Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: movie reco

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    The new Dune movie is good IMHO. Like you said, part 2 of Blade runner was pretty good (loved the retro slow pacing not found in most of today's movies) and that is how it goes with the new Dune.
    Thanks for the link.
    I haven't figured out how to make those links work on my Smart TV.
    I'd like to hear your 1984 vs 2021 Opinion when you get the time.
    Thanks!
    EIGHTIES RULE by the way...
    You can use firefox browser with an adblocker like ublock and the firefox add-on "ant video downloader" to download the movie from the link. Once the movie is running in the browser the ant video downloader product recognizes the media and then you can download it to your computer. Finally take the downloaded file and put it onto a USB stick which can be placed in the smart TV for viewing. It's possible your Smart TV comes with a browser and you can link to the movie directly but it may not have an ad blocker on the Smart TV browser. I will give my opinion of the two movies in a separate posting.
    Best, TP.

Synopsis of the two Dunes:
    Be prepared for a bit of woke bullshit in the new movie. The new movie is still good, but they feel they have to use a certain ethnicity for certain roles even though that makes it contrived. In the new movie Paul is started off at a much younger age (teenager) than in the old movie. Obviously the special effects are totally on point in the new movie. The big picture emperor stuff is introduced earlier in the new movie and things are spelled out somewhat more in the new Dune movie whereas Lynch assumed people actually still read books when he made the old Dune and so he expected the audience to be familiar enough with a lot of the background having read the Frank Herbert books. That is, the new movie does more spelling out but not excessively so. For example in the new Dune Paul has these educational media to glean background information about Arrakis such as it's strategic relationship to the empire, details about the sandworms and the Fremen. It only has this on one part of this first film so it doesn't detract much from the new movie. The Harkonians were depicted more as elite cruel soldiers in the new film versus the old where they had all the heart plug stuff more emphasized. In both films the Harkonians are quite cruel of course.
    Paul's mom seems a bit more goal-oriented in the new movie (first duty to witches rather than family) and seems to play a bigger role in the new movie if I remember how much of role she had in the old movie correctly.
    In short, as you stated, you will like the old movie better (I did too), but the new movie is very solid and it is not stand alone, there will be another couple of movies to tell the whole story rather than the one in the old Dune.
    Ratings: new movie 7/10
    old movie 10/10

Be prepared for a bit of woke bullshit in the new movie. The new movie is still good, but they feel they have to use a certain ethnicity for certain roles even though that makes it contrived. In the new movie Paul is started off at a much younger age (teenager) than in the old movie. Obviously the special effects are totally on point in the new movie. The big picture emperor stuff is introduced earlier in the new movie and things are spelled out somewhat more in the new Dune movie whereas Lynch assumed people actually still read books when he made the old Dune and so he expected the audience to be familiar enough with a lot of the background having read the Frank Herbert books. That is, the new movie does more spelling out but not excessively so. For example in the new Dune Paul has these educational media to glean background information about Arrakis such as it's strategic relationship to the empire, details about the sandworms and the Fremen. It only has this on one part of this first film so it doesn't detract much from the new movie. The Harkonians were depicted more as elite cruel soldiers in the new film versus the old where they had all the heart plug stuff more emphasized. In both films the Harkonians are quite cruel of course.
    Paul's mom seems a bit more goal-oriented in the new movie (first duty to witches rather than family) and seems to play a bigger role in the new movie if I remember how much of role she had in the old movie correctly.
    In short, as you stated, you will like the old movie better (I did too), but the new movie is very solid and it is not stand alone, there will be another couple of movies to tell the whole story rather than the one in the old Dune.
    old movie 10/10
    I was bored so I bought a digital copy for 30 bucks.
    The new version felt like some sort of prequel style.
    It also felt too linear and modern.
    Shades of Star Wars, Star Trek and Blade Runner 2049.
    I think Part 2 of this new version will be better than part 1 perhaps.
    I smell a Trilogy brewing here.
    Money Grab.
    I prefer Lynch's version as you'll never see anything like it or can compare to it.
    Different Era I suppose and more talented IMO.
    Dune 2021 is not worth 30 dollars however to own a copy of Dune 1984 I'd pay 50.
    I'm gonna mess around with some Civ VI game now and afterwards fire up the Dune 1984 version for a rewatch for a better comparison while the new version is fresh.
    Same basic story IMO but Lynch's version has better acting, storytelling, effects and drama.
    Personally, I'm not a fan of CGI when it comes to FX.
    I agree with your 7/10 and 10/10 rating.
    Well Done tableplay!
    By the way, I read that Lynch never got the Final Cut and they butchered his movie as they tend to do in Hollywood.
    Something along the lines that Lynch didn't like the Studios Version and he didn't like to talk about how pissed off he was with what was on screen.
    He still cashed all the checks though
    Honestly, even if the studio screwed up all the cutting I still find Dune 1984 to be highly entertaining.
    As you said... 10/10 and that's not the director's cut.
    Imagine if we got his full vision/version.
    Last edited by monet; 12-03-2021 at 04:59 PM.

old movie 10/10
    I was bored so I bought a digital copy for 30 bucks.
    The new version felt like some sort of prequel style.
    It also felt too linear and modern.
    Shades of Star Wars, Star Trek and Blade Runner 2049.
    I think Part 2 of this new version will be better than part 1 perhaps.
    I smell a Trilogy brewing here.
    Money Grab.
    I prefer Lynch's version as you'll never see anything like it or can compare to it.
    Different Era I suppose and more talented IMO.
    Dune 2021 is not worth 30 dollars however to own a copy of Dune 1984 I'd pay 50.
    I'm gonna mess around with some Civ VI game now and afterwards fire up the Dune 1984 version for a rewatch for a better comparison while the new version is fresh.
    Same basic story IMO but Lynch's version has better acting, storytelling, effects and drama.
    Personally, I'm not a fan of CGI when it comes to FX.
    I agree with your 7/10 and 10/10 rating.
    Well Done tableplay!
    By the way, I read that Lynch never got the Final Cut and they butchered his movie as they tend to do in Hollywood.
    Something along the lines that Lynch didn't like the Studios Version and he didn't like to talk about how pissed off he was with what was on screen.
    He still cashed all the checks though
    Honestly, even if the studio screwed up all the cutting I still find Dune 1984 to be highly entertaining.
    As you said... 10/10 and that's not the director's cut.
    Imagine if we got his full vision/version.
    Thanks Monet.
    Back in 1984 when the original Dune was released, I vaguely remember some movie critics (maybe Siskel and Ebert) saying that the old Dune
    movie would be hard to understand if you didn't read the books and so I don't think they gave it four stars or what have you. However I read all the books back in High School (the ones released up until that point - obviously his son came out with more later and I think Frank made a couple more before he passed too), so for me the movie was awesome. I thought Sting was terrific in that Harkonian role - perfect casting. Anyway, it's great you are giving the old one a re-watch, so that you get the full gist of the differences. I think I read somewhere that the new Dune will be a trilogy and the new story in the first new movie is certainly consistent with that.
    Best, TP.

Thanks Monet.
    Back in 1984 when the original Dune was released, I vaguely remember some movie critics (maybe Siskel and Ebert) saying that the old Dune
    movie would be hard to understand if you didn't read the books and so I don't think they gave it four stars or what have you. However I read all the books back in High School (the ones released up until that point - obviously his son came out with more later and I think Frank made a couple more before he passed too), so for me the movie was awesome. I thought Sting was terrific in that Harkonian role - perfect casting. Anyway, it's great you are giving the old one a re-watch, so that you get the full gist of the differences. I think I read somewhere that the new Dune will be a trilogy and the new story in the first new movie is certainly consistent with that.
    Best, TP.
    The more I think about the more I am disappointed with the new version.
    Too Grey.
    Too Earthly.
    Too Woke.
    Too Systematical.
    And the Baron was Total Garbage.
    David Lynch's Baron is outright scary, devious and disgusting.
    I move my rating down from 7 to 6/10 for Dune 2021.
    Perhaps Part 2 will get better but I doubt it.
    And the shields are totally awesome in the 1984 version.
    I don't care what anyone says.
    Blue and Red BS Shields Suck.
    1984 Block Shields are cool!!

Thanks Monet.
    Best, TP.
    The more I think about the more I am disappointed with the new version.
    Too Grey.
    Too Earthly.
    Too Woke.
    Too Systematical.
    And the Baron was Total Garbage.
    David Lynch's Baron is outright scary, devious and disgusting.
    I move my rating down from 7 to 6/10 for Dune 2021.
    Perhaps Part 2 will get better but I doubt it.
    And the shields are totally awesome in the 1984 version.
    I don't care what anyone says.
    Blue and Red BS Shields Suck.
    1984 Block Shields are cool!!
    Yes the 1984 Block Shields were very Tron-ish (1982 Tron that is). Comparatively speaking, I would say the worst aspect of the new Dune for me was the wokeness.

This is for one of those days or nights that you have nothing to do and can't find anything to watch.
    You would have to be a bit of a Harold Ramis fan though.
    And it runs very long at 90 some odd minutes.
    That opening line with Groucho Marx was pretty funny.

Do they allow tipping on the boat?
    Oh, Yes Sir!
    Do you got two fives?
    Yes, Sir!
    Well, then you won't need the ten cents I was gonna give ya.

This is for one of those days or nights that you have nothing to do and can't find anything to watch.
    You would have to be a bit of a Harold Ramis fan though.
    And it runs very long at 90 some odd minutes.
    That opening line with Groucho Marx was pretty funny.

Do they allow tipping on the boat?
    Oh, Yes Sir!
    Do you got two fives?
    Yes, Sir!
    Well, then you won't need the ten cents I was gonna give ya.
    Thanks for the reco Monet. I enjoyed his movies, especially Ghostbusters.

While I was making Split Pea Soup, the Yella variety, I watched 4 movies from the Redbox Vending Machine.
    I'm not worried about sanitized rentals.
    I am glad that I only paid 1.85 per movie.

Cry Macho
    No Time To Die
    The Last Duel
    The Many Saints of Newark

Pretty much all trash.
    Cry Macho was probably the best of the bunch.
    I think Clint has been screwing some Mexican Girl for the last ten years because that seems to be his theme for movies.

I guess Ridley Scott just wanted an easy pay day.
    Or maybe he was pissed off at the MeToo Movement so he filmed an hour and a half long rape scene.
    What a Fucking Lazy way to make a movie, giving three nearly identical perspectives.
    2 hours and 32 minutes of this Bullshit lol.
    The video game gore was unnecessary.

The Many Saints of Newark was a bunch of trash for some sort of cash grab.
    No other point to make this movie.

No Time To Die was the usual boring Daniel Craig Bullshit.
    Worst Bond out of them all.
    I rate Timothy Dalton as a better Bond when compared and that is saying a lot.
    Let us not forget that Daniel Craig said that he would rather slit his own wrists than do another Bond Film.
    Obviously he loved the money from doing Bond but he hated the gig.
    The Aston Martin was the star of one of the worst Bond Films in the 25.
    Or is it 27?
    Whatever... 007 is just a number and obviously a Black Female.

While I was making Split Pea Soup, the Yella variety, I watched 4 movies from the Redbox Vending Machine.
    I'm not worried about sanitized rentals.
    I am glad that I only paid 1.85 per movie.

Cry Macho
    No Time To Die
    The Last Duel
    The Many Saints of Newark

Pretty much all trash.
    Cry Macho was probably the best of the bunch.
    I think Clint has been screwing some Mexican Girl for the last ten years because that seems to be his theme for movies.

I guess Ridley Scott just wanted an easy pay day.
    Or maybe he was pissed off at the MeToo Movement so he filmed an hour and a half long rape scene.
    What a Fucking Lazy way to make a movie, giving three nearly identical perspectives.
    2 hours and 32 minutes of this Bullshit lol.
    The video game gore was unnecessary.

The Many Saints of Newark was a bunch of trash for some sort of cash grab.
    No other point to make this movie.

No Time To Die was the usual boring Daniel Craig Bullshit.
    Worst Bond out of them all.
    I rate Timothy Dalton as a better Bond when compared and that is saying a lot.
    Let us not forget that Daniel Craig said that he would rather slit his own wrists than do another Bond Film.
    Obviously he loved the money from doing Bond but he hated the gig.
    The Aston Martin was the star of one of the worst Bond Films in the 25.
    Or is it 27?
    Whatever... 007 is just a number and obviously a Black Female.
    Thanks Monet. Foolishly, I putlockered the new Matrix movie. Absolute woke trash. Doogie twinkle-toes Hawser was in it. I give it 0 out of 5 stars. I agree with your No Time to Die opinion. Google says it's 26 Bond films. But I guess it could be 27 if you count the Peter Sellers spoof (the James Coburn Our Man Flint/In Like Flint spoofs don't count since he's not called James Bond)
    P.S. Sorry to hear about Madden.
    Last edited by tableplay; 12-29-2021 at 03:33 AM.

Thanks Monet. Foolishly, I putlockered the new Matrix movie. Absolute woke trash. Doogie twinkle-toes Hawser was in it. I give it 0 out of 5 stars. I agree with your No Time to Die opinion. Google says it's 26 Bond films. But I guess it could be 27 if you count the Peter Sellers spoof (the James Coburn Our Man Flint/In Like Flint spoofs don't count since he's not called James Bond)
    That makes sense because, in my opinion, Part 3 was utter trash.
    The first two movies were good.
    I seen part 1 in the Theater in Seattle.
    I remember when I was walking out of the theater I seen an advertisement for The Thirteenth Floor.
    Hollywood hadn't gone completely woke just yet.
    Joe Rogan was asking the question of why isn't music made the same way anymore?
    They couldn't figure it out.
    The reason is that we had a great run of about 90 years of an explosion of Creativity.
    American Society took their minds off of War for enough time to create through the mediums of books, music and movies.
    That only works for so long.
    Time to get back to our Human desire for War.

That makes sense because, in my opinion, Part 3 was utter trash.
    The first two movies were good.
    I seen part 1 in the Theater in Seattle.
    I remember when I was walking out of the theater I seen an advertisement for The Thirteenth Floor.
    Hollywood hadn't gone completely woke just yet.
    Joe Rogan was asking the question of why isn't music made the same way anymore?
    They couldn't figure it out.
    The reason is that we had a great run of about 90 years of an explosion of Creativity.
    American Society took their minds off of War for enough time to create through the mediums of books, music and movies.
    That only works for so long.
    Time to get back to our Human desire for War.
    Interestingly, The Thirteenth Floor was a remake of the German two-part mini-series World on a Wire (according to Wikipedia), which I have not seen. I thought The Thirteenth Floor was a good movie. I agree, the first Matrix was good - I saw it after work on opening day IIRC. I saw the 2nd one in the theater also, but I don't remember the circumstances.

Once again I am slipping.
    Never heard of this Spice Diver edit.
    Just under 3 hours.
    480p but they upgraded it to 4k.
    Seems crystal clear on my TV and Computer.
    I have been having buyers remorse for paying 30 dollars for Dune 2021.
    This edited version Free on Youtube for now...

Last edited by monet; 12-31-2021 at 01:55 AM.

Once again I am slipping.
    Never heard of this Spice Diver edit.
    Just under 3 hours.
    480p but they upgraded it to 4k.
    Seems crystal clear on my TV and Computer.
    I have been having buyers remorse for paying 30 dollars for Dune 2021.
    This edited version Free on Youtube for now...

Thanxs M8. I'll check it out.

I watched about half of it so far.
    It's just so much better than the new version.
    Same story but the 1984 version has so much creativity.
    I never understood the hate for it even though the last half hour was rushed and crammed.
    I know it doesn't line up with the book because the studio heads wouldn't allow Lynch to make a 4 hour movie.
    The costumes, acting, sets, special effects are just too good.
    The movie even has the Brewmeister or Ming the Merciless in it.
    Since he was in Flash Gordon it only makes sense to put him in Dune.
    It must be a generational thing because all the kiddies love the new version.
    Guess that is why the Fan's went back and edited the movie to add an additional 45 minutes.

When you have time here is a Podcast from 1969.
    I got about half way through it.
    Not too bad since you get to hear the ideas and data behind the book.
    I didn't realize that Sand Dunes were studied and controlled so much.

I watched about half of it so far.
    It's just so much better than the new version.
    Same story but the 1984 version has so much creativity.
    I never understood the hate for it even though the last half hour was rushed and crammed.
    I know it doesn't line up with the book because the studio heads wouldn't allow Lynch to make a 4 hour movie.
    The costumes, acting, sets, special effects are just too good.
    The movie even has the Brewmeister or Ming the Merciless in it.
    Since he was in Flash Gordon it only makes sense to put him in Dune.
    It must be a generational thing because all the kiddies love the new version.
    Guess that is why the Fan's went back and edited the movie to add an additional 45 minutes.

When you have time here is a Podcast from 1969.
    I got about half way through it.
    Not too bad since you get to hear the ideas and data behind the book.
    I didn't realize that Sand Dunes were studied and controlled so much.

Since I enjoyed reading the books, I'm sure I will enjoy the 1969 podcast - thanks for the reco Monet.

I always feel shame when I reply to my own quote.
    A bit necessary this time as this statement was false.
    I guess it is more like 25 to 30 minutes of added footage from the TV Movie and some deleted Dune 1984 scenes.
    They edited the order of the scenes to make it more coherent.
    I honestly didn't notice.
    I've never had a problem following the '84 Theatrical Version.
    Probably because I watch far too many movies and can actually concentrate on the movie and story telling.
    I started reading the Bible and studying Religion at an early age so that probably helps in understanding the content.
    IMO it is an old story throughout history that keeps repeating itself.

Anyways... good to watch that Spice Diver Version as its been awhile since I watched Dune 1984.
    It just blows Dune 2021 out of the water in my opinion.
    The CGI in Dune 2021 doesn't impress me at all.
    I'm after the story and good acting when I watch a movie.
    I want to get lost and attached to the movie.
    Dune 2021 missed completely to enthrall me in any way.

That fight scene in Dune 1984 with Sting is very similar to the fight scene in Flash Gordon with Timothy Dalton.

I always feel shame when I reply to my own quote.
    A bit necessary this time as this statement was false.
    I guess it is more like 25 to 30 minutes of added footage from the TV Movie and some deleted Dune 1984 scenes.
    They edited the order of the scenes to make it more coherent.
    I honestly didn't notice.
    I've never had a problem following the '84 Theatrical Version.
    Probably because I watch far too many movies and can actually concentrate on the movie and story telling.
    I started reading the Bible and studying Religion at an early age so that probably helps in understanding the content.
    IMO it is an old story throughout history that keeps repeating itself.

Anyways... good to watch that Spice Diver Version as its been awhile since I watched Dune 1984.
    It just blows Dune 2021 out of the water in my opinion.
    The CGI in Dune 2021 doesn't impress me at all.
    I'm after the story and good acting when I watch a movie.
    I want to get lost and attached to the movie.
    Dune 2021 missed completely to enthrall me in any way.

That fight scene in Dune 1984 with Sting is very similar to the fight scene in Flash Gordon with Timothy Dalton.
    Since I read the original books, the unaltered 1984 Dune version was very clear to me as well. Terrific movie. I heard the Malone podcast from Joe Rogan and really thought it was great. My take from the podcast is that Dr. Malone is trying to imply the vaccine may have the ancillary purpose of depopulation through infertility (the vaccine harms the eggs when injected into females).

Since I read the original books, the unaltered 1984 Dune version was very clear to me as well. Terrific movie. I heard the Malone podcast from Joe Rogan and really thought it was great. My take from the podcast is that Dr. Malone is trying to imply the vaccine may have the ancillary purpose of depopulation through infertility (the vaccine harms the eggs when injected into females).
    It was nice to hear the one on one conversation with Dr. Malone.
    Overall, things just look bad.
    Socialist, Communist and Nazi Ideology seems to have captured our Politics and Educational System.
    And they own Hollywood to print their propaganda whenever they want.
    You would think that people wouldn't want to accept a social credit score system but the world has changed.
    Americans these days, seem to enjoy and welcome Total Control by their Government.

Americans these days, seem to enjoy and welcome Total Control by their Government.
    That must be it - they can't possibly be that stupid with regard to believing all the lies hurled at them each day.

Thread Information