Page 68 of 507 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 10128

Thread: The WoV Thread

Sorry Mickey. I've been a member of my union since 1972 and I've been paying taxes since 1966. No one is subsidizing me.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    Sorry Mickey. I've been a member of my union since 1972 and I've been paying taxes since 1966. No one is subsidizing me.
    Insurance is one group of people subsidizing another group ioof people

healthy people subsidizing sick people

owners of standing homes subsidizing owners of demolished homes

alive people subsidizing the families of dead people

RS there is no analogy between health insurance and gambling. Unless you die at home without seeing a doctor you're going to need health insurance.
    Not true.

I am very healthy, have had no surgeries and rarely see a doctor.

I've paid out a shitload more in premiums than my insurers have paid in benefits.

The question of whether to buy insurance or not most certainly is a form of gambling.
    What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
    Insurance is one group of people subsidizing another group ioof people.
    For a classic example, consider Lloyd's of London.

Back in the day merchants all paid into Lloyd's to create a pool of moniesto cover their merchant ships in the event of loss.
    Last edited by MisterV; 04-20-2018 at 04:35 PM.
    What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    RS there is no analogy between health insurance and gambling. Unless you die at home without seeing a doctor you're going to need health insurance.
    Not true.

I am very healthy, have had no surgeries and rarely see a doctor.

I've paid out a shitload more in premiums than my insurers have paid in benefits.

The question of whether to buy insurance or not most certainly is a form of gambling.
    mot buying insurance is gambling only for people with attachable assets.
    A guy with no insurance and no attachable assets is free and clear to get pieced back together when in a car accident

but then again not totlally, because he may get peiced togehter, but if he needs follow up physical therapy..he is on his own.

although since obmama changed health insurance into a something way differet than insurance.......a person can be diagnosed with needing bypass surgery, and all he has to do is wait a few months for open enrollment and sign right up. Pay a few hundred for his low income premium, and get scheduled for a couple hundred grand procedure. The antithesis of "insurance". Sort of like having your home burn down and then walking into allstate office and plopping down 300 dollars demanding a policy that will cover the burnt down home.

And if you think Obamacare patients get the same level as private insurance patients you're fooling yourself.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. What about people who need treatment now and didn't even sign up for Obamacare?

What about people who need treatment now and didn't even sign up for Obamacare?
    They can either pay for treatment out of pocket, use their own insurance (if they have it), otherwise, AFAIK, they're fucked. They either should'a had insurance or enough money to pay for medical expenses.

Originally Posted by RS__ View Post
    What about people who need treatment now and didn't even sign up for Obamacare?
    They can either pay for treatment out of pocket, use their own insurance (if they have it), otherwise, AFAIK, they're fucked. They either should'a had insurance or enough money to pay for medical expenses.
    All I can state is that as individual who has worked for himself for the last 18 years, I was hurt by the new insurance laws a few years ago and now, that I have wandered into semi retirement, the laws are an asset if you take the initiative to register.

I will not bore you with the details of how the law hurt those who understood the healthcare system laws and used them judiciously when working as a sole proprietor. As a sole proprietor, healthcare was actually very affordable.

At this time, at least in New England, now, a couple with children can get tax credits for registering for health care. I believe the maximum a "couple with children" can earn and still receive a tax credit is 80K. I had been paying $2,100 per month for health care when I still had my business contracts. That was crazy. With the new system, not claiming significant income, I have a base rate of approximately $1,500 per month with a tax credit of $1,250 per month. Thus, I am paying $250 per month.

I have no idea why I am allowed to have a nominal income as a self employed individual and save $20K this year. I will state that since I am now withdrawing 401K money (I am over 59 1/2), that might be held against me and be considered income (unlike a Roth IRA).

So what am I trying to say? Please research your options for healthcare. It can be inexpensive. The government does not care how many houses you own or how much money you have stocked away in retirement. It is about your income.

Yes, I wish I had my former contract. Yes, I wish my wife did not retire 12 years ago. Yes, I wish I knew of this option earlier. But I am very fortunate to learn about this from a successful businessman.

Guys, health is everything. With some research, it can also be somewhat affordable.

Sorry, Alan, but you didn't even pay in a small fraction of the amount of medical bills you racked up. Someone else had to pay the rest. But that's what insurance is for I guess.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    Sorry, Alan, but you didn't even pay in a small fraction of the amount of medical bills you racked up. Someone else had to pay the rest. But that's what insurance is for I guess.
    Actually you're correct. I should have written that I'm not a subsidized freeloader.

Actually you're correct. I should have written that I'm not a subsidized freeloader.
    Neither are any legitimate AP's that I know of. The AP's that I know and network with pay taxes and have insurance. Some have families, including kids in college.

Perhaps you don't even realize how offensive your comments are Alan, but you continually expose your bias towards AP's by making comments about freeloading and being on welfare. You sound just like Singer. No surprise I guess.

Are there some lower end AP's just starting out that don't have health insurance? Sure. My younger brother for one (I have insurance for him that I don't know if he even knows). My point is yeah for younger AP's on a shoestring budget, health insurance may be one of those things that they "skip". Hey I did my first few years.

But guess what, this is not limited to young AP's starting out. Many younger people starting out, working a fulltime job, on a tight budget, have to cut corners and health insurance is usually at the top of the list, for a few years.

Just like young working people, there comes a point where a young AP starting out, skimping while he/she builds BR, must have health insurance, pay taxes, start saving for retirement. If they don't they aren't legitimately supporting themselves.

But stop with the assumption that all AP's don't have insurance, pay taxes and are not saving. That is bullshit. It is right out of the anti-AP playbook that your Singer's and blackhole type's spew.

Interesting point, for sure. Mr. Mendelson's comments could just as easily apply to almost anyone under the age of 40 working in the service sector. More than 70% of US jobs are in the service sector. It's not going to change anytime soon, as (depending on definition and survey) either 29 of 30 or 30 of 30 of the fastest growing jobs are in the service industries.

I think much of the anti-AP bias on this site is a disdain for people who are perceived as scrabbling for a living. I don't see working at a fast food business or retail or at convenience stores as being any less hard scrabble. At least the APs get to apply some creativity and planning to their workdays, and tailor their hours day-to-day to their abilities and fatigue.

Millions of folks have lost / will lose their jobs in the retail sector due to the rise of online sales via Amazon et al.

One must assume the burgeoning service sector will absorb the displaced workers, but what if it can't?

A society which does not provide an opportunity for employment to those who wish to work will not survive much longer.
    What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    Neither are any legitimate AP's that I know of. The AP's that I know and network with pay taxes and have insurance. Some have families, including kids in college.

Perhaps you don't even realize how offensive your comments are Alan, but you continually expose your bias towards AP's by making comments about freeloading and being on welfare. You sound just like Singer. No surprise I guess.

Are there some lower end AP's just starting out that don't have health insurance? Sure. My younger brother for one (I have insurance for him that I don't know if he even knows). My point is yeah for younger AP's on a shoestring budget, health insurance may be one of those things that they "skip". Hey I did my first few years.

But guess what, this is not limited to young AP's starting out. Many younger people starting out, working a fulltime job, on a tight budget, have to cut corners and health insurance is usually at the top of the list, for a few years.

Just like young working people, there comes a point where a young AP starting out, skimping while he/she builds BR, must have health insurance, pay taxes, start saving for retirement. If they don't they aren't legitimately supporting themselves.

But stop with the assumption that all AP's don't have insurance, pay taxes and are not saving. That is bullshit. It is right out of the anti-AP playbook that your Singer's and blackhole type's spew.
    I'm happy to know you pay taxes and have your own insurance. Is that the case with everyone who claims to be an AP? I would be pleased to know that it is.

In fact I would be very pleased to know that all APs pay their taxes and have insurance. Please assure me that is the case, kewlj.

I'm happy to know you pay taxes and have your own insurance. Is that the case with everyone who claims to be an AP? I would be pleased to know that it is.

In fact I would be very pleased to know that all APs pay their taxes and have insurance. Please assure me that is the case, kewlj.
    What? No I can't assure you of anything regarding other AP's any more than you can or should speak for other media shyster types. I speak only for myself.

But you asking this and the way you ask it is the real problem. It shows your bias...your clear contempt for AP's. Almost everything you say, is a challenge or an attempt to draw a line in the sand. An attempt to divide into "us" vs "them".

But I'm a shyster, kewlj, do you expect anything less from me?

Why are you so paranoid? What are you hiding?

Well, you don't have to answer that because you hide everything.

KJ seems more transparent than most posters.

He wears his heart on his sleeve for christ sake.

WTF do you suspect he could possibly be "hiding?"
    What, Me Worry?

Why are you so paranoid? What are you hiding?

Well, you don't have to answer that because you hide everything.
    Alan, Have you taken to drinking heavily in the early morning because you are making absolutely no sense.

People can and do chose to not like me. They can and do choose to not believe what I say or post. Or to believe or not believe in advantage play, or that the earth is flat.

But to say that "I hide everything"? I share more than most AP's and far more than most posters. I am an open book. I share my AP experiences, good and bad. The winning. The losing. I share my personal life experiences and how that relates to my AP life....until I am attacked for it. I have shared my journey relocating to 2500 miles from friends and family and everything and everyone I knew to start a new (AP) life. I have shared reuniting with my brother and mother after not being part of their lives for more than a decade. I shared, health issues. I have shared the death of the person I was married to and shared my life with, who was very influencial in me becoming and being an AP.

What more would you like me to share Alan? How can you possible say, I am hiding anything? Why do I feel like all conversations with you are part of the twilight zone? Some sort of alternate reality? You rarely make sense to me?

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    KJ seems more transparent than most posters.

He wears his heart on his sleeve for christ sake.

WTF do you suspect he could possibly be "hiding?"
    Thank you MrV. MrV here, is a member not all that fond of me....but at least he grounded in reality.

People who are down on AP's are just jealous because they are lacking the ability to figure out how to liberate themselves from being mired in the system with the rest of the cattle. People inherently want to be independent and live life on their own terms but they find that they must subjugate themselves and sell bits and pieces in order to survive. Most people have neither the income nor leisure to resist becoming entrenched in the matrix.

It has always been easy to persuade "normals" that those who spend their lives living on their own terms, protesting if you will, are losers and failures. Instead of getting mad at the controllers of the system they get mad and resentful towards the people that have figured out how to beat the system, everyone secretly and/or openly despises.

I live in both worlds currently. My office mates are for the most part miserable, unhappy, and heavily mired in responsibility for nonsense. They are prisoners of their reality. My AP associates for the most part do what they want when they want and live life on their own terms. All of my AP associates have wads of cash and do what they want in life. A lot of my office associates live in fear of next months bills. My AP associates wish me success in all that I choose to do. My office mates are resentful of any success I achieve above their own.

This site is trolled constantly by life's failures.

Thread Information