Thread: computer/mouse problem and question for someone" in the know"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The question up front is...do i have a computer problem or a mouse problem(do i need to fix the computer or replace the mouse)

I have a 6 yr old HP desktop/windows7. and a mouse with the red light on the bottom. Periodically the mouse goes off(the light on the bottom goes off and the cursor freezes). If I control/alt/delete it allows me to "loggoff" and once i do that I can manually turn off the computer...and turnn it on and the light on the bottom of the mouse goes on and its good for a while(although it gets kind of sticky at times on the screen)

When it gets sticky, the computer makes a noise that it makes when a device shuts off....like when i turn the printer off..it gives a little 1 second tone. It makes that sound periodically as the cursor freezes for a sec and unfreezes.

Also I changed my sleep time for the computer from 30 min to 10min, because if I am doing something I want to save, and I dont want to turn the computer off....I let the computer go to sleep after 10 min...and i hit the "enter key" and the computer wakes up and the mouse lights up.

I checked to see that the drivers were up to date. But I didnt uninstall and re-install....because i worried that if I uninstalled and i couldnt re-install I would be worse off..

SO the mouse can be woken up by turining the computer on and off, or letting the computer sleep and wake up

I tried changing ports(i have 2 ports that work for the mouse)....nothing different between the 2.

so is the computer disconnecting from the mouse...or is the mouse disconnecting from the computer

I am not an expert but it sounds like your mouse is going.
    I'm assuming this is a corded mouse - i.e. has a cord that connects it to your computer - because you didn't mention changing the batteries in it.
    I haven't used a mouse in years but when I did the cords would start going after a while so it wouldn't always connect. I'd get the sticky cursor thing you mentioned.
    With the cordless ones you don't get that issue but you have to change the batteries regularly.

Originally Posted by pkspins View Post
    I am not an expert but it sounds like your mouse is going.
    I'm assuming this is a corded mouse - i.e. has a cord that connects it to your computer - because you didn't mention changing the batteries in it.
    I haven't used a mouse in years but when I did the cords would start going after a while so it wouldn't always connect. I'd get the sticky cursor thing you mentioned.
    With the cordless ones you don't get that issue but you have to change the batteries regularly.
    yes corded....thanks for the input and fast response

It could be the mouse, it could be the computer, it could be a virus. Hard to diagnose over the internet. I would run windows updates and make sure the computer is to date (important for virus protection). I would google MBAM. Download the mbam antivirus free version. Run a virus scan. Having changed usb ports is good but not sufficient for a diagnosis.

Why did you not take the free windows 10 upgrade when it was offered?

I wasnt aware of the free upgrade.

anyway I had it in my head that it had to be a computer problem since it temp fixes when i restart the computer.

But then pkspins suggested it might be the mouse/cord.

So the next time it froze, I played with the cord, kind of squeezing the cord between 2 fingers, up and down the length of the length of the cord...and would you know it...it would turn on the mouse. It happens a few times a day,,but its not as big a deal anymore now that i dont have to restart the computer. Its a physical problem with the mouse that is easily fixed or replaced. thanks

Thread Information