Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: movie reco

So I get on a bit of kick because I'm thinking about Diane Lane in the Drive In Movie Scene.
    And I think it's in American Graffiti but that's not right as it is in the Outsiders.
    So I'm watching that scene with the Karate Kid, Dillon and Lane.
    Finish that and I notice a preview of a movie I haven't seen.
    Looks like Arbitrage with worse actors and a bad script.
    Anyways, if you are hard up and want to watch everything Richard Gere has done here is another movie where he seems to be screwing around.
    It has Dakota Fanning in it who seems to be making a comeback as she is teaming up with Washington to make the Equalizer 3.
    Always the same shit with this guy lol... rich guy, car crash, screwing women... etc. etc.
    I suppose it could be worse as they could make him woke, gay and screwing guys.

The movie seems to be free on YouTube.
    I skimmed through some of it and it looks horrible lol.
    It's one of these movies you have to dare or bet yourself that you can watch the entire thing.
    Of course the video says unavailable down below but if you click on youtube it takes you over there.
    Not sure but it looks like the movie is cropped which can be annoying.
    Not a Reco... just me being me which is obsessive compulsive I suppose.

Last edited by monet; 06-17-2022 at 10:56 PM.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    I watched Arbitrage and I found it to be entertaining. The person who created the film seems to have a lot of insight into the world of the uber-wealthy, in regards to their lifestyle and value system - but that is just a guess from a lay person. Obviously Black Hole (if he weren't banned) or Cerveza Fria could provide a much more accurate opinion in regards to how spot on the film was. Thanks again for the reco.
    Not too bad.
    Same story as always with Gere.
    Screwing around and usually getting away with it.
    I suppose with the exception of Unfaithful 2002.
    But I guess he finds True Love with Diane Lane 6 years later in Nights in Rodanthe 2008.
    I could of been a movie reviewer lol.
    I could of been a lot of things.
    But all I ever wanted to be was a lazy bum.
    And I succeeded for now.

If you want to watch another Gere movie that is somewhat decent you can watch Intersection 1994.
    Always the same story with this bastard lol.
    In my opinion it is a better flick than the low 5.3 ratings but I may have just been in the mood for that type of movie back in the 90's.
    I haven't viewed it for 20 some odd years.

And while we're on it,
    How the Fuck did/does everyone love Pretty Woman 1990??
    Horrible Movie.
    Horrible Message.
    Just like that piece of shit Juno.
    Thanks for the Intersection reco Monet, I don't recall seeing it. Speaking of Juno, Hollywood culture really fucked up Ellen Page. I'll assume the movie you found on Youtube is The Benefactor as the link just goes to youtube but not specifically to the movie. Maybe I'll check that one out since I never saw it.
    thanks again.

P.S. My favorite "Getting Away With It" movie is The Bad lieutenant:Port of Call New Orleans with Nicolas Cage.
    Last edited by tableplay; 06-18-2022 at 09:28 AM.

P.S. My favorite "Getting Away With It" movie is The Bad lieutenant:Port of Call New Orleans with Nicolas Cage.
    Yes Benefactor... Free Movie on YouTube if you search for it.
    I watched it early this morning.
    It's ok I guess.
    Not really that good.
    Characters are not developed well.
    Forced Acting.
    Rushed Script.
    I just watched it out of curiosity and I'm a bit of a movie buff.
    I fast forwarded the last 20 minutes or so as they were dragging it out.
    Personally and this is a spoiler alert but I would of ended the movie with an 18 wheeler crashing into Gere killing him at the end when he decides to change his life for the better.
    That would of been great shock value and the best way to end it in my opinion.

You are out of your mind with Nick Cage in Bad Lieutenant.
    Do yourself a favor and watch or revisit the original with Harvey.
    Let's go Mets!

It's ok I guess.
    Not really that good.
    Forced Acting.
    Rushed Script.
    Personally and this is a spoiler alert but I would of ended the movie with an 18 wheeler crashing into Gere killing him at the end when he decides to change his life for the better.

Let's go Mets!
    Thanks Monet, I'll check out the original.

Originally Posted by Garnabby View Post

It's ok I guess.
    Not really that good.
    Forced Acting.
    Rushed Script.

Let's go Mets!
    Thanks Monet, I'll check out the original.
    What did I tell you? Not "you", but every one else, earlier on in this thread, today. Ha.
    Taking a dump on every thread, no matter how innocuous, is your specialty. This isn't surprising since you're a pile of shit.

I saw the Keitel Bad Lieutenant Monet. Thanks again for posting it (obviously this will create a Bill Yung retort, but he will not alter my behavior of thanking someone who does me a solid no matter what he posts) - I enjoyed it. So, now, after viewing both, I can say that the Cage movie is not a remake. Each movie is about a different Bad Lieutenant in a different location. Keitel doesn't get away with anything - he gets drive-byed at the end for fucking up his game 7 bet ("LA's a lock"). The Cage movie was simply a dark comedy where getting away with it (more than getting away with it - actually profiting immensely including a promotion), despite being completely out of control and having to have several loose ends break his way (via clever screen-writing IMHO) was really funny and totally anti-establishment. Yes, corrupt people get away with shit all the time and can live, long, opulent lives as we both know and have seen over and over again.
    The Keitel movie was a gritty reality-based movie, and I love how it was set at the height of violence in New York before the Giuliani clean-up - well worth the watch.

I saw the Keitel Bad Lieutenant Monet. Thanks again for posting it (obviously this will create a Bill Yung retort, but he will not alter my behavior of thanking someone who does me a solid no matter what he posts) - I enjoyed it. So, now, after viewing both, I can say that the Cage movie is not a remake. Each movie is about a different Bad Lieutenant in a different location. Keitel doesn't get away with anything - he gets drive-byed at the end for fucking up his game 7 bet ("LA's a lock"). The Cage movie was simply a dark comedy where getting away with it (more than getting away with it - actually profiting immensely including a promotion), despite being completely out of control and having to have several loose ends break his way (via clever screen-writing IMHO) was really funny and totally anti-establishment. Yes, corrupt people get away with shit all the time and can live, long, opulent lives as we both know and have seen over and over again.
    The Keitel movie was a gritty reality-based movie, and I love how it was set at the height of violence in New York before the Giuliani clean-up - well worth the watch.
    You make some good points.
    I never thought of the Cage Version as a Dark Comedy.
    I may have to watch it again with that in mind.
    I had a hard time with it because it felt like a very bad remake.
    But you make a good point that it isn't a remake.
    The 1992 Version is just so damn realistic that it doesn't need a part 2 or remake.
    In my opinion that is.

I read some reviews of the Port of Call version.
    It appears many viewers interrupted the film as a dark comedy.
    I don't think the producers, actors, writers and director had that in mind when filming.
    Of course that doesn't matter as the viewers have the last say in the matter.
    I also do not like the film Death to Smoochy if that helps.

On another topic I seen a young power couple hustling the Regal Riches the other night.
    They were all teched up with earpieces and what not.
    Last edited by monet; 06-20-2022 at 02:23 AM.

You make some good points.
    I never thought of the Cage Version as a Dark Comedy.
    I may have to watch it again with that in mind.
    I had a hard time with it because it felt like a very bad remake.
    But you make a good point that it isn't a remake.
    The 1992 Version is just so damn realistic that it doesn't need a part 2 or remake.
    In my opinion that is.

I read some reviews of the Port of Call version.
    It appears many viewers interrupted the film as a dark comedy.
    I don't think the producers, actors, writers and director had that in mind when filming.
    Of course that doesn't matter as the viewers have the last say in the matter.
    I also do not like the film Death to Smoochy if that helps.

On another topic I seen a young power couple hustling the Regal Riches the other night.
    They were all teched up with earpieces and what not.
    Thanks Monet. What I remember is when I saw the film at the theater there were definitely audience members laughing as Cage would escape some of these situations in tact. They also laughed when they saw the expressions of disbelief on some of the perps as Cage would shake them down for their valuables (drugs,money,etc.) - one of the funniest ones was when Cage shook down that couple outside the night club and then started grinding on the dude's girlfriend. This was actually true in the Keitel version to some extent, especially when Keitel pulled that pervert shit on those two girls who took their dad's SUV out with the broken tail light - possibly one of the only comedic scenes in an otherwise very serious movie.

Here you go tableplay.
    Another movie that has low ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB.
    In my opinion they got it completely wrong yet again.

You know I think I seen this before or bits of it.
    It's familiar but that is besides the point.
    This might be the best movie for this story ever made.
    I'm serious about that and I'm only halfway through the movie.
    The detail is so damn realistic.
    Right off the bat the way they have their faces so dirty and scabbed up is impressive.
    And the cuts heal gradually throughout the movie.
    Whoever made this movie wasn't Fucking around.
    I need to do some research but it certainly looks like it is on location.
    The sets are incredible along with the costumes.
    The acting... It's Fucking Stacy Keach and Faye Dunaway... Nuff Said.
    And it's very rare to see the story from the side of John Holliday... that's refreshing.
    Well that's my take so far.
    I think its a gem.
    I certainly have to buy a copy of this movie for repeat viewings.
    Free On YouTube...

DOC (1971)

The second half of DOC falls fast and flat in the last 40 minutes or so.
    Still worth multiple viewings but the storyline certainly changes in odd directions.
    I like how they portray Earp as it feels more realistic.
    I think 90 minutes wasn't enough time.
    During this time period it was always a big no-no to have a movie go over the 100 minute mark.
    So the movie/story seems to suffer in the last 45 minutes.
    I would need more time and thought to give ideas on how to fix it.
    All that being said I still love the attention to detail that this movie has.
    It feels like they built this town from the ground up to make this movie.
    I'll have to research all of that though to make sure.
    I'm very curious as to where they filmed it.

The second half of DOC falls fast and flat in the last 40 minutes or so.
    Still worth multiple viewings but the storyline certainly changes in odd directions.
    I like how they portray Earp as it feels more realistic.
    I think 90 minutes wasn't enough time.
    During this time period it was always a big no-no to have a movie go over the 100 minute mark.
    So the movie/story seems to suffer in the last 45 minutes.
    I would need more time and thought to give ideas on how to fix it.
    All that being said I still love the attention to detail that this movie has.
    It feels like they built this town from the ground up to make this movie.
    I'll have to research all of that though to make sure.
    I'm very curious as to where they filmed it.
    Thank you for the reco and excellent breakdown of the movie Monet, I will watch it on youtube.

Thank you for the reco and excellent breakdown of the movie Monet, I will watch it on youtube.
    No worries.
    They got lazy in the second half.
    They gave Earp some long barreled pistol that looked bent in one scene.
    The Shotguns and Shells were completely wrong for that time period.
    Plenty of other flaws to catch.
    I just liked how gritty the first half was.
    I also like how they portrayed these people.
    99% of the time I want my movies to be historically accurate.
    This is the rare time that I like a revision like this because I can feel the movie if that makes sense.

Doc: We sound like bad people, Wyatt.
    Wyatt: We are, John.

That scene alone makes the movie for me.
    That's human nature.
    That's how 98% of us are.

I wasn't a big fan of Fast Break (1979).
    Here are a couple of Black Comedies I feel are far superior.
    Good Burger and Senseless.
    I notice that Spade and Wayans aren't allowing YouTube to put that movie up for free lol.
    I'm not sure what happened between Kenan & Kel but Kel was hilarious in Good Burger.
    Of course Kenan went on to be the bigger star after he shunned Kel.
    Probably got all pissed off over a woman, money, jealousy or some shit like that.
    According to the internet they had a phone call and patched things up.

Good Burger (1997)

Senseless (1998)

lol... Hilarious.

Ok... One More that everyone hated.
    I always thought it was funny.
    I've watched it multiple times.
    I read that Hartman was depressed because of how poor this movie did.
    Anyways, it relates to the above posts since Sinbad is in Good Burger.

My quick Sinbad story.
    Years ago maybe 10 or so I seen him at Buffalo Bills.
    He just had knee surgery so he was sitting on a stool for the whole show.
    Besides the point.
    Anyhoo, he tells this joke about the cops and drunk driving.
    He says that if you make it home into your garage they shouldn't be allowed to arrest you.
    That it's like hide and go seek and olly olly oxen free.
    Your property is Home Base.
    I've used that joke ever since.
    Especially when I used to go around drunk driving.
    That Fucking Joke gets me every time even as I type this.
    The Big Mac scene on the bridge is pretty funny.

Houseguest (1995)

No worries.
    They got lazy in the second half.
    They gave Earp some long barreled pistol that looked bent in one scene.
    The Shotguns and Shells were completely wrong for that time period.
    Plenty of other flaws to catch.
    I just liked how gritty the first half was.
    I also like how they portrayed these people.
    99% of the time I want my movies to be historically accurate.
    This is the rare time that I like a revision like this because I can feel the movie if that makes sense.

Doc: We sound like bad people, Wyatt.
    Wyatt: We are, John.

That scene alone makes the movie for me.
    That's human nature.
    That's how 98% of us are.
    They say "Don't Bring a Knife to a Gunfight". But do bring a shot gun to a gunfight mother fuckers !!
    Thanks for the reco Monet. Awesome movie. Smoking opium is a great way to relieve the horrible pain of tuberculosis I guess - but Fay didn't realize that when she got pissed off at Doc and started that fire.
    Last edited by tableplay; 06-26-2022 at 02:37 PM.

I wasn't a big fan of Fast Break (1979).
    Here are a couple of Black Comedies I feel are far superior.
    Good Burger and Senseless.
    I notice that Spade and Wayans aren't allowing YouTube to put that movie up for free lol.
    I'm not sure what happened between Kenan & Kel but Kel was hilarious in Good Burger.
    Of course Kenan went on to be the bigger star after he shunned Kel.
    Probably got all pissed off over a woman, money, jealousy or some shit like that.
    According to the internet they had a phone call and patched things up.

Good Burger (1997)

Senseless (1998)
    Sorry Fast Break didn't work for you Monet. I saw it when I was a teenager at the theater, so it was from those eyes, and not those of an adult that I made that reco. Plus it was from '79.

Thanks for the two black comedy recos above, along with Houseguest. Well here is one that can't miss: "Hollywood Shuffle" (actually I shouldn't assume others will like it - but I thought it was super funny). But of course, you've probably already seen it. I remember when Sinbad first got discovered on Star Search. You knew he was going places when he blew away almost everyone else in the comedy category that season (I'm not positive, but I think it was around '84 - he took 2nd). Kudos to Star Search (Dennis Miller,Drew Carey, Dave Chappelle, etc.) as many great talents got discovered on that show.
    Last edited by tableplay; 06-26-2022 at 02:38 PM. Reason: cause I'm an idiot

They say "Don't Bring a Knife to a Gunfight". But do bring a shot gun to a gunfight mother fuckers !!
    Thanks for the reco Monet. Awesome movie. Smoking opium is a great way to relieve the horrible pain of tuberculosis I guess - but Fay didn't realize that when she got pissed off at Doc and started that fire.
    It's not your fault that I have a problem with women in Men's Sports.
    I liked the first 20 minutes or so of Fast Break if that helps.
    I never have seen Hollywood Shuffle so there is that.

I think the opium was an inaccuracy as well but it sure did make for a good scene.
    "Wong and I are going to the Palace of Mirrors."
    That was a pretty good scene and that fire looked real.
    It looked like they were actually filming the actors next to a raging fire.
    You can't do that anymore.
    Especially after Alec Baldwin.
    In my opinion she was all pissed off because she got it in her head that they were going to run away and live some normal life as Farmers or Ranchers and she probably knew the drugs would kill any chance of that happening.
    Gamblers and Whores can't have regular lives.
    They need constant gratification, action and pleasure.
    You're not getting that from living in the countryside working your fingers to the bone.
    Easy Living and Easy Money is way too addictive to just walk away from.
    Let's not forget when Doc cut the cards in the beginning he cheated lol.
    I rolled that scene back 3 or 4 times just because lol.
    I've made that move myself when I was a teenager.
    Always seems to work against the ploppies.
    Last edited by monet; 06-26-2022 at 03:14 PM.

It's not your fault that I have a problem with women in Men's Sports.
    I liked the first 20 minutes or so of Fast Break if that helps.
    In that case, I won't recommend The Bad News Bears to you (moot since you have seen that one almost certainly). Anyway you are right as far as reality is concerned - women can't compete in men's sports. You probably remember when John McEnroe got in trouble for stating the truth about that:
    "if Serena played on the men's circuit she'd be "like No. 700 in the world."
    That's actually one aspect of what makes Fast Break a comedy - the joke that Swish, or any other woman, could kick ass in Men's college basketball or any other level.
    Let's not forget when Doc cut the cards in the beginning he cheated lol.
    I rolled that scene back 3 or 4 times just because lol.
    I've made that move myself when I was a teenager.
    Always seems to work against the ploppies.
    Yes that's right, she was mistaken about his intentions for visiting the opium den (so to speak) -- he just wanted a break from the pain of consumption. Yes, he took the luck element out of the stud game and got to hook up with Faye Dunaway for his effort.

In that case, I won't recommend The Bad News Bears to you (moot since you have seen that one almost certainly).
    We have some differences in that film.
    The coach is a total Fuck Up and Drunk lol.
    The acting and writing is just too good.
    She doesn't win in the end and she is taken out of the game to save her arm.
    I know it's hypocritical and not fair but it's just such a damn good movie.
    I love the ending.
    All the kids got a bottle of beer and who doesn't love Tanner Boyle?
    Oh and they use Opera.
    Seriously... please take me back to that time period when it was ok for little kids to have a beer.

"Hey Yankees... you can take your apology and your trophy and shove 'em straight up your ass!"

Edit: That movie is so much more relatable.
    I never had to experience a girl playing on my team or leagues but everything else in that film is in my youth.
    My dad would be drinking Old Milwaukee as he was umpiring near first base.
    In Pop Warner Football I was concussed twice and nobody gave a shit, noticed or helped me lol.
    I just got up and got to the sideline or the huddle.
    It took me over ten years to learn that I was concussed.
    Of course I don't care about it or even say concussed... I just got knocked out for a moment.
    Part of the game and being a boy or man.
    Last edited by monet; 06-26-2022 at 08:51 PM.

Thread Information