Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
Originally Posted by monet View Post
No big deal here but I was watching a review on Barry Lyndon, and I got the urge to watch Dr. Strangelove again last night.

Hard to rate them as you can interchange many of Kubrick's movies.

1. Barry Lyndon
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. 2001
4. The Shining
5. Full Metal Jacket (etc. etc.)

Not sure we ever got into Paper Moon but it's definitely worth multiple viewings.
That's a great list - the ones on the list I remember most vividly are 2001 and the Shining, and the remainder are ones I haven't seen in a very long time or never saw (Barry Lyndon).
I enjoyed the humor of Paper Moon quite a bit - I think the Coen Brothers adapted some of their Clooney movies' comedy from it (O Brother Where Art Thou; it seems like Clooney's character took some traits from Ryan's character). I agree with the critics about the chemistry between Ryan and his daughter - it bleeds into the film perfectly. I don't remember discussing Paper Moon here. It was this level of success that allowed Ryan to make easy money on films like Fever Pitch, where they simply rely on his stardom to make the film work and get people to buy tickets for it (but like you wrote - it bombed globally even though it was solid movie). Kind of like those Clint Eastwood Every Which Way but Loose movies where a big star has some movies built around them to pick up some easy money for the studio and actor after a box office success (of his westerns and Dirty Harry).
Not a list perse, more so how I rate the order of my favorite Kubrick Movies.
Anyhoo, I haven't watched Interstellar for about 9 years, and I remember hating it 9 years ago.
Sometimes, on a rewatch, I change my mind.
Not this time.
I watched the entire movie again and again I still hate it.
I hated that movie Gravity too.
I don't want my Science Fiction to take itself so seriously.