Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: movie reco

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    I was having an argument with myself today that Russel Crowe is in this Soccer Movie.
    Turns out that I was wrong about that.
    Just some no name Scottish Doppelganger who actually played the game professionally.
    I used to go to the movies and pay for one and sneak around till they closed.
    I'd watch 5 or 6 movies depending.
    I saw this on the big screen.
    I liked it.
    You can probably find a better copy but this one is free on YouTube Currently.
    Robert Duvall is the coach and Michael Keaton has a smaller role.
    I read some ugly reviews about this movie, and it has been over 20 years since I watched it, so maybe it really isn't that good.
    You'll have to decide for yourself if you watch it.

A Shot at Glory (2000)
    I enjoyed the movie Monet, thanks again for the reco.
    A few rewrites:
    1) Jackie should never have been written to take his own car to football matches from the beginning. He would have gotten iced by his team mates (or worse) no matter how talented and anyone that's played team sports knows this (it adds insult to injury that towards the end of the movie he came around in his attitude and took the team bus) as you know.
    2) Peter Cameron (Keaton) would have gotten tossed out of the team dinner party if he told everyone there that he would not move the 100 year old team to Dublin if they won the Scottish all divisions tournament. Possibly had his car tires (or bicycle stolen if he bicycled in) slashed, etc. Maybe not ran that scene or maybe rewrite the scene with him announcing a new stadium in town if they won or some other big reward. The imminent move to Dublin was already known by the town so why incite violence and risk personal harm - doesn't make sense. Really, it's hard to believe an owner would interface with the town in person if he knows the town is already aware he is going to move the team.
    3) Give the Scots some credit and use a Scotsman in the Kilnockie manager role (instead of Duvall playing a Scotsman) - maybe they figured a big star in the role would get the film more views, but I think a solid film like this would stand on its own without having to do this.

It's always fun watching the Scots, Welsh, and Irish national teams play because they have a very scrappy style of play with a high work rate so they can surprise any team in the world with this style (i.e. "winning dirty" like Brad Gilbert used to do in tennis).
    It appears that you know more about this subject than I do.
    I was the only person in the theater, and it was a movie with Duvall and Sports, so it was fine for me.
    I like how Keaton didn't do any accents or change his mannerisms.
    He was the same person in this movie he always has been which I found funny.
    I've only watched the first 10 minutes, so I forget a lot of it.
    I only remember the ending with the penalty kick.
    And it's a pretty basic story that's been told many times over in different ways.
    What I do know about movies is that you need a big name or two to get it green lit.
    The writer and or director usually just want to get the funding to get the thing made so they take who they can get.
    It was Free on YouTube.

I was having an argument with myself today that Russel Crowe is in this Soccer Movie.
    Turns out that I was wrong about that.
    Just some no name Scottish Doppelganger who actually played the game professionally.
    I used to go to the movies and pay for one and sneak around till they closed.
    I'd watch 5 or 6 movies depending.
    I saw this on the big screen.
    I liked it.
    You can probably find a better copy but this one is free on YouTube Currently.
    Robert Duvall is the coach and Michael Keaton has a smaller role.
    I read some ugly reviews about this movie, and it has been over 20 years since I watched it, so maybe it really isn't that good.
    You'll have to decide for yourself if you watch it.

A Shot at Glory (2000)
    I enjoyed the movie Monet, thanks again for the reco.
    A few rewrites:
    1) Jackie should never have been written to take his own car to football matches from the beginning. He would have gotten iced by his team mates (or worse) no matter how talented and anyone that's played team sports knows this (it adds insult to injury that towards the end of the movie he came around in his attitude and took the team bus) as you know.
    2) Peter Cameron (Keaton) would have gotten tossed out of the team dinner party if he told everyone there that he would not move the 100 year old team to Dublin if they won the Scottish all divisions tournament. Possibly had his car tires (or bicycle stolen if he bicycled in) slashed, etc. Maybe not ran that scene or maybe rewrite the scene with him announcing a new stadium in town if they won or some other big reward. The imminent move to Dublin was already known by the town so why incite violence and risk personal harm - doesn't make sense. Really, it's hard to believe an owner would interface with the town in person if he knows the town is already aware he is going to move the team.
    3) Give the Scots some credit and use a Scotsman in the Kilnockie manager role (instead of Duvall playing a Scotsman) - maybe they figured a big star in the role would get the film more views, but I think a solid film like this would stand on its own without having to do this.

It's always fun watching the Scots, Welsh, and Irish national teams play because they have a very scrappy style of play with a high work rate so they can surprise any team in the world with this style (i.e. "winning dirty" like Brad Gilbert used to do in tennis).
    It appears that you know more about this subject than I do.
    I was the only person in the theater, and it was a movie with Duvall and Sports, so it was fine for me.
    I like how Keaton didn't do any accents or change his mannerisms.
    He was the same person in this movie he always has been which I found funny.
    I've only watched the first 10 minutes, so I forget a lot of it.
    I only remember the ending with the penalty kick.
    And it's a pretty basic story that's been told many times over in different ways.
    What I do know about movies is that you need a big name or two to get it green lit.
    The writer and or director usually just want to get the funding to get the thing made so they take who they can get.
    It was Free on YouTube.
    I rewatched this movie last night.
    I was wrong.
    It's not that good of a movie.
    I forgot that Brian Cox was in it.
    I loved when he said: One Fucking Nothing, You think that's funny? We're nothing against a bunch of rubbish? You're all smiles!?
    That was funny but the movie itself was pretty bad.
    Probably why I haven't watched it in 23 years.
    It was like they copy/pasted the whole darn thing and shot the in-between scenes on video.
    The writing/script was pretty awful.
    Keaton doing Keaton in this non-comedic drama and Duvall doing his "accent" was odd to say the least.
    I enjoyed Tulsa a lot more.
    Maybe I was just being generous because I watched it in the theater for a discounted rate.
    Felt like I was getting over on them.
    I guess Duvall, Keaton and Cox just figured it was an easy pay day and took the money and ran.
    I forgot about the days that Keaton dyed his hair blond on top, trying to keep his youthful image, lol.

I was looking for some numbers on this movie and all I could find is that it grossed 133k lol.
    I'm guessing it was a Tax Write Off, Money Laundering Scheme or some other Scam.
    Maybe the three named actors didn't take any serious money like Alec Baldwin in Rust!
    Labor of Love... lul.

I was looking for some numbers on this movie and all I could find is that it grossed 133k lol.
    I'm guessing it was a Tax Write Off, Money Laundering Scheme or some other Scam.
    Maybe the three named actors didn't take any serious money like Alec Baldwin in Rust!
    Labor of Love... lul.
    Yes, the show must go on - Baldwin is continuing the Rust shoot elsewhere as you know. The guy's got good lawyers. With regard to A Shot of Glory, the 133K spells Limited Release to me and that may be why the first time I saw it was on Youtube (thank you again for bringing it to my attention) as I simply don't remember it being available in the theaters at that time and I was going to the movies at least two times a week back then (a given theater didn't have all the movies I wanted to see so movie hopping one theater wouldn't cut it). Jackie's pretty wife was not a good actress and I think she got the role based on her looks and attitude on the audition couch. I thought it was a solid flick, but then I am a soccer fan and former player.

Yes, the show must go on - Baldwin is continuing the Rust shoot elsewhere as you know. The guy's got good lawyers. With regard to A Shot of Glory, the 133K spells Limited Release to me and that may be why the first time I saw it was on Youtube (thank you again for bringing it to my attention) as I simply don't remember it being available in the theaters at that time and I was going to the movies at least two times a week back then (a given theater didn't have all the movies I wanted to see so movie hopping one theater wouldn't cut it). Jackie's pretty wife was not a good actress and I think she got the role based on her looks and attitude on the audition couch. I thought it was a solid flick, but then I am a soccer fan and former player.
    Yeah, she certainly was pretty.
    Reminds me a little bit of a TV Movie with some Big Names.
    The problem for me, this go around, was all the cutbacks from actual footage to fake footage and how many times they used the exact same shot of the crowd going wild.
    I think the first time I watched it I was less jaded, so I swallowed the emotionalism more.
    This time I didn't buy all the regret and crying.
    Anyways, good discussion though.
    Over the years, I have ran into a number of low budget soccer (fútbol) movies that I remember being good.
    They were movies I would catch on the late, late movie or back on AMC in the early 90s.
    When I get time, I'll try to track them down, maybe.
    Good Talk!

Yeah, she certainly was pretty.
    Reminds me a little bit of a TV Movie with some Big Names.
    The problem for me, this go around, was all the cutbacks from actual footage to fake footage and how many times they used the exact same shot of the crowd going wild.
    I think the first time I watched it I was less jaded, so I swallowed the emotionalism more.
    This time I didn't buy all the regret and crying.
    Anyways, good discussion though.
    Over the years, I have ran into a number of low budget soccer (fútbol) movies that I remember being good.
    They were movies I would catch on the late, late movie or back on AMC in the early 90s.
    When I get time, I'll try to track them down, maybe.
    Good Talk!
    Well for sure Victory (Stallone) is one we both remember being good (but not low budget) - probably my favorite soccer movie. Then there was that funny Hong Kong soccer movie Shaolin Soccer. Yes enjoyable talk.

Well for sure Victory (Stallone) is one we both remember being good (but not low budget) - probably my favorite soccer movie. Then there was that funny Hong Kong soccer movie Shaolin Soccer. Yes enjoyable talk.
    I might be thinking of a movie about the Olympics instead of Soccer.
    Not Chariots of Fire obviously as nobody who has seen that movie can forget the music.
    I ran into a Sean Bean movie and I'm not a big fan of Sean Bean.
    I don't think I ever seen it.
    But I may check it out just because.

When Saturday Night Comes (1996)

Not Chariots of Fire obviously as nobody who has seen that movie can forget the music.

Thanks Monet, I haven't seen that one. I'll check it out. One role I remember Sean from was when he played Spence, the inexperienced fraud of a fuck-up that De Niro's character was forced to work as part of a crew (paid to "acquire" a heavily guarded briefcase) in the movie Ronin. And of course the Lord of the Rings movies. You probably got your fill of him in Civ 6.
    Name:  SB7VTyQ.png
Views: 162
Size:  10.0 KB

Thanks Monet, I haven't seen that one. I'll check it out. One role I remember Sean from was when he played Spence, the inexperienced fraud of a fuck-up that De Niro's character was forced to work as part of a crew (paid to "acquire" a heavily guarded briefcase) in the movie Ronin. And of course the Lord of the Rings movies. You probably got your fill of him in Civ 6.
    I turn off all audio and music in all Civ games so I never listened to him in that game.
    I watched this movie though and found it entertaining enough.
    In my opinion it is a better all-around movie compared to A Shot at Glory.
    It's focused around soccer but I wouldn't call it a soccer movie.
    It's free on YouTube but I think the ratio is a bit off.
    It was good enough for the price and looked good enough on my TV.
    It appears that these movies have to have a very "girl next door" woman in them.
    She gets naked in this one.
    That's why the age restriction over on this site.
    Link works though.

I turn off all audio and music in all Civ games so I never listened to him in that game.
    I watched this movie though and found it entertaining enough.
    In my opinion it is a better all-around movie compared to A Shot at Glory.
    It's focused around soccer but I wouldn't call it a soccer movie.
    It's free on YouTube but I think the ratio is a bit off.
    It was good enough for the price and looked good enough on my TV.
    It appears that these movies have to have a very "girl next door" woman in them.
    She gets naked in this one.
    That's why the age restriction over on this site.
    Link works though.
    Thanks for the link Monet. I'll watch this movie on Youtube using your provided link.

I watched When Saturday Night Comes on Youtube using the link you kindly provided. I agree with your opinion of the movie. The main character got himself sorted out in the nick of time. The overarching theme IMHO is, you don't appreciate what you have until you've lost it and he got the 2nd chances that most people don't get (with his futbol career and girlfriend/wife to be) and took advantage of them. It seemed like his father got himself sorted out too which was good to see. A TV movie feel except with swear words and nudity. Solid movie which falls into the "absolutely no reason not to watch it" category. thanks again for the reco.

I have to post this in correlation with the song reco.
    I own the DvD and watch it from time to time.
    Not sure why the movie is so damn emotional, but it just has something to it.
    Really good camera work in general and especially of the outdoor landscape.
    I guess the movie is very nostalgic for me and many others when I read the comments.
    Some people call this movie Bronco Billy.
    I tend to think of it as The Outlaw Josey Wales Part Two.
    It's literally the same entire ensemble.
    And I'm not sure why it seems that every movie Sondra Locke did with Clint she, had a rape scene before he saved her.
    I guess it was a winning formula!
    Can't seem to find the entire movie.
    I'm not big into 1080p HD renditions but they made this look much crisper than what I get from my dvd player.
    I love the cars and parking lot in the opening roll up.
    Really miss that era.

Last edited by monet; 06-02-2023 at 07:27 PM.

And I'm not sure why it seems that every movie Sondra Locke did with Clint she, had a rape scene before he saved her.
    That's right. Even Sudden Impact had a gang rape scene in it as you'll recall. I enjoyed Bronco Billy - although it has been some time since I have seen it;thanks for posting.
    https://lookmovie2.to/movies/view/th...sey-wales-1976

That's right. Even Sudden Impact had a gang rape scene in it as you'll recall. I enjoyed Bronco Billy - although it has been some time since I have seen it;thanks for posting.
    Similar Premise in The Gauntlet, Every Which Way But Loose and Any Which Way You Can.
    All pretty good flicks.
    Every Which Way But Loose is probably my favorite of those three.
    We're never gonna get movies like that again.
    I never thought we could screw up movie making.
    I'm looking forward to Oppenheimer, but I got this nagging feeling even Nolan is going to screw it up in today's climate.

By the way, whenever I see Scatman Crothers, all I can see is The Shining and the Elevator Scene.
    That movie and scene leaves a permanent impression in your mind.

Similar Premise in The Gauntlet, Every Which Way But Loose and Any Which Way You Can.
    All pretty good flicks.
    Every Which Way But Loose is probably my favorite of those three.
    We're never gonna get movies like that again.
    I never thought we could screw up movie making.
    I'm looking forward to Oppenheimer, but I got this nagging feeling even Nolan is going to screw it up in today's climate.

By the way, whenever I see Scatman Crothers, all I can see is The Shining and the Elevator Scene.
    That movie and scene leaves a permanent impression in your mind.
    Yes, Scatman was great in that movie and in many others - an unforgettable voice. An irreplaceable character actor, like Slim Pickens. Thanks for posting about Oppenheimer, I didn't know about it.

Yes, Scatman was great in that movie and in many others - an unforgettable voice. An irreplaceable character actor, like Slim Pickens. Thanks for posting about Oppenheimer, I didn't know about it.
    No worries.
    Just another heads up in case you didn't know.
    Ridley Scott is at it again with Joaquin Phoenix as Napoleon.
    Gonna be damn near impossible to outdo Waterloo (1970) as they used 15,000+ extras for reenacting the battle scenes.
    This movie taught 15,000+ Soviet Army extras 150-year-old infantry moves!!
    I have that dvd as I posted about it pages ago but my bragging knows no bounds. (Smug Smiley Face)
    Joaquin Phoenix and Ridley Scott are pretty good at not going woke in movies, so fingers crossed!

P.S. I still don't understand why Ridley and Crowe didn't team up for a second edition of Robin Hood.
    That movie was just getting good when it ended.
    Oh well... it's still pretty good and I watch it from time to time with the Uncle!
    Very similar style to his Kingdom of Heaven, which we usually put in there for a double feature movie night.
    Last edited by monet; 06-03-2023 at 12:19 PM.

I know I post too much but I just have to post this anyways.
    The ratio seems off as I think it is zoomed in a little bit but the 1080 HD rendering is nice.
    And it's free which is always a bonus for anyone who is lurking.
    Those Fucking Calvary Charges are EPIC!
    No Fucking CGI.
    They did it for reals homes!

Seriously though, all that cannon fire, dust and horse manure lol.
    Imagine making this movie!?
    Sergey Bondarchuk for the win!

I know I post too much but I just have to post this anyways.
    The ratio seems off as I think it is zoomed in a little bit but the 1080 HD rendering is nice.
    And it's free which is always a bonus for anyone who is lurking.
    Those Fucking Calvary Charges are EPIC!
    No Fucking CGI.
    They did it for reals homes!

Seriously though, all that cannon fire, dust and horse manure lol.
    Imagine making this movie!?
    Sergey Bondarchuk for the win!
    Thanks for the heads up regarding the new Napoleon movie Monet. I don't think I have seen Waterloo, so I will check it out.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the new Napoleon movie Monet. I don't think I have seen Waterloo, so I will check it out.
    It's not for everyone.
    Long and somewhat slow.
    It's just so darn epic.
    Imagine having to direct thousands of soldiers day in and day out.
    The hardcore history buffs get all upset with the movie because of the wrong dialect or uniforms.
    They nitpick on just about everything.
    It's just not good enough for them but in my opinion, it is by far the best recreation of a battle, on film.
    I don't think the history buffs understand what it would be like to be in charge of over 15,000 people.
    And have them do what you want when you want.
    I have a hard enough time ruling over two people in my life lol.

I don't think the history buffs understand what it would be like to be in charge of over 15,000 people.
    I can only imagine what the budget must have been like - probably a record or near one for the time if I had to guess.

Thread Information