Thread: Question for all the "its my right" follks

How many kids and adults have to be slaughtered before it becomes ok to curb assault weapons and automatic weapons. I know..."its my right" and "if the govt curbs my right to own weapons, then whats next...are they going to curb my right to own a butter knife".

Yeah yeah, you have the right now, and god forbid you give them up in order to save some lives. Because the lives of children are less important than your joy of owning an assault rifle or an automatic weapon.

TELL ME HOW GUNS DONT KILL PEOPLE,,,,,PEOPLE DO.

tell that to families of the school shootings, or public venue shootings. I am sure you will gladly see your wife or daughter or mother get shot in the head in a mass shooting just as long as you retain the rights to "own" what you choose.

Very selfish way to live

Just like Pit Bulls. If they were banned from sale....then there will be a bunch of people who will live each year that would normally die. mostly children. Every death is accompanied by an owner that proclaims that its the first time the dog showed aggression. But "i have the right to own what i want" prevails.
    You want a big dog.....get a great dane. You want a dog that is wired to rip any other animal(apart) if prompted in his mind....then fuck you.

Pit Bulls are built physically and wired mentally to rip you apart if it feels the need, basically if it feels threatened or feels his master/family is threatened....except that dogs dont have rational thoughts and may find a 5 year old that pulls on its ear real hard as an adversary.
    Or a 5 year old that pushes down his families child. It can be a death sentence. But I want i want i want a pit bull and nothing else will do, is worth 25 dead people in 2016.

Oh yeah like guns...its not the dog that kills kids and adults...its the irresponsible owner. It seems irresponsible owners are attracted to pit bulls....because 75 percent of deaths from dogs come from pit bulls.

yeah, i know , cars kill people too. Except there is testing and registration with the state required.

the weapons that are used in mass shootings are not the handheld pistols that people use for protection . No one is suggesting taking those away

So tell me..whats the number that works before people give in for greater controls on weapons. 17 children? 200 chldren, 1000 children each year. And how may adults at public venues....100? 1000? 20,000?....whats the number that makes one say "enough is enough"??????

Or does it simply take someone in your family getting a bullet in their head for you to wonder if change is needed.?

It sounds like you're of the opinion that it's okay as long as testing and registration is required. IE: Cars.

A Louisville Slugger has always been my means of protection. One in my car--one next to my bed. But I draw the line on the dogs. I helped run a dog training class at the local village and some of the nicest and most trainable dogs were Pit Bulls and Rottweilers. In fact, a few of the Rotts became therapy dogs that went to veterans hospitals. I do believe that most of the problems with dogs are that their owners are idiots and facilitate the bad behavior. I had to learn not to offend the dog owner and have them stop coming to class in an effort to get some training into their dog.

Originally Posted by RS__ View Post
    It sounds like you're of the opinion that it's okay as long as testing and registration is required. IE: Cars.

https://www.zeroto60times.com/2015/0...modifications/

there are illegal cars as well...

since 1991 England has a "dangerous dogs act
    where pitt bulls among others , you need legal permission to own, and if you take them out in public they need to be muzzled. Also must be insured and have a microchip.
    Deaths and maulings by dogs have plummeted.

some towns in the USA have banned pit bulls as well with similar results.

Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
    TELL ME HOW GUNS DONT KILL PEOPLE,,,,,PEOPLE DO.
    Exactly; the gun is not the problem, the shooter is the problem.

I agree that allowing the general public to have assault rifles is probably not the best way to go, given the ease with which a semi-automatic weapon can unfurl a barrage of bullets in quick succession.

But the real problem is with us, We the People: why in the past few decades have mass murders become so commonplace, and what can be done to curb the tide?

Is it the fact that assault rifles are now popular and readily available, which was not the case pre-Vietnam era?

I suspect that the rise in terrorism and with it the frequent slaughter of the innocents as reported in the news has helped implant the notion of exterminating others in the noggin of those who are angry at the world, themselves, and their perceived detractors: mass murder is common place world-wide, it gets media attention, and is deemed acceptable by the faction engaging in it.

By report Cruz was bullied; presumably he just lashed out as payback for years of scorn, isolation and ridicule; I can see why a guy in his position would feel pain from being scorned, bullied and flamed by one's peers, but that only provides a partial explanation and not a justification.

Bullying has happened throughout history, that's just the way we are: but only in the past several decades, it seems, has the level of killings escalated.

Maybe the increasingly liberal, politically correct climate is to blame, at least in part; bullying was once rarely if ever publicly discussed, and now it gets lots of media attention, which in turn induces those who have been bullied to feel justified in striking back: if a thing is wrong, there should be consequences, yes?

Has the advent of social media contributed to the problem?

I wonder whether most shooters were raised without much of a sense of morality, of right and wrong, being implanted in them, either by family or church?

Whatever the causes of the increase in school shootings something needs to happen to quell the tide.
    Last edited by MisterV; 02-15-2018 at 10:09 AM.
    What, Me Worry?

its a totally different world in that there is more "haves" and "have nots". As a kid in the 60's there was not mcuh difference between what rich kids had and whatpoor kids had. We all had cap guns, and base balls and basketballs, girls had dolls.

Yet today look at what is available. Video games, computers, smart phones, i-pods, 200 dollar sneakers, name brand shirts and pants, jewelry and makeup..all the stuff kids at school didnt have in the 60's.
    And for adults there are the adult toys, cars, boats, better jobs(or any job) entertainment centers/mancaves.

All those things are not going away. And overnight the have nots will not have the things they covet... The lives of the "haves"

Even the school shootings is about "have and "have not".....in this case not "having" acceptance by others, or intervention of the school to stop bullying. And then going out into the real world and not having a good life and blaming it on the school.

All that isnt going away. Schools dont have the money to have psychologists on duty, at least enough of them to know all the kids and their needs. They barely have enough to pay for books. Especially in school districts where they have to shift funds to provide extra classes for children who dont speak english well.

So we have to deal with what we have today and not pine for getting back to the past. Bullying isnt going away, it might be reduced in the 4 walls of the school, but in the school yard, and on the way home from school....there are no controls.

So all we can do are things that have a greater reward than downside.

So if we ban automatic weopons to the general public......the reward will be less lives taken in the long run.....and the downside is what? People who enjoy shooting automatic weopons will need to find another hobby, or they will shoot their regular guns or rifles for sport or hunting.

The same in england with pit bulls. For 30 years their society has survived well with people who want to own dogs .....surviving with owning non pitbulls. And the upside is that there is greatly reduced deaths from dog attacks. The pros outweigh the cons. And the law has not been voted down over the years. People learned to live without pitbulls and learned to live with the decreased death.

So here people will have to learn to live without automatic weopons, and also learn to live with decreased death.

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post

I agree that allowing the general public to have assault rifles is probably not the best way to go, given the ease with which a semi-automatic weapon can unfurl a barrage of bullets in quick succession.
    You keep using that term "assault rifle" and I dont think you understand that its NOT a real term. Its a made up media term to involve hype and sensationalism. When ISIS runs people over with rental trucks, do they become "assault trucks", No. The are just rifles, plain old sporting rifles. Not machine guns or fully automatic. The "AR" in AR15 stands for "Armalite Rifle", the company that made them and not "assault rifle".

Please get the terminology right here.

Thread Information