Thread: Interesting meeting today regarding ZK’s and his life decisions.

So this isn’t, but could be considered a troll thread, in my world.

I’m in the USVI for a few days because it’s one of few places an American can go from the US mainland without a Covid test or the need to wear a mask. Anyways if anyone wants pictures I can gladly post them.

Anyone who has visited can attest to the crazy taxi system there that drives up and down the mountains. Cheaper than a Disney ride but certainly more risky.

So I meet a guy and his wife, both well dressed young people who we struck up a conversation with. He’s here living his life based on his earnings from video game tournaments. Which is crazy to me growing up on Atari and Nintendo.

We started talking about when we came from and he brought up a tournament he won for $20,000 in Johnstown PA, which is in the middle of nowhere in PA. Says he makes over $150,000 a year playing video games. Not sure KJ or many other AP’s can claim that.

Totally new world to me but immediately I thought of ZenKing. He claims to have come in 2nd in a World Class tournament years ago. Which I have no reason to doubt, but I wonder why he didn’t stick with it?

He obviously had a talent few possessed. Maybe it’s a lesson to stick with what we are good at. Who knows?

Either way, unless the guy was full of shit, it shows there is money in Video games for the best players. I wonder if ZK was one of them or full of excuses like he is with BJ?

Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    So this isn’t, but could be considered a troll thread, in my world.

I’m in the USVI for a few days because it’s one of few places an American can go from the US mainland without a Covid test or the need to wear a mask. Anyways if anyone wants pictures I can gladly post them.

Anyone who has visited can attest to the crazy taxi system there that drives up and down the mountains. Cheaper than a Disney ride but certainly more risky.

So I meet a guy and his wife, both well dressed young people who we struck up a conversation with. He’s here living his life based on his earnings from video game tournaments. Which is crazy to me growing up on Atari and Nintendo.

We started talking about when we came from and he brought up a tournament he won for $20,000 in Johnstown PA, which is in the middle of nowhere in PA. Says he makes over $150,000 a year playing video games. Not sure KJ or many other AP’s can claim that.

Totally new world to me but immediately I thought of ZenKing. He claims to have come in 2nd in a World Class tournament years ago. Which I have no reason to doubt, but I wonder why he didn’t stick with it?

He obviously had a talent few possessed. Maybe it’s a lesson to stick with what we are good at. Who knows?

Either way, unless the guy was full of shit, it shows there is money in Video games for the best players. I wonder if ZK was one of them or full of excuses like he is with BJ?

Boz, I don't know much about this stuff, but ETSU made their video gaming club an official sport club a couple of years ago, and it's a big deal. One of my prof friends here at ETSU has a friend whose son was offered some six digit annual contract to compete in those video games tournaments. I think he was supposed to move to LV, as LV is considered on the cutting edge with a lot of pros.

If anybody knows about this stuff, please share. All I know is that the video gamers at ETSU are treated with serious respect when it comes to use of facilities and lounges to practice.

It is a little weird -- you would think ETSU would be known for its men's hoops, but it's actually a powerhouse in tennis, golf, and up and coming in video gaming.

Absolutely RED, it’s a different world to us. But I’m not naive enough to not see the potential there is in the video game world. I would assume the money is in selling the new games to the masses and getting them to think they could be the next star playing them.

It’s a different world than the one we grew up in and yea, I’m glad I’m semi old. Other than what is going on with the markets and my future earnings. But I blame that on YOU and your liberal friends who voted for this senile fuck.

But it wouldn’t be me if I didn’t blame you liberal bastards! Either way, I’m thinking I’ll be ok based on the life choices I made.

Also a bit after my time.

As I understand it there's a very rapid aging out (or is it burning out?) cycle for video game pros and they seldom do it for more than a few years. IDK.

Originally Posted by smurgerburger View Post

As I understand it there's a very rapid aging out (or is it burning out?) cycle for video game pros and they seldom do it for more than a few years. IDK.
    Possibly (probably) correct. But this guy was staying at a resort above what I would pay for. Of course he could be burned out and broke in a year, but I wonder why?

That goes to the basis of the video game industry. Is it luck when anyone wins? Or if the lifespan of the guys on these games short, and if so, what changes? In the AP community the players adapt.

I have no clue but it’s interesting if it’s luck or there is a skill to it. Only one guy here can provide an educational opinion.

Absolutely RED, it’s a different world to us. But I’m not naive enough to not see the potential there is in the video game world. I would assume the money is in selling the new games to the masses and getting them to think they could be the next star playing them.

It’s a different world than the one we grew up in and yea, I’m glad I’m semi old. Other than what is going on with the markets and my future earnings. But I blame that on YOU and your liberal friends who voted for this senile fuck.

But it wouldn’t be me if I didn’t blame you liberal bastards! Either way, I’m thinking I’ll be ok based on the life choices I made.
    LOL -- sorry, man. I didn't vote for Weekend at Biden's. My presidential voting pattern pretty much matches Joe Rogan's. In fact, next election I may vote FOR Joe Rogan.

Originally Posted by smurgerburger View Post

Possibly (probably) correct. But this guy was staying at a resort above what I would pay for. Of course he could be burned out and broke in a year, but I wonder why?

That goes to the basis of the video game industry. Is it luck when anyone wins? Or if the lifespan of the guys on these games short, and if so, what changes? In the AP community the players adapt.

I have no clue but it’s interesting if it’s luck or there is a skill to it. Only one guy here can provide an educational opinion.
    My understanding is that it's not just burnout -- it's that the original savants played certain games for a certain number of years against a limited size population of players. As time passes, the players have started younger, played more hours, and there are simply more players playing against a huge population that grows. So the old savants rapidly age out against the younger, better, more battle-tested savants.

Cool story but doesn’t mean it’s true. He probably just doesn’t want a rat bastard to know what he’s really doing to make that money.

And before I forget, I suppose this must be in the Las Vegas subforum because Zenking lives there. Fucking people will put anything in the Las Vegas subforum, huh.
    Last edited by mcap; 05-10-2022 at 05:02 PM.

"More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Or if the lifespan of the guys on these games short, and if so, what changes?
    My guess is that even a minute drop off in hand-eye coordination is enough given the size and level of competition (the smallest needle-head of any sport for the angels to dance on). Yes more speculation ;-).

Thread Information