Thread: Did an "Open House" help you sell your home?

I've sold four houses in my lifetime and we never had an open house. Each one of my realtors advised me not to have one.

I thought that was strange until the first realtor -- and then the second realtor -- and then the third realtor -- told me the same thing: open houses help the realtors find customers for other houses, and not necessarily for the house with the open house.

Well, I'm sure that there are some home sellers who did find their buyer through an open house.

So if an open house helped you, please tell us about it. But if it didn't help you or if you have an open house horror story, please share that too.

One of my favorite open house experiences was back when I lived in the West Kendall area of Miami. The real estate market was young and brisk back then in the early 1980s and while new tracts were springing up on the edge of the Everglades there around Tamiami Airport, there were also a lot of open houses in the various neighborhoods as families flipped homes and moved up. Well, I remember going to some of those open houses to see what the other homes in the neighborhood were "bringing" on the market. And it seemed that every other neighbor was also at the open house seeking the same information. The lesson learned: if you're going to have an open house, you might as well bring out the barbecue, get some burgers and franks, and a keg, and make it a block party.

Thread Information