Thread: Assange

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...julian-assange
    A comment I agree with from the comments section of the article (I also agree with the article):

"It does not matter which part of the political spectrum you hail from, this is an extremely dangerous precedent. It shows just how precious our freedoms are and how vulnerable they are to government overreach and tyranny. Shame on the tyrants and propagandists who celebrate the arrest of Julian Assange and a pox on their houses."

As (originally) a journalism major, I always assumed you had to be willing to go to jail to protect sources. The Pentagon Papers taught me that. People in power always have the ability to generate questionable charges that can jail you. As a young man, I would have been willing to do this. As an older man, I am now willing to do this. I was not so willing in between.

Journalists have always been at risk. The Assange charges are crap -- conspiracy to hack government computers. He's not even the hacker. That should carry a minimal charge, especially as a first offense. But that's not what's happening.

I still think that despite the Assange charges, the best way to cover the US as a journalist might be as a non-US citizen.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    I still think that despite the Assange charges, the best way to cover the US as a journalist might be as a non-US citizen.
    Excellent point redietz. I think that's why Intercept journalist Glenn Greenwald (who is American-born) is now residing outside the United States.

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Excellent point redietz. I think that's why Intercept journalist Glenn Greenwald (who is American-born) is now residing outside the United States.
    If you are passionate about journalism, you can reside outside the US, report from inside the US, and if they come for you on any kind of trumped up charges, you head for the embassy, get yourself out of the country, and pass on everything you know to another individual who can replace you with no charges against them. I have spoken to a friend with an Ivy League law degree about Assange this last week, and he is horrified. I'm an old cynical journalist, so I expect the US to pull these kind of stunts. I'm no fan of Assange, but this is really heavy handed stuff.

Thread Information