insurance.

My combined costs for my kidney and pancreas transplant with doctor and hospital fees was $1-million.

I paid one hundred dollars out of pocket. My "Cadillac insurance policy" through my union which cost me (at the time) about $3,000 a year paid the rest.

Today as a retiree I have the same insurance at a cost of $180 each quarter. I also have Medicare. I recently spent five days in two hospitals for a kidney infection and I'm yet to get a bill. I think the combined insurance plans will cover 100 percent.

I hope I am not subsidizing the APs who are using public health care as their "insurance" thinking they are pulling an AP play.

Why would an AP be able to take advantage of "public health care>"

They should be able to afford health insurance, just as most of us swinging dicks can afford it.

What, the fact that they choose not to work a real job entitles them to a bye?

Not in my world.

If they cannot afford health insurance that is a good indicator that employment-wise they're basically jerking themselves off; in that case it is time to quit fucking around and get a job!
    What, Me Worry?

I don’t know any APs without health insurance. Of course, insurance costs more money on average than no insurance, since you’re paying more into it than what you’d expect to get back. The purpose of insurance is to cut down on the variance of the -EV that is health care. But that’s for stuff that’s expensive where it’d make sense, like what happened to Alan. The part that really fucks you is that you’re also insured for the real cheap stuff. As long as you have some decent amount of money, it doesn’t make sense to be insured for the cheap stuff.

I don’t know at what point (net worth) it’d make sense to not have insurance vs paying for it, but I’d guess that’s a pretty high number. And at that point, your NW would be so high that your insurance would seem like mere pennies.

But it’s just absolutely retarded to say or think health insurance is cheaper if you’re only looking at it AFTER THE FACT that something bad happened. Do you also think that fire bet is better than the odds bet, after the fact, because it paid $5,000 on a $5 bet whereas the odds only paid $6?

RS there is no analogy between health insurance and gambling. Unless you die at home without seeing a doctor you're going to need health insurance.

I have a client that bought life insurance years ago to cover estate tax. He unfortunately (??) lived too long. He has paid $725,000 in premiums for a death benefit of $750,000. Had he invested that $725,000 he would have way more than $750,000.

The insurance company, like the house, usually wins.

Originally Posted by regnis View Post
    I have a client that bought life insurance years ago to cover estate tax. He unfortunately (??) lived too long. He has paid $725,000 in premiums for a death benefit of $750,000. Had he invested that $725,000 he would have way more than $750,000.

He bought straight term with no interest? He didn't buy whole life either?

Even my group term life policy pays interest which can be cashed out or used to pay premiums.

RS there is no analogy between health insurance and gambling. Unless you die at home without seeing a doctor you're going to need health insurance.
    I personally haven't had insurance since the mid 2000's. I do have it for my kids. Every time I've been to the doctors, I've never been refused paying them in cash.

Originally Posted by regnis View Post

He bought straight term with no interest? He didn't buy whole life either?

Even my group term life policy pays interest which can be cashed out or used to pay premiums.
    He got sucked into that old Universal Life crap. His premiums go up every year and little or no cash value. The dividends don't come anywhere near the premium.
    And if he hits 100 the insurance lapses.

My combined costs for my kidney and pancreas transplant with doctor and hospital fees was $1-million.

I paid one hundred dollars out of pocket. My "Cadillac insurance policy" through my union which cost me (at the time) about $3,000 a year paid the rest.

Today as a retiree I have the same insurance at a cost of $180 each quarter. I also have Medicare. I recently spent five days in two hospitals for a kidney infection and I'm yet to get a bill. I think the combined insurance plans will cover 100 percent.

I hope I am not subsidizing the APs who are using public health care as their "insurance" thinking they are pulling an AP play.
    With your medical history and the small amount you are paying for health insurance it is YOU that is being subsidized.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Thread Information