Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Wizard Of Vegas rant!

I don't know, maybe it is ideal. I think we all have ideals. If the ideals all came to fruition in practice, they wouldn't be ideals, they would be the actual state of affairs.

Originally Posted by Mission146 View Post
    Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    It used to be when a girl got pregnant out of wedlock her family sent her out of town to live with a relative to avoid the shame.

Today she signs up for and receives welfare, subsidized housing, food stamps and free medical care.

No shame; just "entitlement."

My my how things have changed, and not at all for the better.
    I'll tell you, I love how the women in this scenario always get shit on for the Government giving them minimal standards of living. Where is the, "Shame," for the guy who impregnated her who then proceeded not to do enough to keep her off of welfare? I thought you traditionalists were all about the man of the family putting bread on the table?
    why??? because women were always the "keeper of the kets" .....they decided if a [penis would enter their vagina. If they said no, as young boys growing up with 2 parents....we were told thats where it ends.

But then the libs started teaching women that they were equal to men......."you have sex drives just like men...you are equal....so satisfy you needs and just use condoms. They were stoped being told that they were the keeper of the keys.....that they were in charge. They were told they were equal to men. Except that men cant get pregnant and women can. So the equality thing was not really working.in that respect.
    Unless all these single moms were raped......they had total control over the situation. Just like the girls in the 50's and 60's had the ability to not spread their legs....so do the modern girls. Except society greats a pregnant teen who tells them they are pregnant with "you go girl....congrats".....rather than....."you are an ill raised pathetic fuckdoll that will undoubtedly unleash a poorly raised child to help destroy our community..your selfish decision will drain resources from a community that doesnt need to help raise a child that you are ill equipped to".

And while mission wrings his hands and bemoans that men arent held to task.....well its always been up to the woman. And the woman decided if a penis enters her vagina. But then the woman was told....you dont need to decide...you are just like men...so go fuck like men. There is no difference......you are woman.....hear you roar. Spread those legs at will. And young girls listened to lib libs andacted like men....threw away the keys to the castle.....and got pregnant by the millions. And those children and the children of those children plague our society. Because those kids for the most part are not growing up to be nurses and pharmacists. And thats what society gets for that "you go girl" attitude. They get a neighborhood full of damaged property, drug dealers and users, and uneducated people raised by a single uneducated parent.

Christ on a cracker, dude.

If my choices were you and a random woman and we are of middle class means, or a single uneducated parent on welfare...I think I would roll the dice and just hope the single uneducated parent on welfare occasionally saw good in people and taught me to try to do the same.

I guess basically what I am trying to say is that I am firmly convinced that any, "Nuclear family," would be automatically worse than living with a single mother if you were in anyway involved. I'm glad you weren't my father, because dude, you're fucked up.

I'm not wringing my hands about anything. I'm saying we have a social safety net. These single mothers get access to it. Quit fucking whining about it. Either that, or go find these guys and tell them to nut up. Personally, I don't really care which one.

But, you look at people who are in a certain situation and you see no potential in those people (or their offspring) whatsoever. Like I said, you're fucked up.

Can you please tell me how old you are? I'm just wondering. I think that I am going to make a pact with myself that if I am 50% as miserable as you are when I hit your age, if my view of the world is so...just...goddamn disturbing and disappointing...I'm going to just blow my brains out of the back of my head. I think death would be better than living as you, if there is any truth in what you say.

I don't mean any of this as an insult. If you're being genuine in everything you say, then I genuinely pity you. I hope you find happiness and contentment somewhere before your time is up. Good luck.

If my choices were you and a random woman and we are of middle class means, or a single uneducated parent on welfare...I think I would roll the dice and just hope the single uneducated parent on welfare occasionally saw good in people and taught me to try to do the same.

I guess basically what I am trying to say is that I am firmly convinced that any, "Nuclear family," would be automatically worse than living with a single mother if you were in anyway involved. I'm glad you weren't my father, because dude, you're fucked up.

I'm not wringing my hands about anything. I'm saying we have a social safety net. These single mothers get access to it. Quit fucking whining about it. Either that, or go find these guys and tell them to nut up. Personally, I don't really care which one.

But, you look at people who are in a certain situation and you see no potential in those people (or their offspring) whatsoever. Like I said, you're fucked up.

Can you please tell me how old you are? I'm just wondering. I think that I am going to make a pact with myself that if I am 50% as miserable as you are when I hit your age, if my view of the world is so...just...goddamn disturbing and disappointing...I'm going to just blow my brains out of the back of my head. I think death would be better than living as you, if there is any truth in what you say.

I don't mean any of this as an insult. If you're being genuine in everything you say, then I genuinely pity you. I hope you find happiness and contentment somewhere before your time is up. Good luck.
    miserable??? no not me. I live in a country club in a town that has no or almost no wild children running around the streets raised by poorly educated poorly raised parents or parent. I made it a point in my life to make and save enough money to make sure my daily life is less effected by society's ills. Iam just at SS age......for early collection so I am living a good life happy with my choices....and happy that my children are educated enough to put themselves in the same position I am in.

All you did above is call me names and critique the messenger...however you did not and could not debate the issue I put forth.

" In the United States today, there are nearly 13.6 million single parents raising over 21 million children. Single fathers are far less common than single mothers, constituting 16% of single-parent families."

thats 21 million children born with one hand tied behind their back as far as being able to excel in the world, Thats a fuck load of damage to our society. Because if you look up the drop out rate of single parented kids.....its pretty high
    "Children in one-parent families also have lower grade point averages, lower college aspirations, and poorer attendance records. ... While 19 percent of all children drop out of high school, the dropout rate for children in two-parent families is 13 percent."

Thats a 45 percent higher drop out rate. And that doesnt address the actual reading level at graduation or their IQ

That one out of 5 of the 21 million single parent kids will drop out of school.....thats 4 milion drop outs unleashed on society. And some of those drop outs.will be pregnant and the beat goes on and on

So all people can do is be like me......put yourself in the position to avoid this shitas much as possible. Pay your taxes and take care of these people.....and live a life void of these people and the people who encourage them.

And people who cant afford to be like me . they have to live with it. With the deterioration of society under their noses. You know..like the dregs of society that air their penis out n public and write about it.....or the uncivilized behavior of making yourself sick in public and then vomiting in public in a trash can in front of people who are eating or about to eat.....Those are the people who dont live near me. Now when i go to reno...i cant avoid them.... but I keep my distance.

Originally Posted by LarryS View Post

miserable??? no not me. I live in a country club in a town that has no or almost no wild children running around the streets raised by poorly educated poorly raised parents or parent. I made it a point in my life to make and save enough money to make sure my daily life is less effected by society's ills. Iam just at SS age......for early collection so I am living a good life happy with my choices....and happy that my children are educated enough to put themselves in the same position I am in.

All you did above is call me names and critique the messenger...however you did not and could not debate the issue I put forth.

" In the United States today, there are nearly 13.6 million single parents raising over 21 million children. Single fathers are far less common than single mothers, constituting 16% of single-parent families."

thats 21 million children born with one hand tied behind their back as far as being able to excel in the world, Thats a fuck load of damage to our society. Because if you look up the drop out rate of single parented kids.....its pretty high
    "Children in one-parent families also have lower grade point averages, lower college aspirations, and poorer attendance records. ... While 19 percent of all children drop out of high school, the dropout rate for children in two-parent families is 13 percent."

Thats a 45 percent higher drop out rate. And that doesnt address the actual reading level at graduation or their IQ

That one out of 5 of the 21 million single parent kids will drop out of school.....thats 4 milion drop outs unleashed on society. And some of those drop outs.will be pregnant and the beat goes on and on

So all people can do is be like me......put yourself in the position to avoid this shitas much as possible. Pay your taxes and take care of these people.....and live a life void of these people and the people who encourage them.

And people who cant afford to be like me . they have to live with it. With the deterioration of society under their noses. You know..like the dregs of society that air their penis out n public and write about it.....or the uncivilized behavior of making yourself sick in public and then vomiting in public in a trash can in front of people who are eating or about to eat.....Those are the people who dont live near me. Now when i go to reno...i cant avoid them.... but I keep my distance.

This entire post should be accepted by, agreed with, and supported by any and all responsible, accountable adults--and especially, those with children and grandchildren.

When someone as needy as Mission comes along and stumps for free this and free that, all because of social failure and flat out laziness and thinking they can get away with it all since they voted for a degenerate "safety net", all that stupid theory just melts in the face of reality.

Go smoke some weed with the weirdos on WoV and see where that'll get you.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Here in stumptown it'll get you high as a kite.

Great dope these days, and the prices IN THE STORES are dropping.

I never dreamed things would be this cool someday.

Some poor schmuck in the deep south can get sentenced to hard time for possessing what I can buy in my local store.

"Go west, young man!"
    What, Me Worry?

Fine...

Okay, so you live in a country club town and you find yourself distraught that single mothers are sometimes given the rudiments needed for basic survival. Why? That's really all that I want to know. How can you possibly have a problem with all of these things if you admit that they do not have any great effect on you?

More importantly, and I think I already said this, it's really about supporting the children.

What am I going to debate? That every single mother in history does not fall under, in your words, "You are an ill raised pathetic fuckdoll that will undoubtedly unleash a poorly raised child to help destroy our community."

Yeah, I don't really need to debate that. It's pretty self-evident that what you just said can't be applied to everyone so situated.

By the way, do you want to get pissed at me some more for making a blonde joke after that one? I can see where you would legitimately find blonde jokes grievously offensive.

First of all, I don't know how you can make assumptions about every single one of them having a hand tied behind their back.

Secondly, just yesterday you told me that the dropout rate, ("Dropout," is one word, by the way) in general, is at an all-time high. It's at an all-time LOW. How the fuck am I supposed to believe what you say about drop out rates? Go find a source for that and bring it back to me.

Is it higher than it is in two parent households? Yeah, probably. I think I would stipulate that. I'm guessing it's still lower than the OVERALL dropout rate as little as 15+ years ago.

Yes, and you seem to think that reducing welfare will somehow solve that problem. I'd also like to see your source, because according to the National Center for Education Statistics, a Government agency by way of the U.S. Department of Education, it's nowhere near that:

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=16

Maybe if you're including people who, "Drop out," and eventually get a GED we can get closer to your number, but nothing is getting you to 19%.

So, if you want to know why I hesitate to debate you, the answer is, "Because actual facts and statistics are irrelevant to you."

I can't debate things that actually exist against things that come from someone's imagination, because you can beat me with your imagination every time. Your imagination can make the dropout rate among single-parent household children 99.3% if your imagination wants to.

Nor does any number you've provided me thus far. I don't think you understand how debate works. Make a claim, back it up. The claim is what is known as a, "Thesis," and the stuff you back it up with is known as, "Supporting evidence."

Not wholly necessary when it comes to subjective determinations such as, "A nuclear family is better." Unfortunately for you, if you're going to be throwing around actual numbers, they need backed up.

Well, good. Shut up and be happy that you have it so well. I'm happy with how well I have it, and I don't even think I have it as well as you do.

You know, comedians come up with new material every couple years or so. I know you're not a comedian, but you might give the new material thing a try.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Here in stumptown it'll get you high as a kite.

Great dope these days, and the prices IN THE STORES are dropping.

I never dreamed things would be this cool someday.

Some poor schmuck in the deep south can get sentenced to hard time for possessing what I can buy in my local store.

"Go west, young man!"
    You'd better be ready to incur LarryS' righteous wrath. You're contributing substantially to the degradation of society, in his view, I imagine.

we are heading to thrid world status

The U.S., which had some of the highest graduation rates of any developed country, now ranks 22nd out of 27 developed countries.

LarryS you have a point with the women should of stayed home in the kitchen and that us Men did not protect our women in the long run and throughout the last 100 years or so in this new country.

Mission146 claims to be a Libertarian or slightly on the Left side of Center but it is clear he is far more on the Left than he knows or believes. He has admitted that he is divorced with two children and that he now has a fiancee and that he would most likely not give up alcohol because he loves it too much... I am paraphrasing this. We know he is a writer. Writers always drink or have problems with alcohol and problems with relationships and have a high chance of suicide. No big deal though... I am in the same or just as bad of a ship that is sinking. We all are but it is more fun to point fingers and blame the other guy for basically the same things we are guilty of ourselves.

we are heading to thrid world status

The U.S., which had some of the highest graduation rates of any developed country, now ranks 22nd out of 27 developed countries.
    LarryS,

I was actually looking back at historical charts of overall graduation rates as compared to other countries, (we're still at or near all-time highs in graduation rates, by the way) so all what you said above tells me is that those other countries have a ton of graduates.

In the meantime, I figured out where you're getting your 19%, "Drop-Out," number from and must come to one of a few conclusions:

A.) You're trolling.
    B.) You intentionally falsely equivocated two different, but semi-related things.
    C.) You legitimately did not understand that the two semi-related things are different.

I stumbled across some numbers that referred to an, "81% four-year graduation rate."

Therefore, I can see where you might say, "Okay, 100-81 = 19, so that means that 19% dropped out."

Of course, that ignores a great many things:

1.) People who would get GED's do not count toward that 81% number, and arguably, aren't true dropouts.

2.) Some people get through traditional high school, they just don't do it within the first four years. That can happen for a wide variety of reasons, but the most common one is not having the required number of credits to graduate after that four years. Failing the wrong class as a senior, in and of itself, can cause that.

In terms of not having attained a high school diploma, or equivalent, by the age of 24, my source says that applies to 5.9% of the population.

I will stipulate that you were using, "Dropout," colloquially and that's there's an outside possibility you made a legitimate mistake citing the 19% as an actual dropout rate.

Anyway, what I would consider, "The real number," is somewhere between 5.9% and 19%, at least in terms of colloquial usage of the term, but I still maintain the, "Real number is at an all-time low." Unfortunately, if we were to agree to terms on what constitutes a dropout, (I would say someone who hits the age of 21 and has neither a H.S. Diploma or GED whether or not enrolled in GED classes.) I don't think we would be able to easily find numbers on it.

Either way, the drop out rate is the lowest it has ever been (or close) and the graduation rate the highest (or close). I'm sorry that those two facts do not satisfy your narrative and fly in the face of your original assertion, that dropout rates are higher, but that's just how it goes sometimes.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    LarryS you have a point with the women should of stayed home in the kitchen and that us Men did not protect our women in the long run and throughout the last 100 years or so in this new country.

Mission146 claims to be a Libertarian or slightly on the Left side of Center but it is clear he is far more on the Left than he knows or believes. He has admitted that he is divorced with two children and that he now has a fiancee and that he would most likely not give up alcohol because he loves it too much... I am paraphrasing this. We know he is a writer. Writers always drink or have problems with alcohol and problems with relationships and have a high chance of suicide. No big deal though... I am in the same or just as bad of a ship that is sinking. We all are but it is more fun to point fingers and blame the other guy for basically the same things we are guilty of ourselves.
    Thanks for the concern. I would quit drinking if I had to for health reasons. I actually did end up quitting smoking and I doubt quitting drinking would be as difficult as that was.

I should like to go by way of suicide, doctor-assisted or otherwise, but not until a good many years from now, obviously. I think that is as high on my list as just dying in my sleep on some random night. The suicide thing is actually slightly better, though (even though it would mean getting diagnosed with something incurable, or very difficult to cure) because then you can have all of your affairs nice and neat and say goodbye to everyone.

The worst way to go would be one in which your loved ones have to watch you suffer and wither away over a prolonged period of time. Not to mention being responsible for you from a personal care (read: wiping your ass and dressing you) standpoint, or alternatively, sticking you in a building with a bunch of other people so situated. I'd just as easily choose not to be a burden when the time comes.

The stock market has done well under Trump, no question about it, but this success has come at the cost of massive deregulation.

Goodbye, EPA.

I guess I'm going to miss having clean air and water; oh well, quid pro quo, I suppose.

Too bad the guy has the ethics of a snake in the grass.
    Last edited by MisterV; 07-27-2018 at 08:03 AM.
    What, Me Worry?

The stock market has done well under Trump, no question about it, but this success has come at the cost of massive deregulation.

Goodbye, EPA.

I guess I'm going to miss having clean air and water; oh well, quid pro quo, I suppose.

Hellos, smokestack industries.

Too bad the guy has the ethics of a snake in the grass.
    I told a friend the word was his new foreman was a class A asshole. His response was "that's what I need right now." It's the same with the presidency. Trump is the asshole we need right now.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

1.) Violent crime is currently about where it was in the early 70's. It peaked around '92 and then started to drop again. It fluctuates from year to year, and I imagine that it has about leveled out, but it's way off of its high point.

2.) Homicide rates were higher in the early 70's than at least 2016. 2016 was around levels comparable to the 60's.

your crime statistics are not truly meaningful because it does not include missing people particularly children and it would have to be assumed that a significant % of them have met with foul play.
    I don't believe statistics on missing people were even kept in the 60s and 70s. If you will allow an anecdote, in 1975, walking distance from my house; 2 sisters, the Lyons sisters ages 10 and 12 disappeared. They were never found. The case has attracted national media attention. Nothing like that had ever been heard of at that time. I was a young adult at the time and it was the first time I had ever heard about anything like that. Now, thousands of incidents similar to this are reported every year. I believe that there are currently a tremendously greater number of missing persons, particularly children then there were in the 60s and 70s.

Here are some statistics from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children:

"In 2017 NCMEC assisted law enforcement and families with more than 27,000 cases of missing children.

Case type:

91 percent endangered runaways.
    5 percent family abductions.
    3 percent critically missing young adults, ages 18 to 20.
    1 percent nonfamily abductions.
    Less than 1 percent lost, injured or otherwise missing children.

Of the nearly 25,000 runaways reported to NCMEC in 2017, one in seven were likely victims of child sex trafficking. Of those, 88 percent were in the care of social services when they went missing."

these statistics do not include adults. there are also a tremendous number of missing adults and it can fairly be assumed that a significant % of them are victims of foul play.

http://www.missingkids.com/keyfacts
    please don't feed the trolls

First of all, I don't know how you can make assumptions about every single one of them having a hand tied behind their back.

really thats what you want to argue..that its not 100 percent. Ok i would argue that it is 100 percent and that some will overcome it. All things being equal a stable 2 parent home is better than a stable one parent home. And then add to that , a single parent home has a greater chance of being unstable. And oh yeah, 80 percent of people in jail are drop outs. Add it all together and they are indeed born with one hand tied behind their backs.

Okay, so you live in a country club town and you find yourself distraught that single mothers are sometimes given the rudiments needed for basic survival. Why?

where did i say I was "distraught" ? I said I am hhappy to live where I live and pay taxes to support these irresponsible people..as long as the govt feeds and houses them and their children far away from me and my community. Thats fine with me. Let the missions of the world deal with the poorly parented masses unleasehed on society...while society pats the baby making machines aon the back and talks about "baby daddies" as if they are pets.......where the more you have the better person you must be.

STop looking at statistics and just open your eyes. In the 60's when I was 10 years old I would get on a bus by myself and go to a neighboring town tosee a movie on saturdays. To a town that later had riots a year or 2 later. Yet it was safe at that time. Today what fucking kid could take a bus by themselves anywhere at 10 years old. The truth is ...they cant. Not if they have decent parents watching them.
    Eton Paetz started a new era and put society on notice that a kid couldnt even walk to a school bus corner.

Compare the carnage in te newspapers today compared to the events of the 60s and 70s and then tell me society has not deteriorated drastically

When Brenda Spencer shot up a school from across the street in her home..it was big news for monts. I think 2 people killed and 6 or more wounded. Now that is weak news. Only 2 killed..what the fuck is that.

Thats where we are today as we read statistics that ell us there is less crime and therefore our children are safer than ever before.....adults are safe than ever before. Does anyone believe that?

Regarding violent crime, it's a bit more complicated than you guys are making it out to be.

Violent crime rose in the US for decades, peaking in 1990.

Then, for reasons which are still not fully clear, it started dropping. It fell for 23 consecutive years, from 1991-2013.

Mind you, crime was still VERY HIGH in the first half of the 90s, but it was indeed decreasing year after year.

The 23-year streak of decreased violent crime spanned several Presidents (of both parties), several economic situations (good, bad, and okay), and several cultural changes over the decades.

The one constant was that violent crime dropped each year.

Then, in 2014, it stopped dropping, and started rising again. And it increased in 2015. And it increased in 2016. And it increased in 2017. Certain large cities such as Chicago, Baltimore, and Las Vegas saw especially big increases.

While the cause of the fall in crime has been hotly contested (some even think the Roe v. Wade decision of 1972 caused it, because unwanted babies were terminated starting 1972, who would have been 18 in 1990), the cause of the crime spike in 2014 seems to be related to the Ferguson police shooting and the after-effects.

Simply put, police are now afraid to do their jobs without being hit with bogus brutality claims, and violent criminals quickly learned this.

Even a guy who did a whole series of studies initially debunking "The Ferguson Effect" later conceded that, yes, it probably played a role in the increase in violent crime.

The problem with statistics here is that they can easily be manipulated.

For example, during the 2016 election season, Hillary's campaign claimed "crime is lower now than 10 years ago", which was true, but very misleading. Why? Because crime DROPPED yearly from 2016-2013, and ROSE sharply from 2013 forward. So, yes, the crime did spike under Obama, and yes, he was likely somewhat at fault for stoking the flames of resentment toward police.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Regarding violent crime, it's a bit more complicated than you guys are making it out to be.

Violent crime rose in the US for decades, peaking in 1990.

Then, for reasons which are still not fully clear, it started dropping. It fell for 23 consecutive years, from 1991-2013.

Mind you, crime was still VERY HIGH in the first half of the 90s, but it was indeed decreasing year after year.

The 23-year streak of decreased violent crime spanned several Presidents (of both parties), several economic situations (good, bad, and okay), and several cultural changes over the decades.

The one constant was that violent crime dropped each year.

Then, in 2014, it stopped dropping, and started rising again. And it increased in 2015. And it increased in 2016. And it increased in 2017. Certain large cities such as Chicago, Baltimore, and Las Vegas saw especially big increases.

While the cause of the fall in crime has been hotly contested (some even think the Roe v. Wade decision of 1972 caused it, because unwanted babies were terminated starting 1972, who would have been 18 in 1990), the cause of the crime spike in 2014 seems to be related to the Ferguson police shooting and the after-effects.

Simply put, police are now afraid to do their jobs without being hit with bogus brutality claims, and violent criminals quickly learned this.

Even a guy who did a whole series of studies initially debunking "The Ferguson Effect" later conceded that, yes, it probably played a role in the increase in violent crime.

The problem with statistics here is that they can easily be manipulated.

For example, during the 2016 election season, Hillary's campaign claimed "crime is lower now than 10 years ago", which was true, but very misleading. Why? Because crime DROPPED yearly from 2016-2013, and ROSE sharply from 2013 forward. So, yes, the crime did spike under Obama, and yes, he was likely somewhat at fault for stoking the flames of resentment toward police.
    I dont doubt the facts and figures...but they dont jive with reality.

I lived in the 60s 70 and 90s.....and no one can tell me its safer for children to walk the streets today in 2018 then it was in the late 90s.

or safer to go to school.

or sager for women to walk though town at night.

Hell Nancy Grace made a whole career around missing kids.....starting with the Holloway girl.....and going on week after week with the new missing child du jour.

I agree with Half smoke....missing children used to be a national story...front page. Now just about every state has their share of missing children from toddlers to teens.

There are more schools now with metal detectors than in the 80s and 90s out of necessity. The technology was available then....but the need wasnt justifying the expense.

police shootings are a dime a dozen these days

mass shootings are the norm that are no longer so shocking.

tories of grandmothers being raped, infants raped, mothers killing their children, parents abusing their children..... Fuck where woud DR Phil be without this deterioration of society.

you can literally in one single day, watch DR phil talking about parents the kept 6 children chained up in a home like animals while they were beaten and starved, and then watch Nancy Grace talk about a 6 year old snatched in a playgound, and then watch the nightly news detail a school shooting and a 2 police killed while they sat in their car..............and that could be viewed as a normal news day. It wouldnt turn heads.

I am not even talking about the chance of terrorists entering our lives. Just the normal crime we see daily detailed on tv. Thats life in 2018,....a school shooting, a kidnapped kid, a parent accuses of monumental abuse, and 2 police killed........and no one here would blink

yet the numbers tell us that we are better off than 1990. Somehow the numbers and reality dont jive. It doesnt pass the eye test. Am I going to believe the numbers or am i going to believe my lying eyes.

Part of me thinks there may be creative book keeping by municipalities to prove to the citizens that the politicians and law enforcement is doing a great job.

LarryS., if the numbers are correct then the obvious explanation is that the media, both news and social, trumpet and display the lurid crime details today, unlike "back in the day."

The same shit was going on, it just wasn't splashed in front of our eyeballs on our big screens and our computers/i phones.

SS, very DD.
    What, Me Worry?

LarryS., if the numbers are correct then the obvious explanation is that the media, both news and social, trumpet and display the lurid crime details today, unlike "back in the day."

The same shit was going on, it just wasn't splashed in front of our eyeballs on our big screens and our computers/i phones.

SS, very DD.
    I dont buy it.
    I used to read newspapers daily back in the day, from front to back.......and cop shootings, school shootings, a family of children chained to each other and starved, missing children....all were front page news no matter where in the country it occured. There was no reason to bury these types of stories.

Eton Paetz was a national story forthe longest time....but today he would be just another child that went missing. back page news if that.

Somehow I cant wrap my mind around that the NYC subways are safer today than in the 90's, that san francisco with all the homeless is safer, san diego with all the homeless is safer, any school in any town in the usa is safer,...I just dont see it.

At least having lived in those days.....outside of my community...I dint feel safer.

Are the big inner city communities safer???

Thread Information