Thread: Insecticide barrier sprays

I tried to look this up but couldnt find the answer. I could find the ingredients but how do these barrier sprays work.

Forinstance in the reno home, I spray around the house spectracide barrier spray, Other companies like raid and ortho make similar types.

And its supposed to work for 6 months,

Now i had some ant hills in the back yard(its all drirt i havent seeded it)....so i sprayed it on the ants, and they just scurry around....definatelty not an instant kill like the small raid ant cans. or regular insect spray which works in an instant.

So what is the mechanism of action for these barrier sprays that work for 6 months....is it like an acid that gets on the insects legs when they walk on it and it burns them over time??? I cant figure it out. It is very liquidy, it doesnt look sticky, but on a microscopic level maybe it is.

any ideas???

i was just wondering if i am wasting my money.

Call in a reputable exterminator: money well spent.

I've used a barrier product, Home Defense, with at best mixed results; so we called in a pro.

Had the exterminator get in the crawlspace and unleash his powerful death potions, as well as in the living area and on the outside of our home.

Not cheap, but it worked.

Buh-bye, ants.
    What, Me Worry?

but did u ever figure out how its supposed to work? Somehow I cant get my mind around how it can work for 6 months....or work at all idf you can soak ants with it and they still scurry around. its even supposed to work through rainy days a s well.

No, I didn't: the exterminator said it was somewhat effective.

But that's better than some Ace Hdwe. brand of weed and grass killer I bought:completely ineffective.

After three applications the weeds were still alive.

In contrast, RoundUp killed em quick.
    What, Me Worry?

Before you wipe out those ants remember that they're the natural enemy of termites.

how did we get on the topic of weed killer. I actually know that weed killer is aborbed through the leaves of the weed, and it needs sunlight to work and it goes to the roots and kills it. I kind of know the science behind it. At east a cursory mechanism of action.

But still not sure how those insecticide barrier sprays work

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    Before you wipe out those ants remember that they're the natural enemy of termites.
    We have a problem around here not with medium or large sized ants, but with very small, tiny ants.

The exterminator calls them "odorous ants."

They seem too wee to be much of a threat to termites.

I've been dealing with a mole infestation also: egad, nature's creatures are running amuck.

LarryS.: to help atone for my hijacking, see: https://www.pestxpert.com.au/blog/pe...w-do-they-work
    What, Me Worry?

Thread Information