Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: movie reco

Fuck John Wayne.
    Fuck Clint Eastwood.

Audie Murphy (1924–1971) was the most decorated soldier in US history, winning 24 medals from the Congressional Medal of Honor down.
    His exploits were the subject of To Hell and Back (USA, 1956), in which he starred as himself.

How many movies did Audie Murphy make?
    44 Films!

Fucking Guy is such a Badass he not only does it for real but he does it again in the movies!
    And the kicker is that Audie Murphy lied about his age to get into the military!
    The Army, Navy, and Marine Corps all turned him down for being underweight and underage.
    After his sister provided an affidavit falsifying his birth date by a year, he was accepted by the U.S. Army on 30 June 1942.
    PTSD might be a scam.
    And I say that even though my father was diagnosed with PTSD and given 100%.

Last edited by monet; 08-06-2022 at 10:17 AM.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Fuck John Wayne.
    Fuck Clint Eastwood.

Audie Murphy (1924–1971) was the most decorated soldier in US history, winning 24 medals from the Congressional Medal of Honor down.
    His exploits were the subject of To Hell and Back (USA, 1956), in which he starred as himself.

How many movies did Audie Murphy make?
    44 Films!

Fucking Guy is such a Badass he not only does it for real but he does it again in the movies!
    And the kicker is that Audie Murphy lied about his age to get into the military!
    The Army, Navy, and Marine Corps all turned him down for being underweight and underage.
    After his sister provided an affidavit falsifying his birth date by a year, he was accepted by the U.S. Army on 30 June 1942.
    PTSD might be a scam.
    And I say that even though my father was diagnosed with PTSD and given 100%.

Thanks Monet. I watched some of the full Mackenna's Gold movie on Youtube but it had some odd fast camera panning. It may have been an artifact of Youtube. Anyway I will watch some more of it later.

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Thanks Monet. I watched some of the full Mackenna's Gold movie on Youtube but it had some odd fast camera panning. It may have been an artifact of Youtube. Anyway I will watch some more of it later.
    No worries.
    That upload you are talking about is unwatchable.
    They did that to avoid the copyright but it's useless for any viewing.

No worries.
    That upload you are talking about is unwatchable.
    They did that to avoid the copyright but it's useless for any viewing.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll putlocker it.

I watched the Putlocker download of MacKenna's Gold Monet. The Penguin and Catwoman (as you already mentioned) appeared from The Batman TV series. Then there was the great performance from The Addams Family's Lurch. Spaghetti Western allstar Tuko (as you already mentioned) and Kojak too. Mackenna got away with the sacred gold and the very pretty woman it would seem. Well it was a fun movie and you could feel the late 60's and early 70's spirit in the 1800's West of the movie. Thanks again for the reco.

I watched the Putlocker download of MacKenna's Gold Monet. The Penguin and Catwoman (as you already mentioned) appeared from The Batman TV series. Then there was the great performance from The Addams Family's Lurch. Spaghetti Western allstar Tuko (as you already mentioned) and Kojak too. Mackenna got away with the sacred gold and the very pretty woman it would seem. Well it was a fun movie and you could feel the late 60's and early 70's spirit in the 1800's West of the movie. Thanks again for the reco.
    I like the cutbacks from actual footage to fake footage in front of a movie screen.
    I also love the miniatures and constant reusing of the same footage over and over.
    And the Injuns constantly chanting.
    I also love how Catwoman was dead set on killing that white woman.
    She was nuts in that movie and in a good way.
    And how the Fuck did they climb up and down that mountainside so damn fast lol??
    Like you say... fun movie.

On a side note, it was funny how Omar Sharif made some comment about not being Mexican or not understanding Mexicans.
    Meanwhile he is an Egyptian playing a Mexican lol.
    Oh how Hollywood has changed.
    Did you see John Leguizamo all upset about James Franco playing Fidel Castro?
    I lost a lot of respect for Leguizamo after his recent WOKE Tantrum.
    I'm guessing that Justin Trudeau turned down the part as he was a shoo-in!
    Google just taught me that shoe-in is a common misspelling.

Another side note... song reco lol... These bastards will do anything for fame and money.

Last edited by monet; 08-07-2022 at 03:18 AM.

Are ghosts real???

Are ghosts real???
    I've never seen one, but then, who am I to argue with Teddy ?

After watching The Good Night the other day I revisited Vanilla Sky.
    I actually went to the theater to see this movie back in 2001 at the Orleans.
    Those were the days when Vegas was a Ghost Town after Nine Eleven.
    I always liked the film.
    Good Story, Nice Cinematography, Great Soundtrack, Interesting Concept etc. etc.
    I noticed a bit of a link with the two films so I was researching them a bit.
    Turns out that Vanilla Sky is a remake of the 1997 Film Abre Los Ojos which translates to Open Your Eyes.
    And of course Penélope Cruz is in all three films.
    I was reading that the original Spanish Film is more dark and borders on Horror.
    Supposedly has a better ending and some say better characters.
    The big budget film Vanilla Sky wins out on Cinematography, A-Listers and a much better Soundtrack.
    I suppose I will have to watch this original version and report back.

On another movie note I bought the Blu-Ray DVD Barfly.
    It was expensive at 30 bucks but the special features make up for the cost.
    Interviews with Bukowski and behind the scenes movie action.
    And you can watch the movie with the Director, Barbet Schroeder, breaking down every scene and information which I do enjoy.
    Kind of an interesting story since it took him 7+ years to get enough funding and get green lit.
    Also Bukowski in his usual form praising Mickey Rourke and later bashing the shit out of his portrayal of Henry Chinaski.
    The opening and closing credits are good enough for the price of admission to see all those bar fronts of how they used to be.
    Some say that things are still like that in certain areas of LA.
    I love and miss the Neon.

SONG RECO... Booker T. & The MG's - Hip Hug-Her

After watching The Good Night the other day I revisited Vanilla Sky.
    I actually went to the theater to see this movie back in 2001 at the Orleans.
    Those were the days when Vegas was a Ghost Town after Nine Eleven.
    I always liked the film.
    Good Story, Nice Cinematography, Great Soundtrack, Interesting Concept etc. etc.
    I noticed a bit of a link with the two films so I was researching them a bit.
    Turns out that Vanilla Sky is a remake of the 1997 Film Abre Los Ojos which translates to Open Your Eyes.
    And of course Penélope Cruz is in all three films.
    I was reading that the original Spanish Film is more dark and borders on Horror.
    Supposedly has a better ending and some say better characters.
    The big budget film Vanilla Sky wins out on Cinematography, A-Listers and a much better Soundtrack.
    I suppose I will have to watch this original version and report back.

On another movie note I bought the Blu-Ray DVD Barfly.
    It was expensive at 30 bucks but the special features make up for the cost.
    Interviews with Bukowski and behind the scenes movie action.
    And you can watch the movie with the Director, Barbet Schroeder, breaking down every scene and information which I do enjoy.
    Kind of an interesting story since it took him 7+ years to get enough funding and get green lit.
    Also Bukowski in his usual form praising Mickey Rourke and later bashing the shit out of his portrayal of Henry Chinaski.
    The opening and closing credits are good enough for the price of admission to see all those bar fronts of how they used to be.
    Some say that things are still like that in certain areas of LA.
    I love and miss the Neon.

SONG RECO... Booker T. & The MG's - Hip Hug-Her
    Thanks for the song reco Monet (it goes well with the opening credits). I thought Barfly was a gem and saw it in the theater when it was released. My favorite thing about that movie was how Rourke's character treated fights with the bartender Frank Stallone like a daily chore - like a factory worker punching in the clock, going to work, and then punching out. Absolutely those type of bar fronts still exist (in pockets), albeit often times with more dilapidation and homeless folks hanging out.
    I haven't seen Barfly or Vanilla Sky in many years so I've forgotten a lot about both films. I saw a film called Rogue Agent (2022) which I didn't realize was about a well known conman until I watched the film (I thought it was going to be some sort of spy thriller). It wasn't good enough for any sort of reco but it's something to watch if your film queue runs dry.
    Last edited by tableplay; 09-05-2022 at 04:48 AM.

Thanks for the song reco Monet (it goes well with the opening credits). I thought Barfly was a gem and saw it in the theater when it was released. My favorite thing about that movie was how Rourke's character treated fights with the bartender Frank Stallone like a daily chore - like a factory worker punching in the clock, going to work, and then punching out. Absolutely those type of bar fronts still exist (in pockets), albeit often times with more dilapidation and homeless folks hanging out.
    I haven't seen Barfly or Vanilla Sky in many years so I've forgotten a lot about both films. I saw a film called Rogue Agent (2022) which I didn't realize was about a well known conman until I watched the film (I thought it was going to be some sort of spy thriller). It wasn't good enough for any sort of reco but it's something to watch if your film queue runs dry.
    No worries.
    Turns out that Open Your Eyes is Free with ads on Amazon Prime.
    I'll catch it soon but I'm guessing the experience will be marred a bit because of the subtitles and since I've watched Vanilla Sky about 20 times over 20+ years so far.
    That scene with the music where he is losing his mind and killing Sophia is pretty wild and intense.

I'm about halfway through the directors commentator on Barfly.
    You get some interesting information like how he searched out all the spots and had to have a room with a view of the Palm Trees.
    Very important to him.
    That's another level of viewing and movie making.
    Speaking of Con Artists... this movie should of never been made lol.
    Turns out the guy who promised to fund the 3 Million Dollars was running a hustle across town trying to sell the script for 7 Million.
    And Cannon had backed out but after a 2 weeks struggle they just decided to fund it.
    Turns out that everyone was right about the movie as it cost 3 Million to make and only profited 3.2 Million at the box office.
    I love that intro that Cannon does with their movies.
    Very 80's and very Tron-esque (Not a real word).
    They mostly shot this entire movie in authentic real world locations.
    The Bar/Hotel in the beginning was on its way out to be condemned and eventually tore down.
    I guess the entire hotel portion smelled like urine and other rotting things.
    I've lived in places like those across the country in my youth.
    Mostly in Atlantic City and Las Vegas.
    I stayed at the El Cid in Vegas for a few weeks and at night if you left the lights off you would come home to about 20+ roaches all over the place.
    One of the best lines in the movie Barfly is... No money, no job, no ride... hey, back to normal.

Now about that movie Rogue Agent.
    I was going to watch it a few days ago but after watching the trailer I got turned off.
    At first I thought ok maybe good because it might be a spy movie.
    But the trailer made it look like some guy stalking a woman and focused on getting revenge on her in one way or another.
    I passed but I may revisit it again since you say it is watchable.

Now about that movie Rogue Agent.
    I was going to watch it a few days ago but after watching the trailer I got turned off.
    At first I thought ok maybe good because it might be a spy movie.
    But the trailer made it look like some guy stalking a woman and focused on getting revenge on her in one way or another.
    I passed but I may revisit it again since you say it is watchable.
    Thanks Monet. Yes the Rogue Agent trailer is a bit misleading then as the guy is mainly about conning people out of money (via feigned romance) and the conning behavior of sociapaths and psychopaths which does dovetail into some control type issues as a consequence. It picks up a bit of steam in the latter half. What I can say definitively about this movie is that it isn't unwatchable. This movie is not a destination but it is a space filler in the same sense as some of the Bruce Willis straight to video movies that we discussed and rated as ok. I would never reco it in the sense of bumping it to the top of a movie queue or what not (i.e. rating it as a destination rather than a space filler). Caption of the movie - "Mediocre movie watchable on a slow day". An example of something unwatchable would be something like Maverick - Top Gun or any of the new woke Star Wars movies.
    Last edited by tableplay; 09-05-2022 at 04:24 PM.

By the way, Part 15 is missing but I didn't even realize it.
    Probably only 4 minutes missing from the film that isn't very important.
    Turns out the movie parts are just mislabeled so you shouldn't miss any of the movie.
    And I just read that this movie isn't anything like the script in the 72/73 play but the premise is still the same.
    I think Paul Sorvino was involved in the 72, 82 and 99 versions.
    This is part 1 of That Championship Season and it should auto play the other 22 parts if anyone has interest.
    I liked it and it is a Cannon Films Production but without the cool Cannon Intro...

Last edited by monet; 09-19-2022 at 02:29 PM.

By the way, Part 15 is missing but I didn't even realize it.
    Probably only 4 minutes missing from the film that isn't very important.
    Turns out the movie parts are just mislabeled so you shouldn't miss any of the movie.
    And I just read that this movie isn't anything like the script in the 72/73 play but the premise is still the same.
    I think Paul Sorvino was involved in the 72, 82 and 99 versions.
    This is part 1 of That Championship Season and it should auto play the other 22 parts if anyone has interest.
    I liked it and it is a Cannon Films Production but without the cool Cannon Intro...
    Monet, here is a full version I found. I am downloading it now and plan to watch it on my computer after it downloads:
    https://moviesguide123.com/that-championship-season/

That Championship Season was a very solid flick. Like most of these movies, just seeing the city and citizenry of the time itself made the film worth seeing. It was amazing that Jason Miller could think up this story in his head, with all that detail and then write a script about it. The rollercoaster of camaraderie and betrayal between the characters throughout the film was something. I'm glad unwoke films like this can still be accessed - thank the internet. You learned of the existence of the Rosenbaum podcast and from there the existence of the film/script, then you watched it and then I watched it. So the high tech of the internet gives us access to movies,music and ideas that otherwise would be long forgotten or suppressed from decades ago (in this case four decades). It's great that we don't have to go totally from memory to visualize this stuff since it is all captured in film and music. I hope people a lot younger than us will watch this stuff and realize what was lost and how radically culture has changed and how radically it probably will change.

That Championship Season was a very solid flick. Like most of these movies, just seeing the city and citizenry of the time itself made the film worth seeing. It was amazing that Jason Miller could think up this story in his head, with all that detail and then write a script about it. The rollercoaster of camaraderie and betrayal between the characters throughout the film was something. I'm glad unwoke films like this can still be accessed - thank the internet. You learned of the existence of the Rosenbaum podcast and from there the existence of the film/script, then you watched it and then I watched it. So the high tech of the internet gives us access to movies,music and ideas that otherwise would be long forgotten or suppressed from decades ago (in this case four decades). It's great that we don't have to go totally from memory to visualize this stuff since it is all captured in film and music. I hope people a lot younger than us will watch this stuff and realize what was lost and how radically culture has changed and how radically it probably will change.
    No doubt.
    Before the internet it used to be fun to watch the Late Night Movie or AMC or whatever and just run into some obscure film that you would really enjoy.
    The first time I seen the Hustler was sort of like this as by chance I had happened to catch it on AMC right when they were doing an into before the film.
    Funny story about Robert Mitchum and giving an interview which caused a ruckus because he was being very belligerent, racist and other forms of offensive.
    Anyways, he later claimed that he was messing with the interviewer and he was using the character from That Championship Season as he had just wrapped up the picture.
    But I dunno, others throughout the years claimed he was really that guy and I read something about how he would get drunk and call Peter Falk all sorts of Anti-Semitic names.
    Peter Falk claimed that he was way too small of a guy compared to Mitchum and just took the abuse.
    I don't really care if it is true or not, I just find the stories funny.
    I could see Mitchum being like that as they claimed he was always drunk or stoned during many pictures.
    I also like how Jason Miller took his new found fame and fortune and just ran it into the ground
    I've been going through his son's movies as of late and his catalog is pretty darn impressive for someone you just never hear about.
    He is the kind of actor that I have watched but didn't know I was watching him for over 30+ years.
    I wrapped up his movie Incognito which wasn't great but it was good enough for a viewing.
    I had no idea he was in that Billy Bob Thorton remake of the Alamo.
    And I never seen that movie you talked about before with Bruce Dern... After Dark My Sweet.
    I think that is up next.
    Jason Patric seems to have done pretty well, all things considering.
    Made a bunch of movies and has millions in the bank.
    I guess he showed them!

https://www.jta.org/archive/special-...is-interview-i

And I never seen that movie you talked about before with Bruce Dern... After Dark My Sweet.
    Great points Monet. After I watched After Dark My Sweet at the theater when it came out (it was an indie), I was looking forward to watching other movies he was in since he did a great job in that movie. Later on, when Narc came out, it was just as great as I figured it would be. In That Championship Season, Bruce Dern (who was in After Dark My Sweet) plays a character who doesn't care about the environment. Ironically, as you'll recall, he played an ultra-environmentalist in the sci-fi movie he was in a decade earlier (Silent Running). I thought Jason Patric did a great job in The Lost Boys, but it wasn't until After Dark My Sweet, that I recalled he was in The Lost Boys in his early career. I remember in The Lost Boys, the guy from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was in it (Alex Winter). I figured he was going to have a big acting career like his co-star Keanu Reeves, but it didn't quite happen (Winter does have a rock solid career for sure, but not mind-blowing). What's interesting is that The Lost Boys doesn't even show up in Alex Winter's filmography (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0935664/). Maybe he wasn't interested in having one of his minor roles credited.
    Anyhow, I hope that Keystone gets some original material. His Mcap shtick (getting anal about what thread posts are in and "get a motel" quips) is flat out plagiarism. Everyone has hobbies and his main one appears to be getting upset over nothing.

everything everywhere all at once!

Originally Posted by wrongpath39 View Post
    I'm gonna rent this for 6 bucks in about 10 minutes because the movie has Cantonese Subtitles which is good for my Gook Wife.
    But I have very low expectations.
    I heard it was horrible.
    Young People seem to love it for some odd reason.
    Most likely because they don't watch many movies and this movie is supposedly mind numbing.
    Perhaps a good watch if you are on LSD, Mushrooms or Strong Edibles.
    The way I understand it is if you like this genre you are way better off watching Kung Fu Hustle (2004).
    Stephen Chow is the Fucking Man but he has much better movies than Kung Fu Hustle.
    And Yuen Qiu is really Fucking Good in movies too.
    Her Mahjong movies are worth multiple viewings.
    I've heard that even The One (2001) with Jet Li is a much better film.
    The One was so bad in my opinion I can't remember anything about it and I think I watched it twice.
    Plenty of Hong Kong Movies to Reco as I've seen 100's of them, so not all is lost.
    I'll update my opinion after I actually watch Everything Everywhere.
    Last edited by monet; 09-21-2022 at 01:14 PM.

Originally Posted by wrongpath39 View Post
    Thanks for the reco wrongpath39.

Thread Information