Originally Posted by monet View Post
Originally Posted by MaxPen View Post
I believe in paying for anyone that I invite to dinner and that includes tip. Comps or not. However, most people that I choose to associate with are most likely going to insist on taking care of the tip. This thread is an example of the poker community mentality. A bunch of self obsessed and selfish losers with a few exceptions.
It is obvious that you deal with both cultures or communities. I haven't dealt with the poker side for about 7 years but it hasn't changed that much from my understanding. Poker Players as a whole and that is a high 99% of the so called "pro players" are some sick individuals. Myself Included. One of the most funny things to me is the types that refuse to take part in any collusion with poker but they will stiff every dealer and any tipped position employee. Not only will they stiff everyone but they will constantly preach about why they stiff them and break down the money lost annually or how they are saving thousands upon thousands from not tipping. It is just ugly plain and simple.

If you invite players or people to dinner and you are not upfront with your intentions than the person who invited said players to dinner is responsible for all bills and tips. If you want to tell someone that you have a comp and we should go to dinner you should make it known to that person right there that you expect them to chip in on the tip or take care of the tip or take care of overages. The problem is these players don't say anything till after the bill comes and than the war breaks out. They are most likely doing it to push buttons or start an argument because gamblers in general love to needle one another.

Most of the time and I am sure you understand this Maxpen is that players like myself or you or others are inviting many bust outs or rail birds to free dinner. How can anyone expect rail birds or bust outs to chip into the bill for anything. These people have been in town for decades so it is known who they are and it is many, many players in general. However the bust out is much more common in the poker community compared to the machine world.
The people who went to this particular dinner with Kessler are longtime poker players, none of whom are broke.

All could afford this small overage/tip, and all were aware that he was paying for the vast majority of the meal with a comp, and was inviting them because he didn't want the full comp to go to waste.

A prior agreement isn't necessary.

A good person would recognize that the player with the comp has picked up almost the entire check, and basic etiquette would involve picking up the small overage and the tip. This is especially true if the "invite" is not a "Let me take you out to dinner out of appreciation" thing, but rather a "I'm being generous with my comp and sharing it with others, otherwise I wouldn't have invited anyone here" thing.