Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: The Singer Five

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Originally Posted by quahaug View Post
    I wouldn't charge a friend for making wagers for them. I might however take a small piece of the winnings. Here in Rhode Island we just legalized sports betting so if anyone wants to place a bet...
    He didn't charge me. I offered the fee up front. Just like when I graced Gaming Today with my column for nearly 8 years. They wanted to pay me more than what they paid Dancer and that loser Skip Hughes combined. I demanded I do it for free.
    I have some respect for a man who knows what he is worth. Although, you overestimated your value.

Here's the scoop max. Any professional gambler who wants or needs to be paid for anything else related to gambling, is an out-and-out fraud and liar. That's also why I gave away all book profits to family, charity, and friends.

This is why you keep seeing a phony twit like kew keep evoking Wong as some sort of gambling authority who would back up his ridiculous claims and assertions. All Wong is is a gaming business profit who're, just like Frank Scoblete, Jean Scott, Anthony Curtis, Bob Dancer, Dan Paymar, and that late fool Skippy Hughes. If these people had any clue how to play their games to win, there'd be no need to go after other people's money in the process. Just gamble more.

Here's the scoop max. Any professional gambler who wants or needs to be paid for anything else related to gambling, is an out-and-out fraud and liar. That's also why I gave away all book profits to family, charity, and friends.

This is why you keep seeing a phony twit like kew keep evoking Wong as some sort of gambling authority who would back up his ridiculous claims and assertions. All Wong is is a gaming business profit who're, just like Frank Scoblete, Jean Scott, Anthony Curtis, Bob Dancer, Dan Paymar, and that late fool Skippy Hughes. If these people had any clue how to play their games to win, there'd be no need to go after other people's money in the process. Just gamble more.
    I agree, one should donate all their soft profits. No one needs that faux stuff anyway.

Interesting post. The question when did winning stop being enough?

Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    The question when did winning stop being enough?
    Once you have 18 wins in a row, you've arrived.
    What, Me Worry?

When someone wants to publicly be seen as credible based on boasts about their gaming prowess.

When someone wants to publicly be seen as credible based on boasts about their gaming prowess.
    Well then what's your excuse? You have ZERO credibility!

Good point. That kind of stuff has a way of catching up to a person. Too many "shots at the buzzer" can humble a person over time.

The idea of writing a book doesn't cross my mind. But ask an "expert"? They tell you to read more books. lol

I'm sure I could go to the sports book at Red Rock and collect lots of losing tickets.

Really, is that what you want to see?

This bunch gets more ludicrous every day.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    I'm sure I could go to the sports book at Red Rock and collect lots of losing tickets.

Yet another futile attempt, not well thought out, to try and make a point.

Good point. That kind of stuff has a way of catching up to a person. Too many "shots at the buzzer" can humble a person over time.

The idea of writing a book doesn't cross my mind. But ask an "expert"? They tell you to read more books. lol
    Moses, in case you don't know, Rob Singer published a book called The Undeniable Truth About Video Poker. In it he "publicly boasts about his gaming prowess." In all the goofball stuff he writes about others he is really just projecting off himself.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Since there are few sports bettors on this forum, let me explain briefly how "selling picks" would be considered an advantage play, and how Argentino isn't grasping the concept.

If one is a legitimate honest handicapper, charging for selections flips the odds. If handicappers charge for selections only if they win, the additional income from winning plays can negate the juice or even make it possible for a marginally losing handicapper to turn a profit. So someone who, for example, wins 55% of plays over a hundred-play season, will make more money if he has people "buying picks" during the season. His bankroll grows. This is a perfectly legitimate way to make a living as the people buying the selections win, the handicapper garners additional income, and the added bankroll enables him to wager more on future plays.

"Just gamble more" is what a degenerate would say. If a formal bankroll system is used, then deviating from that to "just gamble more" is a mistake. The "just gamble more" can refer to betting more per play, which increases risk of ruin, or it can mean betting on more games or additional sports, which means stepping outside one's strength. I have seen very good handicappers financially collapse, and usually the latter is the problem.

Charging for winning selections flips the odds. If the handicapper wins, the buyers win. Not a moral conundrum. Does everyone see the simplicity in this?

Now, having said all that, I stopped "selling picks" a long, long time ago. I work differently. So this is not some defense of what I myself do. It's just an explanation of why and how winning handicappers can amp up the odds in their favor by "selling picks." It becomes an advantage play of the most basic kind.

A gambler's gambling bankroll grows by winning. How does one win more? By BETTING more. People who claim to be professional gamblers only sell things to earn the money they are unable to earn via their gambling, which is totally disingenuous. And it is 100% inappropriate for any sports betting self-described savant--of whom we've seen quite a few over the years--to claim to be special but at the same time trying to sell their picks. That gobbledegook explanation justifying the sleazy practice was just what you meant it to be: strange.

The same goes for the rest of that shameless crowd I mentioned. No one with a brain believes they've ever won anything. They remain in the selling end of the business because they have never been able to walk the walk on the gambling end.

A gambler's gambling bankroll grows by winning. How does one win more? By BETTING more. People who claim to be professional gamblers only sell things to earn the money they are unable to earn via their gambling, which is totally disingenuous. And it is 100% inappropriate for any sports betting self-described savant--of whom we've seen quite a few over the years--to claim to be special but at the same time trying to sell their picks. That gobbledegook explanation justifying the sleazy practice was just what you meant it to be: strange.

The same goes for the rest of that shameless crowd I mentioned. No one with a brain believes they've ever won anything. They remain in the selling end of the business because they have never been able to walk the walk on the gambling end.
    I think you are right about most commercial handicappers but not all.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    "Just gamble more" is what a degenerate would say. .
    lol Good point.

Isn't that sort of like the "long run." Research and game selection are vital. Otherwise it's a long run off a short bridge. No? I lost on the Bears this weekend. 3-1 on the year but that is the game I'll remember. I've never got used to or liked that losing feeling. Personally, I think that is a good thing.

Point is, I'd rather have the win than a book.
    Last edited by Moses; 12-04-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post

Aw. Crud! A member of another of my forums crossed the lines and started a fight with s member on another forum and now it's a civil war. Well, I need to stay offline for a while, anywho!

A lot of proclamations that don't at all address what I explained. Handicappers flip the odds in their favor. It's the same as playing a positive EV video poker game. I'm not surprised you don't grasp that.

LOL. You'll have a hard time denigrating me. I work on a percent of profit, and everybody gets the same plays. Once every six to seven years, I make nothing. In fact, obviously, I lose money. Find fault with that -- good luck.

Handicappers flip the odds in their favor. It's the same as playing a positive EV video poker game.
    Although, I agree that the two ventures are similar, they are hardly the same.

"Just gamble more" is what a degenerate would say. .
    lol Good point.

Isn't that sort of like the "long run." Research and game selection are vital. Otherwise it's a long run off a short bridge. No? I lost on the Bears this weekend. 3-1 on the year but that is the game I'll remember. I've never got used to or liked that losing feeling. Personally, I think that is a good thing.

Point is, I'd rather have the win than a book.
    "Just gamble more" IS what a degenerate would say, but it has nothing to do with what's being said here. "Just gamble more" is what these "professionals" should/would be doing if their so-called picks were worth much of anything....instead of selling them for money. Makes for something called credibility.

A lot of proclamations that don't at all address what I explained. Handicappers flip the odds in their favor. It's the same as playing a positive EV video poker game. I'm not surprised you don't grasp that.

LOL. You'll have a hard time denigrating me. I work on a percent of profit, and everybody gets the same plays. Once every six to seven years, I make nothing. In fact, obviously, I lose money. Find fault with that -- good luck.
    I'm not denigrating what you do specifically. The whole sports handicapping industry does it.

I don't get how handicappers flip odds. The only people who move lines are large bettors.

Thread Information