Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
Originally Posted by monet View Post
I was having an argument with myself today that Russel Crowe is in this Soccer Movie.
Turns out that I was wrong about that.
Just some no name Scottish Doppelganger who actually played the game professionally.
I used to go to the movies and pay for one and sneak around till they closed.
I'd watch 5 or 6 movies depending.
I saw this on the big screen.
I liked it.
You can probably find a better copy but this one is free on YouTube Currently.
Robert Duvall is the coach and Michael Keaton has a smaller role.
I read some ugly reviews about this movie, and it has been over 20 years since I watched it, so maybe it really isn't that good.
You'll have to decide for yourself if you watch it.

A Shot at Glory (2000)
I enjoyed the movie Monet, thanks again for the reco.
A few rewrites:
1) Jackie should never have been written to take his own car to football matches from the beginning. He would have gotten iced by his team mates (or worse) no matter how talented and anyone that's played team sports knows this (it adds insult to injury that towards the end of the movie he came around in his attitude and took the team bus) as you know.
2) Peter Cameron (Keaton) would have gotten tossed out of the team dinner party if he told everyone there that he would not move the 100 year old team to Dublin if they won the Scottish all divisions tournament. Possibly had his car tires (or bicycle stolen if he bicycled in) slashed, etc. Maybe not ran that scene or maybe rewrite the scene with him announcing a new stadium in town if they won or some other big reward. The imminent move to Dublin was already known by the town so why incite violence and risk personal harm - doesn't make sense. Really, it's hard to believe an owner would interface with the town in person if he knows the town is already aware he is going to move the team.
3) Give the Scots some credit and use a Scotsman in the Kilnockie manager role (instead of Duvall playing a Scotsman) - maybe they figured a big star in the role would get the film more views, but I think a solid film like this would stand on its own without having to do this.

It's always fun watching the Scots, Welsh, and Irish national teams play because they have a very scrappy style of play with a high work rate so they can surprise any team in the world with this style (i.e. "winning dirty" like Brad Gilbert used to do in tennis).
It appears that you know more about this subject than I do.
I was the only person in the theater, and it was a movie with Duvall and Sports, so it was fine for me.
I like how Keaton didn't do any accents or change his mannerisms.
He was the same person in this movie he always has been which I found funny.
I've only watched the first 10 minutes, so I forget a lot of it.
I only remember the ending with the penalty kick.
And it's a pretty basic story that's been told many times over in different ways.
What I do know about movies is that you need a big name or two to get it green lit.
The writer and or director usually just want to get the funding to get the thing made so they take who they can get.
It was Free on YouTube.