Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas is boring?

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    Frankly I had a 24/7 news career and when you have an extra few hours it's easy to be bored. To be honest, I'd go back to street reporting if anyone would hire me.
    I suspect that as with many guys, retirement does not agree with you.

As I understand it, you kept active until recently with your bestbuys activities: not as stimulating as when you were a reporter perhaps but you made money and were still active in the game.

While I am not really sure about it, it's my impression that since moving to Sin City your bestbuys activity has either ended or been severely diminished, due to forces beyond your control such as changes in media and marketing, IIRC.

So now you're bored in part at least because you're no longer filling a chunk of your time with work.

Understandable, and for most of us guys unavoidable.
    Last edited by MisterV; 01-08-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    What, Me Worry?

To be honest, I'd go back to street reporting if anyone would hire me. No benefits needed -- I have them all. LOL
    This kind of stuck out to me.

You've always been busy doing one thing or another, and now find yourself with considerably less to do. That may or may not change wherever you might live.

Have you ever considered trying something new based on your previous experiences? Perhaps teaching a class on broadcasting. Maybe volunteering for something you believe in, or even consulting in industries you have knowledge of. And if you thought about it I bet you'd find others that might appeal to you.

All of these can be done on a part time basis, but would both fill in a little time as well as give you "meaning".

Alan would be great as a street reporter once again. No doubt about it. He has the passion, the look, the voice, and the draw-the-crowd in charisma to want people to tune in.

There's two sides to every story however. From my perspective which is totally different from his and likely everyone else's here, I'm completely baffled about how retired men keep on wishing they were not so bored with their lives. It's all about what goes on inside their heads. Just think--if young prisoners can find other ways to keep their minds busy for 20 years, it should be a piece of cake for regular folk.

It's all about the choices you make throughout your life. Alan is always looking for a new woman because he always seems to run into bad luck with them forever reason. And it's true. Finding someone to share your life with you and yours with them, is a big key to future happiness regardless what the world throws at you. He hasn't been successful doing that, which screams DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!

I hope he figures out how to keep his mind and body busy. Retirement was NOT meant to suffer thru.

I still do my TV show and Infomercials but I've gone from (if I can use this analogy) 130mph to 35mph. The daily thrills are gone.

If you had an extra 4-5 hours a day what would you do?
    Take a nap.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

I am assuming that Las Vegas is like The Twilight Zone,"A Nice Place To Visit," where gambling, booze, fancy digs, beautiful women, fancy clothes are really fun....For like a month before you start to get bored with all that fun.....

Originally Posted by Tasha View Post
    I am assuming that Las Vegas is like The Twilight Zone,"A Nice Place To Visit," where gambling, booze, fancy digs, beautiful women, fancy clothes are really fun....For like a month before you start to get bored with all that fun.....
    I agree.
    It is a horrible place to live.
    I pray that none of you, on this forum, move here.
    I also ask that the ones who do live in Vegas move to some other part of the world asap.
    Thank You and Thank God!
    Last edited by monet; 01-08-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Originally Posted by regnis View Post
    I spent too many years wasting 3 to 4 hours commuting to and from the office. Then I opened a second office in the suburbs with a 20 minute drive. I now am 10 minutes from work and haven’t seen the downtown office in years.

What do I do with the extra time? I sleep one more hour and work out 70 minutes after work.

Like V I also recommend reading. I have been a reader all my life and it helps pass the time.

I do like the 24 hour aspect of Las Vegas as I am a night owl. In the suburbs here you can’t even get coffee after 9. I do admire your desire to date. I really wouldn’t have the desire to do it. You can always find sex.
    I have Kindle with about 100 books on my windows phone. I can sit down and start reading anytime, anywhere.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Whether or not you're "bored" where you live is all a very simple by-product of whether or not you have a happy and stable life. Unfortunately, someone who makes a lifelong habit of dating/marriage/divorce/dating is probably going to find fault with a lot of things.

It makes no sense to move from LV back to LA solely for another woman, when the track record overwhelmingly points to the obvious. Is there no lessons learned by now? I would think that Alan would never want to leave LV after living in and around that expensive, freak-filled liberal cesspool called LA. He lives in a decent area away from all the riff-raff, and how many of you wouldn't enjoy being within a few minutes of Red Rock. Hot summers are truly a non-issue.

Life is what you make it. You want trouble, poverty, and misery then you can find it. You want happiness, comfort and safety then you can have it. You want health then you do your best and respectfully treat your body like the extraordinary miracle it really is. It doesn't matter a lick where you choose to live, even if it's in the libtard-infested constantly wet Northwest.
    During the campaigns all the politicians in Montana are in the media wearing cowboy hats. No one wears cowboy hats anymore. Just the politicians.

Regnis I wasnt bored in LA. Maybe it was that the "pool" of single women was better? Or maybe that I spent so much time in TRAFFIC that there was so little time left to be bored? LOL
    They got a pool of single women in the brothels up in Nye County. Did you say you had an extra 4 or 5 hours a day?

Reading. No. And let me explain why.

As a reporter I read and read and read. As an Assignment Editor for three years at CBS I read the constant stream of news on teletypes (pre computers) from AP, UPI, Reuters, PR Newswire, etc. I HATE READING.

Frankly I had a 24/7 news career and when you have an extra few hours it's easy to be bored.

To be honest, I'd go back to street reporting if anyone would hire me. No benefits needed -- I have them all. LOL
    Try Amazon Prime Video.

Play 18...especially if it was warm & dry every day.

Originally Posted by Tasha View Post
    Speaking of "The Twilight Zone:"
    What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by coach belly View Post
    Play 18...especially if it was warm & dry every day.
    If you really want to play golf, Florida is for you. Many communities are built around golf courses.

Ah, but Florida has more lightning strikes than any other part of the country.

Just where you want to be with a metal pole pointed up toward the dark and cloudy sky.
    What, Me Worry?

If you really want to play golf, Florida is for you. Many communities are built around golf courses.
    Yes, but it's not warm and dry in Florida...it's warm and swampy.

My parents live in The Villages...150 thousand 55+ and still among the fastest growing areas in the USA.

Everybody lives on a golf course, everybody drives a golf cart.

I visit them often...it's a (relatively) wild scene...like New Orleans for grandparents.
    Last edited by coach belly; 01-08-2019 at 06:38 PM.

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    Ah, but Florida has more lightning strikes than any other part of the country.

Just where you want to be with a metal pole pointed up toward the dark and cloudy sky.
    Now how foolish is that.

You're trying to troll even this?

Epic failure.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    You're trying to troll even this?Epic failure.
    I troll your posts on average 9 1/2 times per week.

Epic liar.
    Last edited by MisterV; 01-08-2019 at 08:41 PM.
    What, Me Worry?

The worst thing one can do is move to Vegas with no plan and no way to support yourself.

I've seen so many people just move there for a "fresh start", and it always ends up in failure. They return back to where they came from within a few years.

Also, Vegas is a very bad place to move if you have addiction issues -- gambling, drinking, drugs, etc. It will just get worse.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Not just Las Vegas: it happens in Portland too.

People come here thinking their shitty lives will improve but they usually don't.

When they leave home they leave any support network behind, be it family, friends, co-workers.

Being alone in a strange new town, no job, little money set aside is an open invitation to becoming homeless.
    What, Me Worry?

Thread Information