First of all, I want to thank mickey crimm for posting his "Road Pics." That thread motivated me to post this thread.

I'll be taking on some new responsibilities as I prep for 2018 football. I realized that they are really old responsibilities in that I'll be doing more of the kinds of things that I did 20 to 40 years ago. This season promises to be quite different for various reasons, and it also promises to be quite long, as a new professional league (the AAF) plans to launch immediately after the 2019 Super Bowl.

I have been doing this sports handicapping thing for a long, long time. What I hope to accomplish in this Retro Road Trip thread is to allow the observations of today to resonate with the experiences and memories of decades past. I'll do my best to place them side by side. For that, I'll need to resuscitate some old skills. I was a photographer for some small papers once upon a time, and I think I'll need that photographer's eye once again.

For the next two months, I'll be zigzagging the country, meeting people and getting organized. Most, but not all, of the meetings will involve debates regarding wagering in general and the impending legalization of sports betting.

The Las Vegas and offshore sports books have, each year, been making football wagering options available on earlier and earlier dates. The Retro Road Trip will begin with preparation to scout futures in Las Vegas.