Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Shave and a Haircut... Two Bits!

  1. #1
    I was doing some house work and came across one of my straight razors I have had for 7 years or so now. It is a very cheap blade and I paid 15 dollars for it. Someone refurbished it and it is very sharp. Actually about a year or so ago I had it sharpened by Max Sprecher at his house near the Silverton in Las Vegas. He does custom blades that are pretty to look at and cost a pretty penny. I have always wanted to buy one of his that cost around 600 dollars but the truth is those blades are more for show. I believe they will cut like butter but if you get into the practice or hobby you will find you need 7 Razors minimum and you want to switch them daily and keep them honed and sharpened. Like anything else it is kinda tedious. Max told me that my razor will cut exactly the same as his or any expensive straight razor.

    However I had three days of growth and got in the mood. I turned the TV on in the Bedroom and put the 40's Junction Channel on! I pulled out the Strop, Soap and I actually always use this Badger Brush even with the Safety Razors (Mach 3 to some of you). Actually I don't like the Fusions or 5 blade or more Razors. When I use Safety Razors I prefer either the Sensor or the Mach 3.

    I put the water as hot as I can stand it and soaked a towel and squeezed it. I put that on the face for a moment. I did this a couple times. After that I put some oil on the stubble. I filled the Sink with Hot Water. I filled up a mug and put the Brush in to Bloom. After that I lathered up the brush with some Bay Rum Soap and made myself look like that guy during Christmas time in the Red Suit. I am out of practice but I was able to get about 95% of my facial hair with the straight razor. I had to use the Safety Razor for some tight areas and on the chin which is the most difficult since it is hard to get a tight pull.

    Anyways, I figure some of you out there are into straight razor shaving and might want to share a story or two. Perhaps even educate us rubes. Below is a picture of my Straight Razor and Brush.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by monet; 08-31-2018 at 10:43 PM.

  2. #2
    If anyone ever comes near me with a straight razor I will be forced to defend myself. My understanding is a lot of people like to shave with straight razors, though. I don't even like to shave. I'll use the electric beard trimmer once every month, or so, and that's about it.

    That also sounds like a lot of steps compared to, "Pull beard trimmer out, turn beard trimmer on, run beard trimmer all over face."

    I think it's weird how different people are, come to think of it. I HATE the way being clean-shaven feels. It makes my face feel really weird. Like, cold, and I basically never get cold almost regardless of the temperature. (It has to be fewer than ten degrees)

  3. #3
    Originally Posted by Mission146 View Post
    If anyone ever comes near me with a straight razor I will be forced to defend myself. My understanding is a lot of people like to shave with straight razors, though. I don't even like to shave. I'll use the electric beard trimmer once every month, or so, and that's about it.

    That also sounds like a lot of steps compared to, "Pull beard trimmer out, turn beard trimmer on, run beard trimmer all over face."

    I think it's weird how different people are, come to think of it. I HATE the way being clean-shaven feels. It makes my face feel really weird. Like, cold, and I basically never get cold almost regardless of the temperature. (It has to be fewer than ten degrees)

    I have found in life that most of the times the old ways are the best ways. Man has been shaving with a sharp edge for a very long time if they chose to shave. Technically the old way is to let your beard grow and never shave or cut it. This option of pulling out the electric or wireless beard cutter/trimmer is only about 75 years old. We as a people lose something the more we rely on cell phones, calculators, electric razors... etc. etc. These are life choices though. I understand that many people are caught up in the "Rat Race" and have no time to slow down and smell the roses and learn. Gotta keep that money train rolling in which means one has to be all go go go all the time. It is the American Way of Living. Fast Food, Fast Cars and Fast Women. If you get into trouble just have an abortion or sue your neighbor or better yet get a divorce attorney to get you out of marriage if you aren't happy with it. Don't learn how to make a Béarnaise sauce just buy a jar at your local corporate owned grocery chain. My aunt once told me we have to trust them, they care about people. I told her they only care about their bottom line, they don't care about you or me, they only care that we buy what they are selling.



    My comments aren't personally directed towards you or anyone. They are just a blanket statement in general. I am one of these individuals who want to learn and experience everything I can or have the ability for. I don't want to look at Paris on my computer. I want to actually go there and experience it and walk through the streets and museums. I want to learn how to grow my own food and how to hunt and fish. I want to learn how to skin the animal and gut it and also be able to cook it like a gourmet would. I also want to learn how a Mountain Man would cook it.

    My problem is that I am a Jack of all Trades and Master of None. I believe that it is better to be great at one thing than mediocre at a multitude of things. If I could do it over again I would learn one thing and keep practicing and learning it until I was very close to being the best at it. The people who grew up with straight razor shaving can do it just as fast as you can with your electric trimmer or pretty darn close. Just like anything else in life all it takes is time and patience and enough practice. This kid does it in 1 minute! Not a Perfect Shave but pretty darn close! Not counting the prep which only takes 30 seconds if you do it quick... maybe even less time if you really try. Start the video around 2:10 if you just want to see the shave. I can't find this older video where this guy was Russian and he was drinking a pint of whiskey or some alcohol and shaving very fast lol... that was a good video. Honestly though for many people it is something like getting a massage or facial. It can be soothing or relaxing going through a slow process with the steam, shower and straight razor shave. If you go out and get it done it will cost you 10 to 50 dollars but it is a luxury, pampering kind of thing I suppose. Nothing better than going to get a straight razor shave after some long 48 hour session of Gambling.

    Last edited by monet; 09-01-2018 at 07:17 AM.

  4. #4
    It's those kind of opinions and statements that make you an OG and all-around interesting guy, in my opinion. I definitely agree with your point about people not wanting to learn anything, but I think others pick and choose.

    If someone approached me with a straight razor, I'm pretty sure I would attack him out of reflex alone. So, there is absolutely no chance of me paying him to do that. I'm not going to do it myself because my hands are too shaky, not all the time, but they start shaking pretty randomly. Also, arthritis can lock my fingers up at any minute, so I might accidentally kill myself if either of those things happened.

    Anyway, I'm glad you get to do it or have it done if you enjoy it and I am also glad for anybody else. Like I said, aside from all of my other objections, I absolutely can't stand the feeling of being clean shaven.

    More than that, other than always wanting to be clean, I couldn't find a way to give less of a shit about what I look like.
    Last edited by Mission146; 09-01-2018 at 09:02 AM.

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by Mission146 View Post

    More than that, other than always wanting to be clean, I couldn't find a way to give less of a shit about what I look like.
    I guess you don't buy into this...


  6. #6
    My phone has a camera, why would I ever buy a camera?

    In fact, when you talked about one blender being $125-$150 less than another blender in your juice fast thread, I was flabbergasted to discover that a blender should ever cost as much as $125-$150 in total.

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by Mission146 View Post
    My phone has a camera, why would I ever buy a camera?

    In fact, when you talked about one blender being $125-$150 less than another blender in your juice fast thread, I was flabbergasted to discover that a blender should ever cost as much as $125-$150 in total.
    You must be joshing me. It wasn't about the Camera... it was about what was said at the end of the commercial... Image is Everything. Also the beginning where he is standing in front of downtown Las Vegas and the announcer says: What is the Image of a Rebel? Obviously I was going for the image points in the 30 second spot because you said you don't care what the F you look like. The truth is you might not care what you look like but many others around you do care and that first impression is kinda a big thing when you speak of statistics or math and we all know your a big math guy. It is pretty common though for APs or Gamblers in general not to care about what they look like or how they dress or eat. No biggy, I have been in that boat plenty myself.

    The blenders are 300 to 750 and up... not 125 dollars lol!

    You and others don't understand this blender thing because you don't get into daily blending 2 or 3 times a day. Where is Maxpen... he has some knowledge on this subject and actually owns a Vitamix so his opinion would be of great value to me!? I don't think you understand what these blenders can do and if one wants to get away from dairy how they can make milk out of Almonds and Soy Beans and Cashews. You can use that milk to cook with to make cream sauces and creamy soup or other things. They also chew through greens with a 64 ounce Jar unlike my 25 dollar blender can not do. Not to mention the ice cream you can make with just frozen fruit. My Norwalk Juicer can make the same Ice Cream actually and you would be surprised how frozen bananas only, taste just like Ice Cream. Now we are talking Real Banana Ice Cream when all that is in it is Frozen Bananas. Add in some strawberries and other frozen fruits and it is pretty amazing without the fat content. These are healthy alternatives to living. Not that you will live longer but you will have a higher percentage of living longer. That isn't the point either, the point is you will feel better so your quality of living will be better. I literally can not sleep past the 6 hour mark per day now because my body isn't bogged down with heavy food and junk food. As my metabolism increases I will only be able to sleep 4 hours a day. I know because I have done it before. These blenders also come with 7-10 year warranties. Now it can be difficult to get through to the companies at times but the point is when something breaks they will pay for both way shipping and replacement. So you are most likely paying the high price up front for the warranty. If you were going to get into serious blending my 25 dollar blender wouldn't make it more than a couple of months. So you would have to keep buying them over and over. Not only that but they don't blend to the same consistency. I know that you and others don't get it because you just think like F it... I'll just grab some Wendy's or whatever lol.

    I bought two Used Norwalk Juicers that cost me 1800 total. Now one Norwalk is 2600 dollars brand new. You would think that a 40 dollar juicer from Wal Mart will get the job done and in some respects it will. The Juice won't have as much nutrition and it will separate immediately because of the force and speed that it uses. Also the Norwalk and PURE Juicers are all stainless steel. Now someone who is mechanically inclined can build their own for a couple hundos but I don't have that ability. I do have plenty of Cash Resources so for me to just throw money at it isn't a big deal. Now if you buy your juice from a juice bar daily and try to drink half a gallon or more and do the math on the cost you will find even the 2600 dollar juicer will pay for itself many times over if you USE it daily and maybe even multiple times daily. This Norwalk also does nut butters and grinds coffee. However they sold me on the no Plastic parts. At that time I was on a huge no Plastic Kick lol. Also it is an American Owned and Operated Company which is kinda a big deal to some of us. However, I am sure they cut corners as well like everyone else buying cheaper foreign products to cut costs. I am pretty sure that China has the largest supply of scrap metal and that is where we get that Steel From anyways.

    Either way this is all individual choices. My main reason for posting about the Juice Fast and the Shaving is to help others learn from my past mistakes and to educate some of that garbage over on the WoV Health threads. I also post it for something like a diary for me personally so I can track it. As I have said before, if you have a partner it makes it easier. I don't have a partner that wants to do what I am doing so you all are my guinea pigs. It helps me do it easier if I am being scrutinized over it and over the statistics of it.
    '
    Last edited by monet; 09-01-2018 at 09:44 AM.

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by monet View Post

    You must be joshing me. It wasn't about the Camera... it was about what was said at the end of the commercial... Image is Everything. Also the beginning where he is standing in front of downtown Las Vegas and the announcer says: What is the Image of a Rebel? Obviously I was going for the image points in the 30 second spot because you said you don't care what the F you look like. The truth is you might not care what you look like but many others around you do care and that first impression is kinda a big thing when you speak of statistics or math and we all know your a big math guy. It is pretty common though for APs or Gamblers in general not to care about what they look like or how they dress or eat. No biggy, I have been in that boat plenty myself.
    I was actually joshing you on that one, but no way I ever spend more than $0.00 for a camera, unless I think that I can sell it for more than I am paying for it. By the way, what made you think of that commercial? Andre Agassi's early-90s, "Image," kind of makes me want to wash my hands, or something.

    I also agree that many others care about what people look like, but they can pretty much all go fuck themselves, as far as I'm concerned. I should be better about my diet, for sure, but not a chance in hell I ever care about how I dress. I don't know, maybe it's because I've never had an issue with getting laid. I can't think of an underlying reason. Probably laziness.

    You and others don't understand this blender thing because you don't get into daily blending 2 or 3 times a day. Where is Maxpen... he has some knowledge on this subject and actually owns a Vitamix so his opinion would be of great value to me!? I don't think you understand what these blenders can do and if one wants to get away from dairy how they can make milk out of Almonds and Soy Beans and Cashews. You can use that milk to cook with to make cream sauces and creamy soup or other things. They also chew threw greens with a 64 ounce Jar unlike my 25 dollar blender can not do. Not to mention the ice cream you can make with just frozen fruit. My Norwalk Juicer can make the same Ice Cream actually and you would be surprised how frozen bananas only, taste just like Ice Cream. Now we are talking Real Banana Ice Cream when all that is in it is Frozen Bananas. Add in some strawberries and other frozen fruits and it is pretty amazing without the fat content. These are healthy alternatives to living. Not that you will live longer but you will have a higher percentage of living longer. That isn't the point either, the point is you will feel better so your quality of living will be better. I literally can not sleep past the 6 hour mark per day now because my body isn't bogged down with heavy food and junk food. As my metabolism increases I will only be able to sleep 4 hours a day. I know because I have done it before. These blenders also come with 7-10 year warranties. Now it can be difficult to get through to the companies at times but the point is when something breaks they will pay for both way shipping and replacement. So you are most likely paying the high price up front for the warranty. If you were going to get into serious blending my 25 dollar blender wouldn't make it more than a couple of months. So you would have to keep buying them over and over. Not only that but they don't blend to the same consistency. I know that you and others don't get it because you just think like F it... I'll just grab some Wendy's or whatever lol.
    I take your word for everything you just said if you are inclined to do blending two-three times a day, and certainly that could be important if you're going to do a juice fasting diet. For that reason, I will never do a juice-fasting diet. I couldn't find a coffeemaker for under twenty bucks a few months ago and I couldn't have found a way to be more pissed off. No way in hell I ever pay $300-$750 for any small home appliance. In fact, I don't know that I've ever paid more than the high end of that range for a large home appliance.

    Warranties are a rip off for most people, but I could see where it would have value to the degree that you're using the product. For most people, it's just an unjustified cost increase on a product that has a fundamentally low failure rate for the number of times they are actually going to use it. Like a ten-year warranty on a blender. I wouldn't know whether to be more pissed off about paying $500 for the blender or the fact that it broke in fewer than the fifty total times I might use it in ten years. I expect a $20 coffeemaker to last at least two years, and I use the damn thing twice a day.

    As far as, "Healthy alternatives to living," I really don't consider living longer to be a worthy goal. It's not like I'm immortal and can live forever. I quite hope to be dead by the time I'm about sixty. To that extent, I'm already just past middle-aged. It's not like if there is anything worth doing I won't have already done it.

    It's kind of like you said about, what was it, Paris? I think it's more likely than not that I would get to Paris and say, "The fuck did I want to come here for?" Everything is really just a lot less than you thought it was going to be by the time you actually do it, at least, until you do enough stuff and eventually just stop having expectations for anything.

    I like Wendy's as much as the next guy, but I'm also actually quite a skilled cook, believe it or not.

    Either way this is all individual choices. My main reason for posting about the Juice Fast and the Shaving is to help others learn from my past mistakes and to educate some of that garbage over on the WoV Health threads. I also post it for something like a diary for me personally so I can track it. As I have said before, if you have a partner it makes it easier. I don't have a partner that wants to do what I am doing so you all are my guinea pigs. It helps me do it easier if I am being scrutinized over it and over the statistics of it.
    '
    Sounds good, I don't know what's going on over there with those threads as I don't know whether or not I've ever even looked at them.

    I guess I work in a totally different way than you do. That's why I didn't say anything about quitting smoking this time around until I felt that I was, "Out of the woods," the more people talk to me the less I want to do something. If a lot of people are encouraging me, then it makes me not want to do something at all. The only chance I really have if I'm going to involve other people is them telling me I can't do it, so then I try to prove them wrong, but really, my best bet is just not to mention it to anyone. If I ever do try your juice fast, you won't know about it until well-after I've already done it, I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Mission146; 09-01-2018 at 10:12 AM.

  9. #9
    I don't mind failing or losing. Most people are going to lose and fail far more in life than win or succeed.
    Losing or Failing is like getting pruned in my opinion. It will either kill you or make you stronger.
    I said that it isn't about living longer... it is about quality of life.
    It is about feeling better daily without pains or problems.
    It also is about having serious energy to have a more active life.
    I think your mindset is the problem with the enjoyment of things or disappointment you feel after getting to Paris and being let down.
    Most people don't have the time or plan it out right. For something like that I would have to be there for a Month at Minimum.
    If I got bored with Paris I would buy one of those monthly train tickets and tour Europe and if I did that it would be 3 Months minimum.
    You can't expect to do something like that for one week or five days and really enjoy it or experience it.
    No offense because I have been in your mindset and you just need to get your mind right.
    That will come eventually if it does but you have to want or desire that.
    You have kids and a family... your priorities are completely different.
    I have talked about the gun to the head as well. I see it as my end most likely if possible.
    However, what we are going for here is Quality of Life, not Quantity!
    I come from the mindset that death is predetermined anyways. When your number is called, you can't get out of it.
    Of course King Hezekiah got an extra 15 years but I still think that was predetermined as well.

    About Andre Agassi... I didn't think of him.
    You said you don't care what you look like which has to do with image.
    I have said before I have a type of photographic memory.
    When you make that comment, my brain automatically brings up that spot because it has been imprinted.
    Just like Nike has imprinted the "Just Do It" or "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better" statements.
    I am a bit odd like this in conversation. Movies, Books, Advertisements and whatever else has been stored just pops up out of my mouth.

    You are also a guy who can eat 100 nuggets in an hour so I am pretty sure you can do whatever you put your mind to.
    Last edited by monet; 09-01-2018 at 10:28 AM.

  10. #10
    I basically quit smoking because of quality of life, so I understand what you're saying there. Eventually, it got to the point where I was waking up with five-six coughing fits per night, every single night, despite being a light-moderate smoker. I don't cough at all, now. If not for attempting to sleep being such a miserable process, there's no way that I would have quit.

    My thing about spending an entire month in Paris is that I really don't expect it to be too much different than here, Vegas, where you are or anywhere else. You're just going to be surrounded by shitty people with shitty attitudes who are shitty to one another no matter where you go. There's no getting away from it other than death or virtual isolation. The problem with isolation is that you lose all the creature comforts, that, and a number of other factors that make it not really feasible.

    I don't think it would be a gun, if avoidable. What I would really like to do when I'm about sixty is get ahold of a lethal dose of pentobarbital and drift slowly off to sleep knowing it will be for the last time. I really think having that ten minutes to fully appreciate that it's over is a worthy goal. It makes it all that much better if you're a person who believes that there is nothing after this, so it is completely, totally and irrevocably over. It's just a shame that you have to be terminally ill to get it as it stands now, hopefully they'll change that and you can just kill yourself whenever you feel like it.

    It's all good on the conversational aspect, lots of people converse in a referential way.

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    I have found in life that most of the times the old ways are the best ways.
    Bingo. You can get a baking soda toothpaste at the 99 Cent Only store (for around 99 cents - it's not one of their two dollar plus products), which will kill the stuff that needs to get killed in your mouth. Yet now there are all these tooth pastes from Crest and others with all sorts of shit in them and they're a few bucks a tube. The marketeers really do manufacture new needs we really didn't know we had LOL.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Getting a haircut in Vegas
    By Alan Mendelson in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-04-2016, 04:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •