Thread: Quincy Jones and Beatles comments

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jones had an interview recently where among other things he said the beatles were lousy musicians , and specifically called out Ringo and McCartney

So I was thinking....were they? Is it possible they had great voices, and wrote great songs, and had great producers doing their records.....but the musicianship itself wasnt their strong suit?

I never thought of it that way but maybe its possible.

McCartney could sure write songs, and he had a rubber voice that could handle alot of ranges. But I dont know enough musically to say he was a great bassist. Same for Lennon, and Harrison although with less vocal range than mccartney

I am sure there are bands that never made it or only made it minimally who had great guitarists/drummers but not the vocals or the song writing abilities. So to get the entire package can be hard.

I never heard "experts" glow over the instrument playing abilities like they do with Clapton, or Hendrix, or Bonham or Baker.

so maybe it wasnt a shocking opinion by someone more knowledgeable than me.

Because of their great success together and individually I never thought of this....as their other aspects sort of blinded me. But it could be a fact.

I'd heard comments in the past that Ringo was a lousy drummer, but this is the first I'd heard of the others being sub-par.

Clearly The Beatles fame was a mixture of good timing, good song-writing / craftsmanship, and George Martin, innovator extraordinaire.
    What, Me Worry?

yeah, I think George Martin was to the beatles as todd rundgrin was to meatloaf.

I have a couple of Todd's LP's, and they're both very good.

I especilally like his double LP "Something/Anything."

It has my favorite song from my senior year in high school "Hello It's Me."
    What, Me Worry?

I just heard that song again on the radio about a week ago, and it hit me that the song really featured his voice. Very simple background orchestration. His voice carried the piece of work unlike most music of that time.

Thread Information