Thread: If there is a god......do you think

If there is a god, do you think he laughs at people who

see their children die and praise the lord that they are in "a better place" now

see people who avoid hurricane damage praise the lord, while others who were devastated by hurricane damage dont blame god at all whie still declaring his goodness.

does god ever get any blame for tragedy? I mean he gets plenty of praise from people who avoid tragedy.

what if there is a god that created earth and life....and then he just walked away...an absentee god. And all the death and despair that goes on daily occurs in a godless world.

maybe god just created all of this and lost interest....is on to the next adventure

and then again..maybe there is no god.

if he does exist does he laugh at people who thank him for a sports team winning.....but yet dont blame him when they lose. Does go let the teams with the most religious god fearing players win?

There is no god, LarryS.

The whole notion is part of what I'll call our cultural inheritance.

Primitive people, post-cave dwelling, created the idea of god in order to try to explain what to them was inexplicable: seasons, stars, lightning.

Over time (and it's a damned shame, but understandable) it became politicized, used by unscrupulous power mongers to control the masses and to enrich themselves.

Post-Enlightenment, people increasingly have turned away from organized religion, and it's about time: c'mon people, think for yourselves.

No religion survives empirical analysis.

The asshats in the scenarios you mention use the idea of god as a crutch.

Time to kick away that crutch; let them fall flat on their faces and then pick themselves up and move on.
    What, Me Worry?

did u ever see the movie religulous . Me and my wife were alone in an elevator going up with Bill Maher and a man who was with him at the Orleans where he was appearing. Just a few weeks after I saw the movie. I hate his politics but I liked the movie. I wanted to tell him that..but I just kept quiet and nudged my wife.

There is no god. Religion is a joke. A fantasy for people who are afraid of dying and need something to hold on to giving them hope. Its just a business too.

You best bet in life is to have fun now, party, travel, shoot guns, rage in Las Vegas, ride buggies in the desert, get drunk, bang hot chicks and look back knowing you had the best fucking time you could.

I believe in God. I talk to him everyday. I don't believe in organized religion. That IS just big business, praying (<- lol) on people's guilt.

I believe in a final destination and I think this life is part of that. Everyone is headed to a final hell-like or heaven-like destination. But there are a series of levels in between and this life is one of them. This life is one of those levels or steps somewhere towards the middle. How you behave here determines if you move up or down the ladder 'towards' your final destination. I have no idea whether there are 7 steps or levels or 19, or 131.

I am not fanatic about religion or my beliefs. I can appreciate those who don't believe. The only thing I would ask my atheist friends is what are the consequences if you are wrong? You will be headed in the wrong direction. But on the other hand, what if I or any other believer are wrong? We will have wasted a few minutes each day 'praying' or talking to God. And in effect even then it really isn't a waste. It is a few minutes to reflect, and have a little self awareness. It's a win-win situation.

As for god laughing at people...no I don't think so.

But it is interesting that 2 different movies (both comedies) decades apart, Oh God (George Burns as God) and Bruce Almighty (Morgan Freeman as God), kind of gave the same answer about God and why bad things occur and whether God answers prayers. Both made some sort of reference about "God giving us everything we need and it's up to us to make it work". That he is NOT necessarily answering our prayers. He certainly hasn't answered my Eagles Superbowl prayers.

So why does one need to talk to god or even acknowledge god.Why cant someone live their life and be judged if there is a hereafter based on ones actions. Is go such a egomaniac that he needs people to sing to him, talk to him.

Who makes the rules about what gets you to heaven, or as you describe a "level" of heaven. What if its as you claim from some dopey movie makes. Maybe god gave us everything we need to have heaven on earth and he desnt get involved. If he exists maybe he created..and just walked away and didnt hang around.

With all the pain and misery that goes on wroldwide on a daily basis,..your dopey moviemaker philosophy is probably closer to anything I have heard. I dont believe there is this super being you call god. But if there is one..he certainly isnt hanging around.

AND if he isnt hanging around, what does he care if you talk to him or pray to him, or thank him,

Is he a stuck up vengeful god that needs his recognition or else he doles out retribution as far as heaven and hell.

Does he count how many times each person goes to church, does he make note when a jew eats ham , does he keep a register of how many times a christian had pre-marital sex.....or even masturbated.

Imagine being denied getting to heaven because you went over the numerical quota for masturbation.....which is against judeo christian teachings..Or getting a much lower level of heaven because you fucked alot when you were young. Or maybe when you(the general "you") get married and forgets to thank god for the love of your life. It seems god needs his recognition or else he can fuck you after death,

I would think a real god would appreciate someone who lives a good life, and helps others, and has good morals without believing its going to help them go to heaven. You know volunteering time to help others without the thought of heaven as a payoff. To me those people belong in this "heaven" more than the hard line religious folks that has the "afterlife" always in the back of their mind.

A good person being good who is not religious should carry alot of weight for an observant god who sees and knows all.

Do the buffet religious folks who pick and choose what aspects of religion they would like to follow really fool this god you speak of.

will your god forgive you for threatening one of his flock? Oh I dont know......maybe another rung of heaven has alluded you

Most of the things you speak of....Jews eating ham, Catholics not eating meat on certain days, going to church or synagogue, sex and masterbating, who a person loves or has sex or a relationship with....are all man made things. They are not Gods views or rules. Organized religions are business. And they want you to feel guilty. When people feel guilty they will "donate".

God doesn't care about any of that stuff. Why would God care that someone eats meat on a Friday, but not care on a Thursday? Why would God care if a Jew eats Ham, but eating meat from a cow is ok? Why would God care who a person loves? These are all man made things designed so people will have a "guilt trip" and give more money out of guilt.

and the concepts of heaven and hell are also man made in order to keep people adhering to the religion. In order to get people to go to confession and get things set straight. Tim Tebow and others of his kind have said that jews and muslims will not go to heaven unless they accept christ as their savior. Again..a man made concept to get people over your your "side".

There is no evidence of heaven or hell, so its man made. There is more evidence of aliens than there is of heaven or hell. Let alone different levels of heaven and hell.

Its all in the minds of people who want to or need to believe.

Christianity is a minority religion in the world...so if they feel they are "the religion" then there is a shit load of people not going to heaven. Same with Judaism .

meanwhile if the ever was a god that created anything.....he is certainly not around. Like you said....he gave humans free will and the resources to live....and stepped aside. He doesnt kill people with tornados, nor does he spare people from hurricanes. He doesnt starve babies in africa, no does he give babies cancer in wisconsin.

The only thing I would ask my atheist friends is what are the consequences if you are wrong? You will be headed in the wrong direction. But on the other hand, what if I or any other believer are wrong? We will have wasted a few minutes each day 'praying' or talking to God.

what if I am a non believer and am wrong. Who declared that would exclude me from heaven??? thats a man made assumption

Thread Information