Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4AwK or Royal?

What's more difficult to get, a royal flush or four aces with a kicker?

There are four royals: 20 cards
    There are four aces, plus 12 kickers: 16 cards

With the royals there are four sets of absolute cards
    There are only four aces
    Last edited by Alan Mendelson; 11-30-2018 at 05:02 AM.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    What's more difficult to get, a royal flush or four aces with a kicker?

There are four royals: 20 cards
    There are four aces, plus 12 kickers: 16 cards

With the royals there are four sets of absolute cards
    There are only four aces
    It's not even close.

About 40k hands for a RF vs about 16k hands for 4 aces with a kicker. Exact number of hands will depend on the game and strategy you are using.

If you went for aces with a kicker only you could probably shave off 4k hands.
    Last edited by AxelWolf; 11-30-2018 at 06:04 AM.

Alan, how can you not know this after playing VP for decades?

Originally Posted by Dankyone View Post
    It's a thought that crossed my mind, that's all. There are 20 cards that give you the four royals, but only 16 cards that give you quad aces with a kicker. So, I asked the question.

Originally Posted by Dankyone View Post
    It's a thought that crossed my mind, that's all. There are 20 cards that give you the four royals, but only 16 cards that give you quad aces with a kicker. So, I asked the question.
    Alan, there are 4 possible royal flushes - one for each suit.
    There are 12 possible AWAKs = four 2s + four 3s+ four 4s.
    Hopefully, based on this, you now have an answer to your question.

Actually there aren't 12 possible Aces w a kicker.

There is only one hand with four aces. There are 12 kickers.

The way to look at the problem is this:

When dealt four to the royal you have a 1/47 chance.
    When dealt four aces you have 12/47 chances.
    When dealt 3 Aces with a kicker you have 1/47 chance which is the problem in Triple Double Bonus.

There are twelve distinguishable hands that contain 4 aces and a kicker. I am not going to enumerate these. If you re-read my previous post, you will see that I am referring to to the AWAK on the paytable, not the quad aces pay line.

The way to look at the problem is this:

When dealt four to the royal you have a 1/47 chance.
    When dealt four aces you have 12/47 chances.
    When dealt 3 Aces with a kicker you have 1/47 chance which is the problem in Triple Double Bonus.
    If you think this is a problem, then you should play Royal Aces Bonus poker. Quad Aces pays 4000 coins with 5 coins in - no kicker required.

Royal Aces Bonus is my favorite game. Can't find it anywhere but for the two machines at Rincon.

A pet peeve of mine is the SF. There's 36 of them, and some years I get more royals than SF's. And in the years I see more SF's it's no where near 9:1 in favor of the SF. Plus, they should pay more than 250 in every game.

Let the insults begin!

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    A pet peeve of mine is the SF. There's 36 of them, and some years I get more royals than SF's.!
    That's what happens when you only play a few hundred hands per year.

Axel, can you say without reservation that you actually get nine times the number of SF's as you do royals? Not in theory, but actually. I never have. Not even close.

A pet peeve of mine is the SF. There's 36 of them, and some years I get more royals than SF's. And in the years I see more SF's it's no where near 9:1 in favor of the SF. Plus, they should pay more than 250 in every game. Let the insults begin!
    Well, you leave me no choice but to insult your intelligence. This is a big tell on your knowledge of video poker. In the Jacks or Better games the odds of a SF are around 9,000. The odds of a royal are around 40,000. You make a SF about 4.5 times as often as a royal, not 9 times as you have written above. Thanks for showing how ignorant and uninformed you are on the subject.

You hew hawed your way into this one.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Axel, can you say without reservation that you actually get nine times the number of SF's as you do royals? Not in theory, but actually. I never have. Not even close.
    In theory? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Actually? LOLOLOLOL!!!!!
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Still LMFAO!! Supposed to make SF's nine times more than royals? HAHAHAHA!!! That's some funny shit, Robbie. World's greatest video poker player? HAHAHAHA!!! World's biggest gambling quack is more like it. Quack! Quack! Quack! Damn, that's funny. And you wonder why everybody laughs at you? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

What's even more odd is that supposedly Rob doesn't go for 3-card SF draws. Idk what % of SFs come from 3-card draws, but it's gotta be pretty high up there.
    #FreeTyde

A pet peeve of mine is the SF. There's 36 of them, and some years I get more royals than SF's. And in the years I see more SF's it's no where near 9:1 in favor of the SF. Plus, they should pay more than 250 in every game.

Let the insults begin!
    That's because you dont always hold 3 to a SF or even 2 to a SF... 4 5 suited for example but hold lots of QJ suited. You also dont hold a 9 on its own but hold a Q on own...

You just spelled it out...

4 aces with...

2c
    2d
    2h
    2s
    3c
    3d
    3h
    3s
    4c
    4d
    4h
    4s

Each of those is an individual hand making 12 possible 4oak...

Now, playing double double aces and faces you will see more 4awk since you will hold more ACE and pictures... where is regular DDB you hold A and a suited face card and kill your chances of 4awk

I like DD aces and faces.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information