Thread: Novice computer printer problem/question

I have a HP 6 yr old tower home PC, and a3520 printer connected with cable

So now the black ink doesnt print(i looke d it up online and tried to unclog with alcohol and water as best i can as the tray is not detachable and i changed toners carts)....so I am going to buy a cheap printer like this one.

They all say "wireless". Does that mean they give me something to plug into the port of the computer(where the printer is currently plugged in) that sends a signal. Or does the computer itself have a transmitting signal internally? Not sure how the wireless portion works. Since its 6 years old will wireless be ok with this windows 7 HP.

I haven't used a personal printer in ages because the bastards never work.

IIRC, you need to connect the printer to the WiFi network. And considering your tower PC likely doesn't have WiFi.....=\

Although if you have a smart phone, you can email the document to yourself then print it from your smart phone, assuming, of course, you have WiFi at home that you can connect to with your phone and printer.

IMO, just email the document(s) to "printngo@fedex.com", or something like that. Go to fedex, print it using the code it sends you.

I have an older Windows 7 computer that I upgraded to Windows 10. If you have WiFi capability with your computer I think you will have no problem with a wireless printer. The simple answer is to ask at the store before you buy it. Know your computer model number. Be sure the drivers are available for your model computer. My guess is you'll have no problems.

thanks to both

yeah, i have no wifi...i have internet capability via my cable company.

the computer works very well and i would hate to trash it in order to be able get a 100 dollar printer.

do wireless printers allow me to save the cable from my old printer, and just hook it up. Is there a port. that allows mnaual connectivity?

I have a tower PC wired to a HP LaserJet 1320n printer.

Never any trouble at all with the printer or print quality; I use them at the office also, and have them serviced annually, just as I have the IBM Selectric typewriter serviced regularly.
    What, Me Worry?

this is an ink jet, and has 6 years of mostly black ink used....I read that black ink has tiny pieces of graphite that can clog the print head. There is a print head cleaning function on the printer that didnt help after serveral times. So I checked the internet and found its a common problem. I am injecting hot water, and isopropyl alcohol into the opening where the ink fits in. It has flushed alot of black out, and i did get to run a single copy of black print, and then it went cmpletely blsnk again....so back to cleaning.

I will probably need to get a new printer. The killer is I have 100 dollars worth of ink. The printers like this cost about 75 dollars, and they make a ton of money on the ink. Sort of like insulin meters for almost nothing while test strips cost 100 dollars.

I will ask a guy at besy buy this weekend what will be compatable. i mean there has to be a way...I dont see people throwing out perfectly good computers so that they can get a 80 dollar wireless computer to mesh.

Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
    do wireless printers allow me to save the cable from my old printer, and just hook it up. Is there a port. that allows mnaual connectivity?
    Everyone I've seen that has WIFI also had the option for wired. I'd guess your cable would work on both, but I don't know of they've changed them in the past few years. Worse case you just get a new cable.

thanks, when i buy it i will bring the cable... I feel better now.

Thread Information