Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: movie reco

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Thanks for the tip on Always Monet. I enjoy John Goodman's movies so I will check it out.

Best, tp.
    I think the love of this movie will depend on the individual.
    I have a sentimental attachment to it for many reasons.
    I watched it over and over when I was 13 to 16 years old.
    I enjoy Richard Dreyfuss in movies even though I think he worships the devil.
    Can't prove that last statement but he is a Master Mason.
    He was made a Master Mason "at sight" by the Grand Master of Masons of the District of Columbia at the Washington DC Scottish Rite building.

Anyways, I like his quirkiness on camera and it is usually the same sarcastic acting that he does.
    The movie also hits home with me with the music and I always enjoyed that song by the Platters, Smoke gets in your eyes.
    This movie is also heavily wrapped around Aviation which I enjoy tremendously.
    Comedic Love Story with a young Holly Hunter who has great charisma and energy in the movie.
    You also get a great scene with Audrey Hepburn and some nice camerawork.

I think most younger people won't enjoy the movie or it will be too slow and corny for them.
    You either have to have a lot of attachments to this movie or just love watching movies.
    An individual may have to be in the mood for this type or style of movie as well for it to resonate.
    I could see how you could watch it today and be bored to tears and change the channel.
    Perhaps 6 months later you are in a different mood and try again and love it.
    You know how these things go.
    Monet, I appreciate the excellent insight. Might I recommend The Great Waldo Pepper then if you haven't seen it. It has been many years since I watched this aviation classic. Unfortunately, as you know, Hollywood is full of devil worshipers and, as you also already know the things they do in the act of that worship are far beyond what we would call evil. I doubt a person can even become a big star in Hollywood unless they are compromised in this fashion. There is no need for me to get into specifics since you know exactly what I mean and have equal hatred of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xA2VqPvBnQ
    Here's one we watched, yesterday. A "visitor" from Cuba helped to fill in some of the blanks. Enjoy.

https://movies4u.co/movies/mucho-muc...BCN05hb3JDYz0=
    Lustin' lutins (from) NUTS:LI (Lichtenstein), unlist insult, until's sunlit!

p
    M
    u
    r
    taRd

---> MR. L(osing).

Shut it down, LMR. = Low Mind thRust, (invar.)

555 = 111 + 4*111 = 15*37, or 37*15, as 153, and 7, or, 371, and 5. As 153 on 371, to 5/7 left, as 6 +/- 1.

3/21 to 8/22 is 153 + 1 days. 321 = 107*3 + 0; 123 = 3*71 + 0. To 1/0. 822 = (-1 + 7)(37 + 100); 228 = 57[6 - (1 + 1)], ---> 11411. 15[3^2] = 153 + (5 + 1). 154 days is ~ 42.08% of year 2020. 451 = 11*41^1.

Found an 80s movie I can't remember or never seen.
    Haven't watched it yet but it is now on the list.
    Hard to beat anything that Vangelis is involved in.

A Year of Living Dangerously (1982)...

Found an 80s movie I can't remember or never seen.
    Haven't watched it yet but it is now on the list.
    Hard to beat anything that Vangelis is involved in.

A Year of Living Dangerously (1982)...

Vaguely remember it as I saw it many years ago. Pretty good movie.

Here is something interesting or at least I think is interesting.
    I watched the first 30 minutes and it seems clear that Joe Rogan hasn't watched many of his movies.
    So far he has just gone round and round with the same basic questions about Platoon.
    I feel like he really missed a great opportunity here with this interview.
    It's sort of like having Orson Welles, Marlon Brando or Mel Brooks on your show.
    I did learn a few things that I didn't know and it's kinda embarrassing to admit I didn't know this about Oliver Stone.
    He was actually in Nam and did 3 months extra on his tour.
    That has to put him well above his competition with that level of experience.
    He wrote Scarface (1983) and partied with the actual criminals.
    I am sure that I will find more things that I didn't know or realize about Stone as I finish the long interview.

I've always enjoyed Salvador over Platoon but not by much.
    I relate more to Richard Boyle compared to Sgt. Barnes.
    James Woods is really good in Salvador and the first time I watched that movie it was a good ride for me.
    Funny how they came out in the same year and basically Salvador tanked while Platoon won all the awards.
    Also funny how they basically lied, cheated and stole their way to get these movies made on shoestring budgets.
    The nice thing about the Salvador DVD is you can get the director, Oliver Stone, taking you through the whole movie which I find enjoyable.
    Earlier DVDs do that where they have the director or actors watching and talking about the whole movie.
    Groundhog Day has a great version of that with Harold Ramis.
    I'm guessing Platoon does this as well but it seems I lost my DVD copy so will have to buy another one and check it out.

Last edited by monet; 07-24-2020 at 02:11 AM.

I have not seen Salvador Monet. I think James Woods is a great actor so I will try and see it. Best Seller was one I really liked that had James Woods in it. Did you see the movie Real Genius ? I thought that one was extremely funny (and realistic).

I have not seen Salvador Monet. I think James Woods is a great actor so I will try and see it. Best Seller was one I really liked that had James Woods in it. Did you see the movie Real Genius ? I thought that one was extremely funny (and realistic).
    I seen Best Seller a couple times.
    Hard not to like how quick James Woods is.
    I seen Real Genius 20 or so odd times.
    Funny popcorn scene.
    Those are the days of Top Secret.
    That's Val Kilmer when he was in his prime...

I seen Best Seller a couple times.
    Hard not to like how quick James Woods is.
    I seen Real Genius 20 or so odd times.
    Funny popcorn scene.
    Those are the days of Top Secret.
    That's Val Kilmer when he was in his prime...

Yes Top Secret was pretty funny. I remember the same people who made that made some similar movies (same type of humor) like Crimewave (1985).
    Similar humor can be found in the Police Squad TV series (super short-lived) and Naked Gun movies with Leslie Nielson.

So I added to the DVD collection and watched a few of these yet again.
    Turns out I have seen Hopscotch many times but forgot about it.
    Enjoyable movie to veg out to and love the music/soundtrack.
    Looking forward to listening to the directors/actors break down of Platoon as that's a bonus feature.

I watched Only God Forgives last night or I should say Re-Watched it.
    I seen it when it first came out on DVD but kinda forgot about it or dismissed it.
    Supposedly it has an interconnection with the movie DRIVE.
    It's not a bad movie if you can get past the disturbing gore or subject matter.
    Not a pleasant story as it deals with the underworld and how Evil it is.
    The cinematography is amazing though with all the vibrant colors and camera shots/angles.
    It's basically a story of Good and Evil.
    It has some ugly incest themes but that goes along with this lifestyle they are portraying on film.
    I started to watch the Directors break down of the movie afterward but didn't finish.
    Looking forward to more of that as he breaks everything down as he watches the movie with you and gets interviewed.
    Actually that DVD has a bunch of bonus features of interviews and behind the scenes.
    He stated that Executioners existed for some time in Thailand and that is what this is about.
    I guess they moved to guns as it was more humane but for this film he thought the blade was a better touch.

Can't remember watching Charlie Varrick before but it is exactly the same style as Hopscotch with some difference.

Not sure if I seen Road to Utopia before but probably did and it was a bargain so bought it.

Secret Window is another easy movie to figure out but the last few minutes come together nicely and I get a good laugh from it.

Looking forward to the Love Movie with Mel Gibson as I can't recall it.
    I probably seen it but forgot it so it makes it like a new movie for me.

Currently Playing the 100k Sunday Tournament on WSOP Poker so had some time to post this finally.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So I added to the DVD collection and watched a few of these yet again.
    Turns out I have seen Hopscotch many times but forgot about it.
    Enjoyable movie to veg out to and love the music/soundtrack.
    Looking forward to listening to the directors/actors break down of Platoon as that's a bonus feature.

I watched Only God Forgives last night or I should say Re-Watched it.
    I seen it when it first came out on DVD but kinda forgot about it or dismissed it.
    Supposedly it has an interconnection with the movie DRIVE.
    It's not a bad movie if you can get past the disturbing gore or subject matter.
    Not a pleasant story as it deals with the underworld and how Evil it is.
    The cinematography is amazing though with all the vibrant colors and camera shots/angles.
    It's basically a story of Good and Evil.
    It has some ugly incest themes but that goes along with this lifestyle they are portraying on film.
    I started to watch the Directors break down of the movie afterward but didn't finish.
    Looking forward to more of that as he breaks everything down as he watches the movie with you and gets interviewed.
    Actually that DVD has a bunch of bonus features of interviews and behind the scenes.
    He stated that Executioners existed for some time in Thailand and that is what this is about.
    I guess they moved to guns as it was more humane but for this film he thought the blade was a better touch.

Can't remember watching Charlie Varrick before but it is exactly the same style as Hopscotch with some difference.

Not sure if I seen Road to Utopia before but probably did and it was a bargain so bought it.

Secret Window is another easy movie to figure out but the last few minutes come together nicely and I get a good laugh from it.

Looking forward to the Love Movie with Mel Gibson as I can't recall it.
    I probably seen it but forgot it so it makes it like a new movie for me.

Currently Playing the 100k Sunday Tournament on WSOP Poker so had some time to post this finally.
    I haven't seen Love Movie before Monet. Mel Gibson is one of the few Hollywood actors, who, like James Woods, doesn't seem compromised, and is outspoken against all the shit that goes down in that city. I remember going to the movies and watching Highlander when it was still playing. After the movie I thought that it was really enjoyable and was glad I watched it. Not too long after that, the movie was gone from the theaters and I had heard that it was a commercial failure. At that time I was like, WTF, this movie was great. Sure enough, in later years the movie became a cult classic and several Highlander movies and a TV series were made. None of the other movies or TV series was able to capture the magic of the first movie. In retrospect, perhaps the first movie was poorly promoted or something and so it became a sleeper during its initial release in the theaters.

Good luck in the tournament.

I haven't seen Love Movie before Monet. Mel Gibson is one of the few Hollywood actors, who, like James Woods, doesn't seem compromised, and is outspoken against all the shit that goes down in that city. I remember going to the movies and watching Highlander when it was still playing. After the movie I thought that it was really enjoyable and was glad I watched it. Not too long after that, the movie was gone from the theaters and I had heard that it was a commercial failure. At that time I was like, WTF, this movie was great. Sure enough, in later years the movie became a cult classic and several Highlander movies and a TV series were made. None of the other movies or TV series was able to capture the magic of the first movie. In retrospect, perhaps the first movie was poorly promoted or something and so it became a sleeper during its initial release in the theaters
    True, even though I seen all the Highlander Movies a few times over.
    However, the TV Series on USA was pretty good and ran for 6 seasons with Adrian Paul.
    I tuned in for most of those episodes and the intros were always jacked up with that music and sword fights!!
    There can be only one!
    We can't fight here we're on Holy Ground.

Last edited by monet; 08-02-2020 at 04:13 PM.

I haven't seen Love Movie before Monet. Mel Gibson is one of the few Hollywood actors, who, like James Woods, doesn't seem compromised, and is outspoken against all the shit that goes down in that city. I remember going to the movies and watching Highlander when it was still playing. After the movie I thought that it was really enjoyable and was glad I watched it. Not too long after that, the movie was gone from the theaters and I had heard that it was a commercial failure. At that time I was like, WTF, this movie was great. Sure enough, in later years the movie became a cult classic and several Highlander movies and a TV series were made. None of the other movies or TV series was able to capture the magic of the first movie. In retrospect, perhaps the first movie was poorly promoted or something and so it became a sleeper during its initial release in the theaters
    True, even though I seen all the Highlander Movies a few times over.
    However, the TV Series on USA was pretty good and ran for 6 seasons with Adrian Paul.
    I tuned in for most of those episodes and the intros were always jacked up with that music and sword fights!!
    There can be only one!
    We can't fight here we're on Holy Ground.

I guess the first one jaded me since it was so good.

You're not wrong.
    The first one was really good IMO.
    I love when the bad guy is screaming with the girl in the car lol.
    3:33 on the video below lol.
    The next 4 movies were pretty bad but somewhat watchable to me.
    I guess they made 2 more that I didn't see as they have 7 total.
    The first one with James Bond was good but like you say it got pulled out of the theaters after the first weekend.

I placed in the tournament.
    I'm sure you and the rest of the forum knows this...
    It's funny how those tournaments have so much room for skill in the early rounds.
    Once you make the money its pretty much an all in fest.
    Once you get near the final table you have some room again for skill but those blinds will murder you!
    Not a bad beat story and I probably could of waited but I attacked the Big Blind from the Small Blind with 22 for 75k all in.
    Blinds were 2500/5000.
    He snapped called me with K10 off and flopped a 10... game over.
    I didn't wear a mask or goggles at my computer if you were wondering.

Last edited by monet; 08-02-2020 at 06:32 PM.

You're not wrong.
    The first one was really good IMO.
    I love when the bad guy is screaming with the girl in the car lol.
    3:33 on the video below lol.
    The next 4 movies were pretty bad but somewhat watchable to me.
    I guess they made 2 more that I didn't see as they have 7 total.
    The first one with James Bond was good but like you say it got pulled out of the theaters after the first weekend.

I placed in the tournament.
    I'm sure you and the rest of the forum knows this...
    It's funny how those tournaments have so much room for skill in the early rounds.
    Once you make the money its pretty much an all in fest.
    Once you get near the final table you have some room again for skill but those blinds will murder you!
    Not a bad beat story and I probably could of waited but I attacked the Big Blind from the Small Blind with 22 for 75k all in.
    Blinds were 2500/5000.
    He snapped called me with K10 off and flopped a 10... game over.
    I didn't wear a mask or goggles at my computer if you were wondering.

Great job in the tournament Monet, glad to hear you did well. In Highlander 2, it wasn't clear to me how Ramirez came back since of course he was beheaded in the first one and I started watching the 2nd one after whatever scene it was that explained or showed how he came back (it was on Pluto TV a few days back). Michael Ironside and John C. Mcginley were perfect for their roles in that 2nd movie. I saw the 3rd one some years ago. In that one I remember there was some other dimension or plane of existence where there was some sort of theocracy of Immortals - I remember the Kurgen praying there. I can't really remember much else of it.

Caught the movie Gorky Park on Epix2 last night.
    I love the music and miss the 80s!
    I'm not exactly recommending this movie as it is good and bad but for me its something I grew up with and enjoy the nostalgia.
    The storyline bothers me a bit with the last 30 minutes and this movie is over 2 hours.
    I also have a problem with all of them speaking perfect English but when they write it's all done in Russian and they even overlay English over the Russian words lol.
    My last beef is they filmed it in Helsinki and Stockholm as the crew was denied access to Moscow and the real Gorky Park.
    All that being said I still enjoy the movie for what it is lol.
    Love seeing the old CCCP stuff.
    Love all the Volvo and boxed cars of that era.

Last edited by monet; 08-03-2020 at 07:37 AM.

Caught the movie Gorky Park on Epix2 last night.
    I love the music and miss the 80s!
    I'm not exactly recommending this movie as it is good and bad but for me its something I grew up with and enjoy the nostalgia.
    The storyline bothers me a bit with the last 30 minutes and this movie is over 2 hours.
    I also have a problem with all of them speaking perfect English but when they write it's all done in Russian and they even overlay English over the Russian words lol.
    My last beef is they filmed it in Helsinki and Stockholm as the crew was denied access to Moscow and the real Gorky Park.
    All that being said I still enjoy the movie for what it is lol.
    Love seeing the old CCCP stuff.
    Love all the Volvo and boxed cars of that era.

I will have to re-watch that one at some point. It's been many years since I saw it and have completely forgotten most of it - I remember enjoying it at the time. Along the swords and sorcery vein, I saw the movie Solomon Kane a few weeks ago. For a low budget movie it wasn't bad at all and seemed to leave room for a sequel.

Thanks for the tip on Always Monet. I enjoy John Goodman's movies so I will check it out.

Best, tp.
    Since you enjoy John Goodman movies, might I recommend Barton Fink? It is a little known Cohen brothers movie. John Goodman is great in it.

It is sort of a strange movie, people either love it or hate it, but if you read between the lines it is a send up of Hollywood and some really funny scenes about how movies get made.

Originally Posted by DGenBen View Post

Best, tp.
    Since you enjoy John Goodman movies, might I recommend Barton Fink? It is a little known Cohen brothers movie. John Goodman is great in it.

It is sort of a strange movie, people either love it or hate it, but if you read between the lines it is a send up of Hollywood and some really funny scenes about how movies get made.
    Thanks Ben. Yes I enjoyed that one - it's been many years since I saw it.

Might as well stay on my 80s theme as I always do lol.
    This movie is one of my favorites because I watched it over and over and over from 1987 to 1989.
    Hadn't watched it since but they have been playing it a lot on my movie channels.
    I think Encore.
    Anyways, many people don't like it but I love it.
    I can watch it every day that I see it in the TV Listings.
    I guess it brings back my school day memories as I played organized Football, Basketball and Baseball up till 11th grade.
    Interesting combination/comedy/drama with Mork and Wyatt Earp.

The Best of Times (1986)

Might as well stay on my 80s theme as I always do lol.
    This movie is one of my favorites because I watched it over and over and over from 1987 to 1989.
    Hadn't watched it since but they have been playing it a lot on my movie channels.
    I think Encore.
    Anyways, many people don't like it but I love it.
    I can watch it every day that I see it in the TV Listings.
    I guess it brings back my school day memories as I played organized Football, Basketball and Baseball up till 11th grade.
    Interesting combination/comedy/drama with Mork and Wyatt Earp.

The Best of Times (1986)
    Yes that one was pretty funny. I would say my favorite movie with Kurt Russell in it was Escape From New York. Really one of my favorite movies period. John Carpenter's The Thing was also terrific IMHO. I remember some funny movies (in a kid's eyes since I watched them as a kid) Kurt did in the 70's like the Strongest Man in the World and the related The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. Robin Williams did a good job in Good Will Hunting and Fisher King I thought.

Thread Information