Thread: 10 years ago today (12/17/08): The second snowiest day in Las Vegas history

December, 2008 was a weird month in Las Vegas. Every day was unusually cold and windy. I felt like I was living in a place like New York. Many of the highs were around 34 degrees that month, and this cold spell lasted for weeks.

On December 14, I had the TV on. The news came on, and when the weather segment started, I paid close attention to see if the cold spell was finally going to end.

Instead, they showed a storm approaching from the distance, with the warning, "Looks like we're going to get some rain on Wednesday."

The high was still forecast in the 30s. I thought to myself, "Rain? It's going to be a high in the 30s. Why aren't they talking about snow?"

The next few days, I was playing at Bellagio during the Five Diamond series (I was playing cash, though), and trying to convince people that measurable snow was coming to Vegas.

Everyone treated me like I was crazy.

"We don't get measurable snow, only flurries", said one.

"I don't believe it. I heard nothing about this on the news, and if this was coming, they'd be making a big deal about it," said another.

"I've heard people talking about snow in the past, but it always ends up being a dusting at most," said yet another.

Not a single person believed me when I told them that I thought we would get a real snowstorm dumping several inches.

I actually was talked into doubting my own assessment. Wednesday came, and I didn't even think about the snow prediction anymore.

At 4pm, I went to the DMV to get a new license. As I walked out of my car, I noticed light snow starting to fall, but I had seen snow like that in Vegas before.

At 4:45pm, I came out to find snow on top of my car, and the snow coming down much heavier -- much more similar to the winter storms I had seen in Mammoth. This was real snow!

The drive back to my apartment was brutal. Everyone was going about 10mph. All drivers were in a panic. I had to drive onto curbs, medians, and the opposite side of the street to get around people. I was used to driving in the snow from my prior visits to Mammoth, Big Bear, and Lake Tahoe.

By the time the day was over, 6 inches of snow had fallen in Las Vegas (eight inches in Henderson), making it the second snowiest day in Las Vegas recorded history.

Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    December, 2008 was a weird month in Las Vegas. Every day was unusually cold and windy. I felt like I was living in a place like New York. Many of the highs were around 34 degrees that month, and this cold spell lasted for weeks.

On December 14, I had the TV on. The news came on, and when the weather segment started, I paid close attention to see if the cold spell was finally going to end.

Instead, they showed a storm approaching from the distance, with the warning, "Looks like we're going to get some rain on Wednesday."

The high was still forecast in the 30s. I thought to myself, "Rain? It's going to be a high in the 30s. Why aren't they talking about snow?"

The next few days, I was playing at Bellagio during the Five Diamond series (I was playing cash, though), and trying to convince people that measurable snow was coming to Vegas.

Everyone treated me like I was crazy.

"We don't get measurable snow, only flurries", said one.

"I don't believe it. I heard nothing about this on the news, and if this was coming, they'd be making a big deal about it," said another.

"I've heard people talking about snow in the past, but it always ends up being a dusting at most," said yet another.

Not a single person believed me when I told them that I thought we would get a real snowstorm dumping several inches.

I actually was talked into doubting my own assessment. Wednesday came, and I didn't even think about the snow prediction anymore.

At 4pm, I went to the DMV to get a new license. As I walked out of my car, I noticed light snow starting to fall, but I had seen snow like that in Vegas before.

At 4:45pm, I came out to find snow on top of my car, and the snow coming down much heavier -- much more similar to the winter storms I had seen in Mammoth. This was real snow!

The drive back to my apartment was brutal. Everyone was going about 10mph. All drivers were in a panic. I had to drive onto curbs, medians, and the opposite side of the street to get around people. I was used to driving in the snow from my prior visits to Mammoth, Big Bear, and Lake Tahoe.

By the time the day was over, 6 inches of snow had fallen in Las Vegas (eight inches in Henderson), making it the second snowiest day in Las Vegas recorded history.

I remember that day well, I was living in Henderson at the time. I remember how neat the snow falling outside the MGM looked. The Greene lights made the snow glow. After I made my rounds, I went back to Henderson got my truck did some crazy snow driving for fun.

Thread Information