I was cleaning a room up in preparation for painting when I stumbled upon my old stash of "Tipsters or Gypsters?", published by Mike McCusker in the 80's and 90's. I had a few lying around, but was wondering where the majority of my copies had been. I also found the first page of an article written by longtime S.F. Chronicle sports editor, Art Rosenbaum, that discussed "Tipsters or Gypsters?" and McCusker. Rosenbaum occasionally contributed to Sports Illustrated.

McCusker kept tabs on the handicappers of the day and published their annual and multi-year records each year for all to see. He was tough (Rosenbaum calls him "acerbic," I believe). McCusker's editorial blurbs, where he mentioned any hiccups by handicappers in honesty or effectiveness, led most to abandon his ship, mainly because very few handicappers win in the long term. McCusker went from tracking roughly 150 services to about 25 before folding his tent and retiring.

If anyone has an interest, I'll take a photo and post the first page of the Rosenbaum piece.