Thread: Some shows should just be left alone

Roseann is returning. I think it wont fly.

This thread is for..... Things in a reincarnation that you have seen fail and should never have been brought back......and some shows that you think will fail if they ever brought back.

especially comedy has a shelf life.

I will start. Some comedy is age related and was funny when the people were young and vibrant.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...0&action=click

this is a classic. I remember it growing up.

It requires a certain timing and manic behavior that gets lost with age. Although Costello died early.....if he lived, and did that routine at age 68, it would lose something. And I hate when I see older comedians lose something because of age and get applause for the nostalgic aspect of their performance.

Some type of comedy isnt age related....dangerfield, youngman, carlin, seinfeld....all not effected by age.

It was a mistake to try to remake / update The Three Stooges, as was attempted with a box office bomb in 2012.
    What, Me Worry?

I agree

also bringing back some same casts didnt work for me

I loved Green Acres growing up.....and then maybe 20 years after it went off the air....there was a tv movie with all the cast....except older, and the same writers, but the delivery of the lines was not the same....it was just "off". Age can do that.I wanted it to be good...but it wasnt.

I watched Monty Python in college, and around 1980 went to see them in city center at NYC....and it was the same skits as expected....and was funny. Seeing them do the same skits in their 70s is a chore. The same with cheech and chong...I had their albums, listened over and over....saw them twice in the 70s.....but recently saw a live concert with them in their 70s, and again it was a chore.

sometimes it doesnt translate as they get older. Sometimes you need a younger manic energy that is notpresent in 70 year olds

Another example is...Jerry Seinfeld has a website, somethigng about driving around having coffee withcelebrities. And they talk about careers and comedy.Its funny. Obama even di a 15 min "drive" with him when he was pres.
    So he has a"scene" with him and george castanza character in the same restaurant set from seinfeld...and there is theusual back and forth jerry/george stuff. But it wasnt funny, The manic energy of george is gone....it leaves with age. It was 2 50-60 year olds doing that shtick that doesnt work anymore.

all the above are "nostalgic" and maybe nice to see one more time for old time sake.....but as far as content and comedic value....not so much.

seinfeld as a comedian is funny, because his standup is not manic or age related.

But a 65 year old steve martin couldnt do a wild and crazy guy anymore...except forpeople to say "that nostalgic"....not "thats funny

Worst remake to me--The Honeymooners with Cedrick the Entertainer.

Dinosaur rock.

Ewwwww!

Rock should be performed by those just starting to figure it all out, painting with the broadest of palates: not regurgitated walk-throughs performed yet again by cynical geezers who lost their voice and will to create decades ago.

Worst one: Peter Noonan of Herman's Hermits performed at the Lucky Eagle: I wanted to walk out in disgust but chose to hang around and watch him thoroughly embarrass himself.
    What, Me Worry?

Peter Noone plays for free most years in reno at the Hot august Nights week.(you would like that..mrV....people from all over bring their vintage cars, and dispaly them.....they are in lots to look at, and they also parade down the main drag of downtown reno.....

I mean he gets paid....of course...but no one can ask for their money back

in the 90's the company I worked for had a few day "trade show" where all the execs congregate at a resort..and the vendors pay for most of it. Coke paid for the entertainment that was in a banquet hall. One year it was the beach boys, one year it was the pointer sisters.....both fine performances. One year it was the fith dimension(they were big in the late 60s) and Jay and the Americans(popular in the early 60s).......I walked out.
    But it is interesting to know that some groups make a good living playing for "company" functions. For example "coke" has a stable ofperformers that they book for events for their best customers. So if Walgreens has a company "trade show"...coke sends the entertainment....since walgreens has 10 thousand stores and sells a ton of coke. And maybe cosmetic companies pay for the food, and maybe cigarette companies pay for some hotel rooms, and so itgoes. A big bash thrown at little or no expense.

Not all "dinosaur rock" bands suck; saw Fleetwood Mac at MGM a few years ago: good show.
    What, Me Worry?

I agree...and also as they age, you get to see them in smaller venues than when they were popular.
    I have seen some great acts in 250 seat venues
    graham Parker
    difford and Tillbrook-the mainstay of Squeeze
    PeterWolf
    Ray davies...from the kinks in a 2k seater

all very good.

Do you remember in the 70's around the time of American Graffiti and Happy Days.....there would be rock and roll revivals where there would be 10 acts that each did maybe 3 songs at the most, and then the big act did maybe 30 min like chiuck Berry.

Then 10 years later in the mid 80s, there were tours with maybe 6 acts....I saw one, Flo and Eddie(the turtles), Gary Pucket and the Union Gap, Spanky and our Gang, Three dog Night, The Monkees.

I dont see the same from the 80s and 90s(as far as 6 -8 group concerts) although I do see some interesting pairings, like 10 years ago I saw the pretenders and the B-52s. Ans I recently saw a pairing advertised of the Dobbie Brothers and Steely Dan.

Thread Information