Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Eagles wager

I went on record a day or two ago as saying the Eagles would somehow find a way to win the NFC championship game Sunday. So I should have wagered the money line. But I didn't. I went with Eagles +3.5 points (now down to 3). As a fan, I might feel even worse if The Eagles lose and I still win my wager, but it seems like the better wager to me (than the money line).

+3.5 and +7.5 are traditionally good numbers to have on NFL games, because many games are decided by 3 and 7 points. 3.5 seems particularly strong to me in what I believe will be a defensive low scoring, field goal type game. (watch the Vikings win 38-31 ). In addition the NFL goes to sudden death overtimes in the post season, so +3.5 points, gets a little extra value.

There is a possibility, maybe a strong possibility, that my heart is influencing my decision and I will be embarrassing myself and throwing away $1100, so I hope nobody is putting too much....make that ANY stock in anything I am saying.
    Last edited by kewlJ; 01-19-2018 at 12:05 AM.

So why didn't I bet the money line?

Actually, I am very happy with my wager and even happier the Eagles are going to the Superbowl. Not even going to think about the Patriots, right now.

congrats. I used to be a fan my fave teams....until I started to gamble. Then I became a fan of the teams I wager on per given day.

On another thread today I picked the eagles also, but was wrong on the under. You and me were hlf right....it was a low scoring game.....for one team though.
    It wasnt a game to watch after the second half unless you had a bet..so I turned it off.

My game was the earlier one...did well and was hopng just to enjoy a close game tonight...too bad it never materialized. Foles actually threw accurate balls downfield...wow

Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
    congrats. I used to be a fan my fave teams....until I started to gamble. Then I became a fan of the teams I wager on per given day.

On another thread today I picked the eagles also, but was wrong on the under. You and me were hlf right....it was a low scoring game.....for one team though.
    It wasnt a game to watch after the second half unless you had a bet..so I turned it off.

My game was the earlier one...did well and was hopng just to enjoy a close game tonight...too bad it never materialized. Foles actually threw accurate balls downfield...wow

I thought it would be a low scoring defensive struggle between two defensive teams. Only one team's defense showed up. I have seen the Viking play a half dozen times this year and their defense is awesome. I don't know who that was out there playing in purple and white. Didn't look like the Vikings I had seen all years. Maybe it was that domed stadium jinx. Now 0-13 when playing an away outdoor conference championship game.

When I had my heart surgery back in October, I had surgery on a Monday. Pre-surgery, the doctor told me if everything went well I should be released by the weekend. I told him I just wanted to be home to watch the Eagles next game (which was a Monday night game 7 days after). As we talked I asked which team he was a fan of and he said the same thing....something like "wherever I put my money this week". lol

Philly is going Nuts. Not sure how much you access Philly TV or papers still but winning yesterday was bigger than the Phillies winning it all in 08. The streets were filled with well behaved people until longl after midnight and the stations stayed on the air late.

The next 2 weeks will be crazy but I see a huge depression for the city if they lose.

2 teams I hate-lol. Not sure I will even bet the game as I can't cheer for either.

I dont see "depression"///I see them fuming over a handful of plays that didnt go their way. Talk stations will be filled with complaints about officiating rather than crying that they are depressed.

In Jacksonville local radio stations today are most likely taking calls about the 2 pass interference calls .ANd how the officials called 100 yards of penalties against the Jags......

Over the next 2 weeks I expect work productivity in the workplace to dissolve.......the proverbial watercooler will have the most attention.

Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Philly is going Nuts. Not sure how much you access Philly TV or papers still but winning yesterday was bigger than the Phillies winning it all in 08. The streets were filled with well behaved people until longl after midnight and the stations stayed on the air late.

The next 2 weeks will be crazy but I see a huge depression for the city if they lose.
    That happened in 08 with the Phils too. I was there. I lived in center city 2 blocks off broad street. The nights the Phillies won the NLCS and again when they won the World series, Broad street was packed and closed to traffic until 3am. And when I finally made it back to my apartment, I saw on the news similar outpourings in the Northeast at Cottman Ave. I didn't have access to the Philly stations last night, but I was pretty sure what was going on. It's beautiful things. I mean it really is. Strangers are hugging and dancing in the streets.

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    Originally Posted by The Boz View Post

Brings out the best in the city. There was nothing the National media could use to bash Philly. The one video making rounds shows some Viking fans getting beer cans thrown at them but that happens every week at most regular season NFL games. The Viking fans who put their gear on Rocky should have gotten a gentle beat down.

I know you have lived through it and I think you grew up around it but it’s hard for most to understand how passionate Philly fans are. Good people live and work in the city and just want a winner. I hope this team of underdogs gives it to them.

That happened in 08 with the Phils too. I was there. I lived in center city 2 blocks off broad street. The nights the Phillies won the NLCS and again when they won the World series, Broad street was packed and closed to traffic until 3am. And when I finally made it back to my apartment, I saw on the news similar outpourings in the Northeast at Cottman Ave. I didn't have access to the Philly stations last night, but I was pretty sure what was going on. It's beautiful things. I mean it really is. Strangers are hugging and dancing in the streets.

I often seem to put my reply in between the quotes on this site but you get my intent.

So I rolled my $1000 eagles win money over on the Eagles moneyline @ +190.

I debated for about 2 minutes whether to bet the money line or the Eagles +5.5 points. If I was a fan of neither team, the Eagles +5.5 would have been my bet. But that is NOT the case, and being that I am a huge Eagles fan, if they were to lose by 3 points and I won my wager, that would be no consolation, I would still be crushed. As a fan I cannot bet on them to be close, I HAVE to bet them to win!

However, the line has since moved, to where I can now wager NE @ -180 and make money either way. Not enough yet to entice me, but if the ML continues to shrink, I may go for a guaranteed win of a couple hundred (would take more movement) and just be a rooting fan.

If you're going to do ML on the patriots, why not just lay like $1800 to win $1000? Or 1700 to win 1000, or whatever the line is when you decide to bet it. That way you get a $100, $200, or whatever amount as a free roll on the Eagles winning?

Wouldn't be much fun, as a fan, to lay $1,854 on the Patriots to guarantee a $46 or $30 win, assuming I did the math right.

I think -180 Patriots ML is a good price, although I'd like to see it go down to -175 or -170 before I bet them. If I did it right now, it'd be a small bet for a few hundred at -180. So, we'll see. I hate betting on the Patriots because I don't like them. But hey, EV is EV.

Not doing the hedging thing. Line didn't move enough to make it worthwhile. I just have my $1000 winning from Last week's conference win, riding on Eagles to win @ +190. Hoping to donate that $2900 to Adam Bruckner and Philly Restart, which feeds the homeless on the Ben Franklin Parkway every Monday afternoon.

I love Philly, but swore I would never return there during the months of Dec-March, as I despise winter. But I will happily make an exception this coming week, for a Superbowl parade. I have only been an Eagles fan for 17 years, since I first moved to Philly back in 2001. But I know a lot of people that have been waiting for an Eagles Superbowl win their whole lives, 50+ years, including one that I am married to.

This is 'bucket list' stuff for many, and some like my grandfather never got the chance to cross it off. I don't know if it is going to happen tomorrow....But it is going to happen and tomorrow is as good a day as any.
    Last edited by kewlJ; 02-03-2018 at 11:57 PM.

This place is isane! All eagles fans just about!

Guess i collect my $4k wager!!! Eagles to win!!!!! Of course!!!

I didn't have a dog in the fight, but that was a truly horrific exhibition of defensive football. Looked like a WAC game from the 1980's. For once, the Pats got the worst of the officiating in a big way.

Everybody thought the Pats defense had dramatically improved from the opening month. You don't wind up 29th (or whatever) in yardage defense by being dramatically improved. The statistical "improvement" was mainly a spurious bi-product of playing the Jets, Bills, and Dolphins twice each after the opening month.

I wonder how the NFL is going to spin the fact that the Foles reception for a TD came out of an illegal formation.

See you at the parade KJ!! If you hit VF or Yards, I’m buying!

I also had no dog, although anyone that asked I gave over.

But the Foles play was clearly illegal formation. The Clemons catch probably should have been reversed. Ertz I felt was a good catch. Just great to see New England not get every call.

Originally Posted by regnis View Post
    But the Foles play was clearly illegal formation. The Clemons catch probably should have been reversed. Ertz I felt was a good catch. Just great to see New England not get every call.
    I don't know about the illegal formation. I don't know about that kind of thing, but I haven't heard anyone mention it on TV.

I realize I am biased, but I think both scores were good. Ertz, made the catch took several steps and dove for the end zone. That wasn't in the process of making the catch. Once he took several step he becomes a runner and at that point when he dove as soon as the ball crossed the goal....play over...TD.

The Clemons catch was a closer call. But I don't think he ever lost the ball. He caught it and it was starting to come loose, but never did. He got a better grip before it came loose, therefore always possessed it, IMO. And more importantly, in the opinion of the NFL, who makes the rules.

The Foles play will be mentioned plenty tonight and tomorrow. He lined up wrong. I'm surprised Collinsworth didn't mention it, but he may have been told to not mention it because it detracted from the broadcast and game, and they had already made a big deal about how daring the call was. So to come back and say, uh, sorry, that was an illegal formation, maybe they chose to not go there during the broadcast. I think you gotta give Ertz the catch. I thought Clemons, based on how this has been called all year, should have been a no-catch.

I thought the Foles play looked funky live, but didn't really process it. When I saw the replay, he was clearly lined up wrong.

Thread Information