Thread: Shave and a Haircut... Two Bits!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I was doing some house work and came across one of my straight razors I have had for 7 years or so now. It is a very cheap blade and I paid 15 dollars for it. Someone refurbished it and it is very sharp. Actually about a year or so ago I had it sharpened by Max Sprecher at his house near the Silverton in Las Vegas. He does custom blades that are pretty to look at and cost a pretty penny. I have always wanted to buy one of his that cost around 600 dollars but the truth is those blades are more for show. I believe they will cut like butter but if you get into the practice or hobby you will find you need 7 Razors minimum and you want to switch them daily and keep them honed and sharpened. Like anything else it is kinda tedious. Max told me that my razor will cut exactly the same as his or any expensive straight razor.

However I had three days of growth and got in the mood. I turned the TV on in the Bedroom and put the 40's Junction Channel on! I pulled out the Strop, Soap and I actually always use this Badger Brush even with the Safety Razors (Mach 3 to some of you). Actually I don't like the Fusions or 5 blade or more Razors. When I use Safety Razors I prefer either the Sensor or the Mach 3.

I put the water as hot as I can stand it and soaked a towel and squeezed it. I put that on the face for a moment. I did this a couple times. After that I put some oil on the stubble. I filled the Sink with Hot Water. I filled up a mug and put the Brush in to Bloom. After that I lathered up the brush with some Bay Rum Soap and made myself look like that guy during Christmas time in the Red Suit. I am out of practice but I was able to get about 95% of my facial hair with the straight razor. I had to use the Safety Razor for some tight areas and on the chin which is the most difficult since it is hard to get a tight pull.

Anyways, I figure some of you out there are into straight razor shaving and might want to share a story or two. Perhaps even educate us rubes. Below is a picture of my Straight Razor and Brush.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by monet; 08-31-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Thread Information